Mexican Riviera with kids in August ... please help me keep them cool!

Hello! We are booked on the Panorama 7-day sailing to Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. I have never been to any of these ports (nor anywhere in Mexico other than the Caribbean side).

We are sailing in August so it's going to be hotter than hot and I just want the kids to be able to swim and have some shade. Ideally, beach, beach and more beach, but after doing some research I'm feeling so dismayed. Are there really so few swimmable beach options available at these ports? I even look through all of Carnival's excursions and read all the reviews and I'm just at a loss. The beaches sound not very nice or seem not appropriate for kids or swarming with vendors. 

There were a few sailing/snorkel tours that sounded nice but the age limit doesn't work for those unfortunately as I have a 5 year old (they were 8+). In the Caribbean I always book private tours, but I'm really hesitant about doing that in Mexico with the kids. 

I could REALLY use some pointing in the right direction to get my kids in the water and hubby and I under some guaranteed shade! 

We tend to get a day pass at a hotel.  In puerto Vallarta we went to the Westin which is an on beach resort.  You have the options of the manicured beach or you can always fall back on the multiple pools they have.  Plus it’s nice to have amenities such as a bathroom, showers and food as you need it.  I used a site called resort pass .com and you can browse the options.  In the pass the waves have been pretty knarly and there were riptides.  Wasn’t like the brochure.

• Like 2

Try resortforaday.com.

I don’t do Mexico. But if I did, I would definitely do a resort.

You can get ideas from TripAdvisor or the ports of call boards on CC here.  

As someone who doesn’t tolerate sun or being hot, this is what I do:

-Wear a brimmed hat. 

-Bring a parasol or umbrella for walking around. 

-Bring a personal fan.  Amazon has lots of options. I use this one, which clips onto your shirt and stays charged and blows a good breeze. It can blow air up your shirt if clipped on your waistband or clip it on your neckline to blow on your face.  

https://a.co/d/aPAf4y7

Or this is a good one for your face. 
https://a.co/d/3xOJ62w

This one looks interesting 

https://a.co/d/9Ywaz1E

• Like 2

Try Stone Island in Mazatlan, easy to get to, long stretch of beach with lots of beach restaurants where you can get loungers and umbrellas. The water is pretty swimmable . In Mexico, its hard to avoid vendors on a beach unless you pay to go to a private resort, but to us its no biggie.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Medano Beach in Cabo is perfect. When you walk out of the dock area there will be tons of barkers selling water taxi tours of the arches and they can also drop you off and pick you up from Medano beach. We paid $17 per person but we had 7 in our group, I think it is normally $20 PP. The tour of the arches was fabulous and so was the beach. You tell the captain what time you want to be picked up and he comes back to get you, you are required to stay at least 2 hours. The beach and water are wonderful, closest to the Caribbean I have seen on the Pacific Ocean. The beach is lined with bars and restaurants with beach loungers and inside covered seating. The most popular are Mango Deck and the Office. We went to the Hungry Shark because it was the closest to where we were dropped off and really enjoyed it. You can look them up online and make reservations if you want to. 

In Puerto Vallarta there are nice beach resorts in Puerto Nuevo about thirty minutes from the port. You can book day passes through Resort For A Day and taxi to and from. The beaches and surf are very similar to Southern California so I think you will find them appropriate for swimming if is not an exceptionally rough day. We took our grandson to the Marriott because it is in town and close the port. The beach there is not as nice as Puerto Nuevo but he was out there anyway rolling around in the waves. I think people that are used to the Caribbean and Florida beaches are intimidated by the big surf in the Pacific Ocean. The pool was huge and gorgeous, we had a great day there. The nearby Westin is also an option.

Look into Stone Island in Mazatlan, I have not been there but heard good things and the beach looks lovely. You can find lots of info and pics on Trip Advisor. It’s a short walk from the ship where you can hire a water taxi to take you there. I’ll add a few pics of Cabo and the Marriott for reference. 

IMG_5356.jpeg

IMG_5362.jpeg

IMG_4971.jpeg

IMG_4964.jpeg

IMG_5351.jpeg

IMG_4988.jpeg

IMG_5366.jpeg

IMG_5355.jpeg

Edited by LaRue1975
  • Like 2

We sailed this itinerary on the Panorama. We love Mexico - Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, etc. But was very disappointed in this cruise. We went in July. First off, the sea days at the front and end are cold. It's the air blowing off the Pacific. VERY different than any Caribbean cruise out of Texas or Florida. People mostly stayed inside to do things. The weather during Mexico days was nice but we were also disappointed in the beaches. In Cabo, our excursion included beach time but the waves were too strong to even get out into the water. We won't sail from the West coast again for these reasons.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ranyw said:

We tend to get a day pass at a hotel.  In puerto Vallarta we went to the Westin which is an on beach resort.  You have the options of the manicured beach or you can always fall back on the multiple pools they have.  Plus it’s nice to have amenities such as a bathroom, showers and food as you need it.  I used a site called resort pass .com and you can browse the options.  In the pass the waves have been pretty knarly and there were riptides.  Wasn’t like the brochure.

Thank you so much for this! Would you recommend the West specifically or should I look for something else?

13 hours ago, audcc77 said:

Try resortforaday.com.

I don’t do Mexico. But if I did, I would definitely do a resort.

You can get ideas from TripAdvisor or the ports of call boards on CC here.  

As someone who doesn’t tolerate sun or being hot, this is what I do:

-Wear a brimmed hat. 

-Bring a parasol or umbrella for walking around. 

