Cancellation help

Recently we had a bad experience on booking a couple of cruises. We are loyal Carnival cruiser’s. The first cancellation we had the insurance but didn’t qualify for a refund. We then booked another cruise but didn’t get the insurance due to the fact of our experience with cruise #1 and the short period of time between booking and the actual cruise itself. Bad luck was again on our side as my elderly father was hospitalized the week b4 our cruise. As I am his only relative instate I was unable to make this cruise. We lost out on total cruise cost. I then asked for at least the points towards my platinum status as I had paid for the cruise. This was also denied. Any thoughts on this experience?

Several years ago we didn't go on a cruise (bad weather).  No insurance so we lost the fare and we didn't get the points either.  The logic was that if you aren't spending $$$ on the ship, so they aren't getting additional revenue. 

Makes no sense to me....since they're getting the fare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelerPink said:

Recently we had a bad experience on booking a couple of cruises. We are loyal Carnival cruiser’s. The first cancellation we had the insurance but didn’t qualify for a refund. We then booked another cruise but didn’t get the insurance due to the fact of our experience with cruise #1 and the short period of time between booking and the actual cruise itself. Bad luck was again on our side as my elderly father was hospitalized the week b4 our cruise. As I am his only relative instate I was unable to make this cruise. We lost out on total cruise cost. I then asked for at least the points towards my platinum status as I had paid for the cruise. This was also denied. Any thoughts on this experience?

Get insurance.  No one gets points for cancelled cruises

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Buy insurance at the same time you book the cruise and then you can get cancellation for any reason with some insurances. And no you were not able to cruise so no points

Edited by dbrucern

Not sure what you're asking for.

If I don't take a flight that I've paid for, I don't earn the mileage. 

My advice would be to do better research and educate yourself better on what insurance does cover and more importantly, what insurance does not cover.

Here's a good link to begin that education

Travel Insurance Frequently Asked Questions « Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

• Like 3

Sounds like a "live and learn" lesson. Always get insurance, but not through the cruise line. Make sure whatever policy you go with has a 'cancel for any reason' rider on it. I could not imagine taking any vacation without travel insurance. Not because of the risk of cancelling, but the risk of a medical issue happening. 

• Like 3