Concierge kids snacks

KellyR

I do find reading all these replies very telling. I think we have indeed evolved into a society where many people think everything should always be only about them and what meets their needs at the moment. :( The concept of there being a time and place for everything is no longer acceptable to the "me generation". I have always reacted badly to that term because of its negative nature. But I begin to see why it has stuck.

I do wonder though what we will hear out of these very same "me"ers in 10 years or so when they become empty nesters - and are looking forward to enjoying adult time. Will they still be crying for the acceptance of children into every venue? Or will they now be the loudest criers of adult rights? Stay tuned! ;) :D

Gunnar

Very remiss of RCCI not to send me an invite eh ;) och well it is quite a distance from up here down to Southampton...but hey for the Freedom I would have made that sacrifice ;) :D .....infact now I think on it.....wonder if there are any Scots invited down??

Liz

WYWH Cruiser

I just think that if they wanted a soda they should be able to get one and enjoy it with us.

Let me ask you,why does it have to be in the CL?????

Love the idea of 2 CLs.......with all the people using them lately,it would free up some space........the Viking Crown area would be super.........

Don't forget - there are 2 concierge lounges on FOS - one for Diamond / D+ and one for suite guests. Francois Roux is running the latter, and I know Frenchie tends to enforce the "no kids after 5pm" rule.

I have been on cruises where they have had to open a satellite concierge lounge (usually on the deck where the Viking Crown lounge is located) but in those instances both diamond and suite guests could access either one. If they actually establish two lounges on FOS and attempt to segregate the suite guests from the diamond members, the lounges had best be identical in all respects or there will be a lot of grumbling from one group or the other. If the second lounge is in the Viking Crown lounge and has outside views while the one on Deck 10 is an interior lounge like on Voyager class ships, those restricted to the interior lounge may not be pleased.

Gunnar

Very remiss of RCCI not to send me an invite eh ;) och well it is quite a distance from up here down to Southampton...but hey for the Freedom I would have made that sacrifice ;) :D .....infact now I think on it.....wonder if there are any Scots invited down??

Liz

WYWH Cruiser

Liz,

there is a thread think it has been started by a scotish girl about this.

Have a look here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=311049

There is also one CC member writing to RCCL and being succesful at least with a tour of the ship.

negc,

I asked the same earlier and GMoney answered that he don´t know, it´s just what he heard from Francois Roux.

It seems to me the over 18, after 5PM, rule is obviously set because there is alcohol being served. To limit any liability for a minor obtaining alcohol, they make sure there aren't any minors in the CL.

Now, well behaved, quiet, well dressed minors don't get to be excluded from the rule, because the rule is not based on your manners, your appearance, but on your AGE.

Yes, it's a convenient place to go as a family, and yes, your children are paying customers, but it's a rule because of the ship's alcohol consumption policy.

They had two CL's on the Brilliance last October, too. If the number pax is high for the CL, then they open up one of the lounges as a second.

The original question was about what type of food is available for kids in the Concierge Lounge - not about excluding kids from the concierge lounge.

If you only cruise you may not be aware, that regardless of alcohol being served, many hotels offer concierge lounges if you purchase that class. People who are cruising for the first time may not be aware of the after 5 rule. We travel together and after a long day of excursions would like to discuss our ventures.

When the nest changes however, we will always be kind to families and enjoy their presence because it will remind us of days past with our children. We have never experienced unruly children in concierge class. Parents in that class have a handle on their childrens behavior. Since our children are used to concierge I'm sure that when we travel together they will join us in the lounge as adults as well.

My husband and I socialize with friends when we are home. Vacation is family time (unless we are traveling with friends & family.) We chose and paid for a suite and concierge for that reason and I was surprised to find that rule in place. I was simply warning the initial post of the rule on the Navigator!

Is it true that C&A can go to the lounge or do you have to be in suite class? We paid for suite class and concierge service, and tipped accordingly and generously. The Concierge lounge should be reserved for suite class only - that would take care of the too many people in the lounge comment.

P.S. We were not looking for a free soda - that's not my point. We paid for the soda plan for the kids - johnny rockets - chops & portifino. We were simply surprised that concierge was not what we are accustomed to.

The CL is NOT just reserved for suite pax, it is also reserved for Platinum and Diamond Crown and Anchor members who have sailed with RCCL on 10 or more cruises. It's a loyalty perk, and is not just for those who have paid the most money for their cabins.

If it was a monetary qualification, I think I'd meet the requirements, anyway, having spent money with RCCL for 33 years!

I am well aware of what nice hotels include as service perks, but a cruise is a very isolated and self-contained environment, so the venues for alcohol consumption are slightly different. Since it's basically the ENTIRE environment, they have to be careful. However, this is not always successful.

And, yes, I read this entire thread before posting my response, so I am well aware of the original question. However, some other items for debate have been included since then. That is obviously what I was responding to in my previous post.

Is it true that C&A can go to the lounge or do you have to be in suite class? We paid for suite class and concierge service, and tipped accordingly and generously. The Concierge lounge should be reserved for suite class only - that would take care of the too many people in the lounge comment.

