AMA Waterways a couple of questions

NMTraveller

Yes. We've arrived late morning as we checked out of the hotel and took a short train ride and really had no where else to go, and where we boarded wasn't really near anything. I don't think we were even the first people there. We just hung out in the lounge as they were turning the ship over. Depending on where you are boarding, you may just want to drop your luggage off, check in, and then take off for a few hours. You can do that also.

I am not sure if the plugs are actually E/F or C, but both of these have worked just fine for me:

3139fuMfQqL._SY180_.jpg31qbuMjk8WL._SY180_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YDF8GCT/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EG0KC/

I also suggest using a multi port charging station like this, so that you minimize the number of outlets you need for charging:

41A1COpmNzL._SY180_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BX3V6ZZX/

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

One more question.  What type of currency would one bring along on a Danube River cruise?  We are starting in Giurgiu and ending in Vilshofen.  Will Euros work?  Do we need to be concerned about getting local currency at the ATMs for each country?  I realize that we can use credit cards at most places,  but every once in a while you run into some place that just takes cash or it is nice to have for tips.  I am probably overthinking this ...

Edited by NMTraveller

Most of those countries don't use the Euro. Any tour guide and bus driver used by Ama will accept Euros. The CD should let you know which countries may accept Euros and should tell you what the current conversion rate should be, but note that any change will be in the local currency. Some countries are more accepting of Euros than others.

We brought a couple hundred in Euros and kept changing for smaller currency at the front desk to use for tips. We did both weeks on the Danube, and this did become problematic on this stretch of the Danube as many people were doing that and they didn't have a great way of getting more once we were no longer in Euro countries. We did not get any local currency on our cruise and just used a CC that has no foreign currency transaction fees whenever a CC was accepted, and Euros other times. We don't do a lot of shopping. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Regarding check in time - with AMA you are allowed to come on board prior to check in time. I recently took the "Tulip Time" cruise and we were welcomed on board in the morning. Our room was not available until the afternoon but guests were allowed to wait in the common areas. They did offer light snacks, coffee and tea. Baggage was taken and stored until the rooms were available.

Our room (on the Mora) did have two USB plugs located on one side of the bed. There was one US outlet and 230V European outlets.

Edited by niknot
Added outlet information

• 2 weeks later...