-Bring a personal fan.  Amazon has lots of options. I use this one, which clips onto your shirt and stays charged and blows a good breeze. It can blow air up your shirt if clipped on your waistband or clip it on your neckline to blow on your face.  

https://a.co/d/aPAf4y7

Or this is a good one for your face. 
https://a.co/d/3xOJ62w

This one looks interesting 

https://a.co/d/9Ywaz1E

Thank you, great tips! I don't usually do Mexico either but it is what it is!

8 hours ago, pinto18 said:

Try Stone Island in Mazatlan, easy to get to, long stretch of beach with lots of beach restaurants where you can get loungers and umbrellas. The water is pretty swimmable . In Mexico, its hard to avoid vendors on a beach unless you pay to go to a private resort, but to us its no biggie.

I'll have to check this out, thank you!

6 hours ago, LaRue1975 said:

Medano Beach in Cabo is perfect. When you walk out of the dock area there will be tons of barkers selling water taxi tours of the arches and they can also drop you off and pick you up from Medano beach. We paid $17 per person but we had 7 in our group, I think it is normally $20 PP. The tour of the arches was fabulous and so was the beach. You tell the captain what time you want to be picked up and he comes back to get you, you are required to stay at least 2 hours. The beach and water are wonderful, closest to the Caribbean I have seen on the Pacific Ocean. The beach is lined with bars and restaurants with beach loungers and inside covered seating. The most popular are Mango Deck and the Office. We went to the Hungry Shark because it was the closest to where we were dropped off and really enjoyed it. You can look them up online and make reservations if you want to. 

In Puerto Vallarta there are nice beach resorts in Puerto Nuevo about thirty minutes from the port. You can book day passes through Resort For A Day and taxi to and from. The beaches and surf are very similar to Southern California so I think you will find them appropriate for swimming if is not an exceptionally rough day. We took our grandson to the Marriott because it is in town and close the port. The beach there is not as nice as Puerto Nuevo but he was out there anyway rolling around in the waves. I think people that are used to the Caribbean and Florida beaches are intimidated by the big surf in the Pacific Ocean. The pool was huge and gorgeous, we had a great day there. The nearby Westin is also an option.

Look into Stone Island in Mazatlan, I have not been there but heard good things and the beach looks lovely. You can find lots of info and pics on Trip Advisor. It’s a short walk from the ship where you can hire a water taxi to take you there. I’ll add a few pics of Cabo and the Marriott for reference. 

IMG_5356.jpeg

IMG_5362.jpeg

IMG_4971.jpeg

IMG_4964.jpeg

IMG_5351.jpeg

IMG_4988.jpeg

IMG_5366.jpeg

IMG_5355.jpeg

Thank you soooooo much! This is such wonderful information! I think the arches and that beach will be perfect for Cabo. 

I keep reading all these messages about how the water is too rough to swim in the Mexican Riviera, it was making me nervous! But if the water is similar to Southern California, yes, we will be just fine. My kids love playing in the surf here.

5 hours ago, CheckersMidwest said:

We sailed this itinerary on the Panorama. We love Mexico - Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, etc. But was very disappointed in this cruise. We went in July. First off, the sea days at the front and end are cold. It's the air blowing off the Pacific. VERY different than any Caribbean cruise out of Texas or Florida. People mostly stayed inside to do things. The weather during Mexico days was nice but we were also disappointed in the beaches. In Cabo, our excursion included beach time but the waves were too strong to even get out into the water. We won't sail from the West coast again for these reasons.

I have set my expectations low for Mexico. I do think my boys will enjoy the ship though! 

What was your weather like in Mexico in July? I'm reading 90s, which makes me nervous that we're going to fry. We live in a very temperate place in SoCal so we're not used to being roasted, ha ha. My husband and I are fine, I love the Caribbean, but I can see my kids melting. I think we will be good with the weather in the beginning and return since it's kind of what we're used to here.

38 minutes ago, PaddleAddict said:

Thank you so much for this! Would you recommend the West specifically or should I look for something else?

My wife actually liked the Westin so much she’s considering doing a land vacation there.  But I’d browse the photos and see which layout you like best.  Most of the hotels will be on the beach, just depends which layout you like most.  Have a great time !

• Like 1

It will be hot and humid ...but ya sea days wont be as hot, sometimes even chilly. For me it's the humidity that gets to me..but I'm a Northen Ca girl. I feel like kids adjust more easily than adults so yours will prob be fine. There are the pools and waterworks area on the ship and AC if it gets too hot. The good thing about Stone Island is the water doesn't get deep until you walk out pretty far. I felt like Cabo it gets deep quick.

• Like 2

Because of school calendars, we did this cruise last August.  Brutally hot, very humid.

My recommendations:  Take it VERY slow.  Bring those water bottles with battery-powered fans.  Parasols and big floppy hats.  

Beaches:  Cabo, Medano Beach.

Mazatlan:  Stone Island.  Seach this forum for instructions.  Not a water taxi but a regular run "ferry" a short walk from the ship.

Puerto Vallarta:  Playa Los Muertos.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Because of school calendars, we did this cruise last August.  Brutally hot, very humid.

My recommendations:  Take it VERY slow.  Bring those water bottles with battery-powered fans.  Parasols and big floppy hats.  

Beaches:  Cabo, Medano Beach.

Mazatlan:  Stone Island.  Seach this forum for instructions.  Not a water taxi but a regular run "ferry" a short walk from the ship.

Puerto Vallarta:  Playa Los Muertos.  

Thank you! Same, we have to stick with the school schedule so August it is! I know it's going to be crazy hot. The water bottle spray fans are such a great idea!

14 hours ago, Ranyw said:

My wife actually liked the Westin so much she’s considering doing a land vacation there.  But I’d browse the photos and see which layout you like best.  Most of the hotels will be on the beach, just depends which layout you like most.  Have a great time !

Any idea if the Westin pool is heated?