Yes it´s true. The Concierge lounge is for suite guests (No JS but GS and up) and for Crown & Anchor members Diamond Level and up.

Why should the Concierge lounge be reserved for suite class only?

It´s an as ridiculous statement as to say the concierge lounge should be for C&A members only.

RCCL choose to create the lounge for Suite guests and upper level C&A members. I´m sure the big guys at RCCL had something in mind to do it like it is done. I can´t see anything wrong with this.

When the nest changes however, we will always be kind to families and enjoy their presence because it will remind us of days past with our children. We have never experienced unruly children in concierge class. Parents in that class have a handle on their childrens behavior..... Since our children are used to concierge I'm sure that when we travel together they will join us in the lounge as adults as well.

Is it true that C&A can go to the lounge or do you have to be in suite class? We paid for suite class and concierge service, and tipped accordingly and generously. The Concierge lounge should be reserved for suite class only - that would take care of the too many people in the lounge comment......

I can only shake my head. First, it is easy to say you will wecome families when your own circumstances have change. However, I will be interested to see what you are actually posting on this board in 10 or so years.

As to the idea that parents in that class - whatever you mean by that - having a handle on their children's behavior. Please! That is one of the silliest comments I have read in a long time. Misbehaved children occur across all social and income levels. Some of the most spoiled brats I have had the bad luck to be exposed to have come from parents with good incomes and good educations. And it is the very parents who are so sure their kids are so very good that usually have the very worst behaved children.

And lastly, I got a chuckle out of the fact that it seemed so easy to say that children should be included in the CL. But then to turn around and state that non-suite guests should not be included in the CL. Sounds like you are picking and choosing who should stay and who should go in a very egocentric manner. And as soon as you get your own cruise lines, I say go for it. ;)

Excuse me but being diamond members, my DH and I have certainly "paid" for the CL service lol. Add in our stock ownership and the fact that we always have 1-2 cruises booked with RCCL, and I think we are as deserving at someone cruising once or twice in a suite.

If you only cruise you may not be aware, that regardless of alcohol being served, many hotels offer concierge lounges if you purchase that class. People who are cruising for the first time may not be aware of the after 5 rule. We travel together and after a long day of excursions would like to discuss our ventures.

P.S. We were not looking for a free soda - that's not my point. We paid for the soda plan for the kids - johnny rockets - chops & portifino. We were simply surprised that concierge was not what we are accustomed to.

A cruise ship is more than a floating hotel and the rules for one don't have to be the same as for the other. To that degree any comments about the rules for concierge lounges or services in a hotel are totally irrelevant.

It is your opinion that the concierge lounge should be reserved for suite class only. Fortunately, the people who operate RCI feel differently and have decided to reward their loyal guests who have achieved Diamond or higher class in the Crown and Anchor Society. It is their cruiseline and in this instance, they make the rules, like it or not.

Interesting, however, that you would restrict the concierge lounge to those who have booked suites, but chafe at a restriction against youngsters after 5pm. Would you also further restrict access to those who paid in full for a suite and not for those, who, for whatever reason, received a complimentary upgrade?

Perhaps you would be more comfortable on ships like the QE2 and the QM2 which still employ a class system on their transatlantic crossings. As for me, I appreciate that RCI has chosen to show their appreciation for my over 20 years of loyalty by allowing me access to the concierge lounge and by inviting me to a pre-inaugural sailing of Freedom of the Seas when it is in Boston.

While it is thoughtful of you to "warn" first timers who may not know of the rule on RCI ships (those that have concierge lounges), the rules will be spelled out in the letter they receive from the concierge when they arrive in their stateroom (or suite) and when they first enter the lounge. :)

well I do. You have not paid for the service ... that is why my kids should be there. We purchased the cruise and expected concierge service as noted in our reservation, and it is the class of service we get at hotels we frequent. We paid about $12,000 for our trip in total and did not expect very important members of our family to be excluded. We travel to some of the best hotels in the world, and just because we have been there more than once, we still expect to pay for concierge service. Having a party or maybe giving an upgrade to frequent guests is one thing, but to exclude guests, who are paying for the service is not right. If you don't want to be around kids that is your right. There are several bars on the ship where obviously only adults can go. The concierge lounge should be open to all suite guests period. I just hope that parrot head was a suite guest and not crown & anchor telling me that my kids were taking up his seat! As far as the comment "I have been cruising for 33 years so I meet the requirements" That's like saying you should get free groceries because you ate so much. You get what you pay for. You also get a suite if you plan in advance for the experience you desire.

Aaah we are slowly getting to the point. It´s all about me an dmy kids paid more than you so we are more entitled to use the lounge than you.

