Formal Nights.

mklions

I am struggling to find if there are any formal nights on our forthcoming cruise on the Wind. ( Dakar to Lisbon 14 nights)

My understanding that because it is classed as a expedition cruise,( which I struggle to understand why?) there isn't any formal nights, but I just want to make sure as my DW does not want to pack evening dresses if not needed.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, mklions said:

I am struggling to find if there are any formal nights on our forthcoming cruise on the Wind. ( Dakar to Lisbon 14 nights)

My understanding that because it is classed as a expedition cruise,( which I struggle to understand why?) there isn't any formal nights, but I just want to make sure as my DW does not want to pack evening dresses if not needed.

Thank you.

To be honest, even if there are formal nights she doesn’t need evening dresses from everything I have read here. 

Expedition cruises do not have any formal nights. There will be a few informal nights, where a jacket but no tie is required for men, and the rest will be casual. We found that Silversea does not enforce the jacket rule on expedition ships, so it's up to you whether or not you want to bring a jacket/blazer. Your wife does not need evening dresses. For the informal nights, either a regular dress, or black pants with a nice dressy top is fine.

I have just received an email from SS prior to the Silver Wind Arctic cruise late next month.  The dress code states no sports shoes after 6pm.  When I was on Wind in the Antarctic, that was all that most passengers wore most of the time!  With nice jeans or slacks, with polo shirts or button through shirts.  The occasional leather lace-up or slip on was seen, or me in open sandals nearly all the time. 

Many of us wore smart casual pants and tops at dinner, but on the Captain's night and one other some ladies wore a dress they would wear to a nice restaurant, or slacks and a pretty top.  Many still wore slacks and a jumper (pullover) though.   Expedition cruises are casual (but not daggy).

• Like 1

Thank you all,

That's great the ball gowns can now stay at home. Which in turn will be less weight in the cases for me to lug through airports!

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Port Power said:

The dress code states no sports shoes after 6pm.

On an expedition, SMH.  My guess is that the crowd will go barefoot.😄

On our recent Antarctica C2C there were a few shabby dressers in the beginning including baseball caps and t shirts at dinner.  It did seem to get sorted out. I believe the offenders were tossed overboard by a group of passengers. Orcas seems to enjoy them.

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, mklions said:

Thank you all,

That's great the ball gowns can now stay at home. Which in turn will be less weight in the cases for me to lug through airports!

In my experience ball gowns have never been necessary. I don't even wear regular dresses. Slacks and tops are my choice of attire.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

On our recent Antarctica C2C there were a few shabby dressers in the beginning including baseball caps and t shirts at dinner.  It did seem to get sorted out. I believe the offenders were tossed overboard by a group of passengers. Orcas seems to enjoy them.

Yikes! I better watch out, when we ever manage to sail together. You know I can't fit too many formal clothes in that carryon...

On 4/20/2024 at 3:02 PM, mklions said:

We've done seven expedition sailings on Silversea from 2009 to last year, and there has never been a "formal" night in the same sense as there is on board the classic fleet. Some passengers dress up more for the Captain's welcome and farewell (I usually bring a jacket and tie). Some don't. Take your choice, or take your chances (as per highplanesdrifter's post above) I guess?

We're sailing the Kimberley in June and we're not planning to dress up in formal attire. Our goal is to avoid being thrown overboard to the salties! I have to look at my lighter jackets to see what will work in that climate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Yikes! I better watch out, when we ever manage to sail together. You know I can't fit too many formal clothes in that carryon...

We've done seven expedition sailings on Silversea from 2009 to last year, and there has never been a "formal" night in the same sense as there is on board the classic fleet. Some passengers dress up more for the Captain's welcome and farewell (I usually bring a jacket and tie). Some don't. Take your choice, or take your chances (as per highplanesdrifter's post above) I guess?

We're sailing the Kimberley in June and we're not planning to dress up in formal attire. Our goal is to avoid being thrown overboard to the salties! I have to look at my lighter jackets to see what will work in that climate.

In the heat of the tropics, no one on Silver Explorer ever wore a jacket. Zilch!  Too hot.  Wear slacks/cargo pants and a cotton collared shirt on Captain’s night rather than a polo top, and polos the rest of the time.  For ladies, a simple cotton dress is fine, or pants and a cool top. My sleeveless cotton dresses were so cool, although not my usual restaurant standard. Passengers dressed for the weather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

On an expedition, SMH.  My guess is that the crowd will go barefoot.😄

Thank goodness for that, and knowing how orcas like to play with their food I hope it wasn’t quick. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

In the heat of the tropics, no one on Silver Explorer ever wore a jacket. Zilch!  Too hot.  Wear slacks/cargo pants and a cotton collared shirt on Captain’s night rather than a polo top, and polos the rest of the time.  For ladies, a simple cotton dress is fine, or pants and a cool top. My sleeveless cotton dresses were so cool, although not my usual restaurant standard. Passengers dressed for the weather.

It would take more than a 42c heat to force me to ditch my Dinner/Smoking Jackets. I Might consider it over 50c though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

In all seriousness there are expeditions, and then there are EXPEDITIONS!

Sea days, fluff up and wear a nice shirt or blouse, sundress or jacket if you're feeling natty.  It's always nice to have one spiffy outfit.  The intense days when you're on the last zodiac just clean up and leave the baseball cap and t shirt in the room....please.

@DavyWavey70. Fortunately the Orcas deemed me inedible and returned me to the zodiac unharmed after a lovely ride. 😃

@jpalbny the stars will align! Retirement is around the corner,  right?

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Haha 1