Feeding the Belly in Port

KarlK

I do consider myself a foodie with a passion for the odd and rare. The first thing I do when planning port stops is food.

When in Grand Cayman how can one not do turtle or find jerk chicken from a street vendor. Maybe a small cafe serving stewed cowsfoot!

When in Belize, one has to track down gibnut/paca! WONDERFUL, and some rice and beans with oxtail or Chimole/black soup, fry jacks or conch!

When in Coz or Mahahual (or perhaps my fave foodie Mexico town Ensenada) gotta do seafood, Urchin cerviche, shark tacos, whole fried fish or Octopus

When in Roatan, going crazy on baleadas, find a shot of gifiti to toss back, eat a plate of Lionfish

And if a port has a brewery, like Cayman, Roatan or Belize, it is a stop!!!

• Like 1

I reckon one of the best ways of starting to get to know a country is through its food. So, if possible, we'll often try and eat in ports that are in areas new to us. Of course, research is essential to find the "right" place, serving the "right" food.

I'm looking forward to our Bay of Biscay cruise next year. We know France and Spain well but have never visited the western coast of the former or the northern coast of the latter. I'm hoping to find regional differences to what we know. 

On 4/27/2024 at 3:59 PM, KarlK said:

I do consider myself a foodie with a passion for the odd and rare. The first thing I do when planning port stops is food.

When in Grand Cayman how can one not do turtle or find jerk chicken from a street vendor. Maybe a small cafe serving stewed cowsfoot!

When in Belize, one has to track down gibnut/paca! WONDERFUL, and some rice and beans with oxtail or Chimole/black soup, fry jacks or conch!

When in Coz or Mahahual (or perhaps my fave foodie Mexico town Ensenada) gotta do seafood, Urchin cerviche, shark tacos, whole fried fish or Octopus

When in Roatan, going crazy on baleadas, find a shot of gifiti to toss back, eat a plate of Lionfish

And if a port has a brewery, like Cayman, Roatan or Belize, it is a stop!!!

What an adventurous mind and palate! 😍I always have a "To-try/ To-eat" list set up before I travel. It's such a privilege to travel, indeed, why not get to know new places and people through the food they enjoy. I was in Belize last year, one of the Caribbean stops of the Celebrity Apex and we enjoyed a simple Belizian curry chicken stew with rice and beans and coleslaw which was cooked by one of our tour guides' mom! And boy, was it ever good! It was like coming home to a meal cooked by Mama, indeed. 😍

I'm working on my list now for our Mediterranean cruise coming up in less than 30 days!! I might just ask on this Foodie page what people recommend not to miss. 

IMG_20230110_124502865_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230110_124806022_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

I asked a valid question on this thread about drinking ultra sweet drinks with food and how it must mask or change the flavour of the foodstuffs being consumed, it seems have disappeared for the third time. 

And my reply to your post has also been deleted. Most odd.

Can it really be possible that discussing the drinks that go with food (or don't go) is somehow inappropriate on a "cruise foodies" forum. Most odd if so. 

I don't drink alcohol these days but do, very occasionally, drink alcohol free beer or  wine with a meal. Most nights, though, I drink sparkling water with dinner - whether at home or in a restaurant.

As for sweet drinks, my partner occasionally enjoys a sweet wine with dessert. She'd say that's complementing the food, not masking it's flavour as some drinks might well do. 

On 5/2/2024 at 3:01 PM, Lemorvan said:

I asked a valid question on this thread about drinking ultra sweet drinks with food and how it must mask or change the flavour of the foodstuffs being consumed, it seems have disappeared for the third time. 

A post of mine on a different food post disappeared maybe about a week or 2 ago.  may be a system glitch.

on topic, I always look forward to local flavors in port.  We particularly like San Juan.  I don't remember what we got but it was fantastic.

it's becoming more important to me now because the quality of food on the ships has declined so much.