Unfortunately RCCL decided otherwise and made the lounge available not only to suite pax but also to loyal customers and on the other hand they made it adult only (on some ships at least at certain times). It looks like you have to live with it and it´s your choice now that you know to sail other cruise lines, stay on the club level in the hotels that allow your kids in lounges or accept that you would have to enjoy the CL on RCCL ships without your kids at certain times and what makes it worse share the lounge with the lowerclass floks not staying in suites but having gained at least 10 cruise credits.:eek:

BTW if you reread my posts you can see that it would be OK for me if RCCL had choosen to allow kids for cocktail hour, but they choose not too, so we are again at the point where rules come into play.

And though it has nothing to do with this topic, I am Diamond member and I sail in Suites and I occupy them most of the time by myself, so my per person rate is most likely much higher than that of your family, does that make me the better person - absolutely not !!! But the main difference is that I don´t think about me as the better person.

I have been on cruises where they have had to open a satellite concierge lounge (usually on the deck where the Viking Crown lounge is located) but in those instances both diamond and suite guests could access either one. If they actually establish two lounges on FOS and attempt to segregate the suite guests from the diamond members, the lounges had best be identical in all respects or there will be a lot of grumbling from one group or the other. If the second lounge is in the Viking Crown lounge and has outside views while the one on Deck 10 is an interior lounge like on Voyager class ships, those restricted to the interior lounge may not be pleased.

Hi - My experience with satellite concierge lounges is the same as yours, and I agree there could be some complaints if some concierge folks have a "sea view" and others don't. I'm just repeating what I heard and b/c I do not have firsthand knowledge, I can't speak to the absolute veracity of the information. I guess we will have to wait to see!

The original question was about what type of food is available for kids in the Concierge Lounge - not about excluding kids from the concierge lounge.

When the nest changes however, we will always be kind to families and enjoy their presence because it will remind us of days past with our children. We have never experienced unruly children in concierge class. Parents in that class have a handle on their childrens behavior. Since our children are used to concierge I'm sure that when we travel together they will join us in the lounge as adults as well.

My husband and I socialize with friends when we are home. Vacation is family time (unless we are traveling with friends & family.) We chose and paid for a suite and concierge for that reason and I was surprised to find that rule in place. I was simply warning the initial post of the rule on the Navigator!

I don't mean to be rude, but if you had done a sufficient amount of research PRIOR to your cruise, you would have been aware of the rule regarding age. You also would have known that you would have to mingle with those who were not booked in suites. Yes - even those in (gasp) interior cabins. :rolleyes:

It may well be that cruising is not for you, or shall I say RCI is not for you. Next time you may want to consider Radisson, or Crystal or maybe even Seaborn.

LNF

It seems to me the over 18, after 5PM, rule is obviously set because there is alcohol being served. To limit any liability for a minor obtaining alcohol, they make sure there aren't any minors in the CL.

Now, well behaved, quiet, well dressed minors don't get to be excluded from the rule, because the rule is not based on your manners, your appearance, but on your AGE.

Yes, it's a convenient place to go as a family, and yes, your children are paying customers, but it's a rule because of the ship's alcohol consumption policy.

Alcohol is served at the pool...alcohol is served in every lounge...alcohol is served in the dining room and children are not excluded. Rum punch is served free of charge on many excursions and they are not adult only....

The real reason is that adults want an adult only area. Period.

The third person in the stateroom is paying a lot of money - no one got a 99.00 dollar deal or third person free deal.

I still think there were some very rude comments posted.

I have no more time for this....I am going to go PACK MY JEANS

For the record, in the several instances we have sailed where an additional lounge has been opened, it has always been the pax choice as to which one they would use. Disclaimer: other's experience may have varied.:p

Our experience has been the same. I just think that if the Freedom ends up with two lounges, they are asking for grumbling if they restrict access according to whether the guests are Diamond members or have booked suites. Of course that also raises the question as to what to do with Diamond members who are in suites. LOL

When it comes right down to it, I think an argument could be made that Diamond members are more "entitled" to the CC than those in the suites! One sailing in a suite for $12000 vs. multiple sailings (at least 10) at, in my case, $3000 ea. means I've "paid" my way. BTW, I've also stayed in the suites! I really hope I never encounter someone as ignorant in the social graces as this "all about me" poster.

Perhaps you would be more comfortable on ships like the QE2 and the QM2 which still employ a class system on their transatlantic crossiing

:)

I think you're so right,Negc...

And I have to agree how absurd a comment it was(re:ONLY suite pax in the CL)............next cruise,I'm "slumming" in a PR cabin.........but you can bet I'll be in the CL,thanks to my Diamond Plus status.......

Maybe the posters who insist on bringing their well behaved kids in the CL can warn...(ummmmm......tell )us what ship they will be on.

MadForCruising posted:

Aaah we are slowly getting to the point. It´s all about me and my kids paid more than you so we are more entitled to use the lounge than you.
GREAT POINT!! Now I wonder just what this "Preferred Cruiser" does when it comes to the "RULE" about NOT SAVING LOUNGE CHAIRS AROUND THE POOL!! YIKES..........that could take at least a 1/2 year to figure out!! :eek: :D

This thread is sooooo much more fun than those WORD GAME threads!!

Archived