Live from the Wonder of the Seas - May 5 to May 12th 2024

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Dolby1000 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Although I have entered reviews before here on Cruise Critic, this is the first time I’m going to try a live report, with pictures if I can figure out things between my iPhone and this new iPad. It will be easier taking pictures on the phone and sending them to the iPad, but I’m not sure if we will be able to have 2 devices on the internet. We are in suite, so having one is included, not sure if being in a suite means each one of us (there are 2) can hook up a device.

About us:

Dinks, 65 (DW) and 62 (me), married 38 years. Our anniversary was earlier in April but since it was around Easter, we delayed the cruise for a month as the prices were much less in May.

This trip is in celebration of my late Aunt Betty, we will be remembering her all week. She died last year at the age of 91 and the world is a little less bright, and yes, less cranky, than it was. We loved her a lot.

We live in Lakeland, Florida, so sailing out of Port Canaveral is very convenient for us, and we love the Oasis class ships.

This is our 12th RCCL cruise, having sailed before on the Allure (3 times), Serenade (2 times), Mariner, Adventure, Brilliance, Rhapsody, and the Grandeur during her very first year, let me tell you, since that wonderful trip on the Grandeur back in 1997, things sure have changed! And not all for the better either. No subsequent cruise on any line (including Disney, HAL and NCL) has the food approached what we had back in 1997!

We are staying at the Hampton Inn, Cocoa Beach for 2 nights before the cruise. We’ve stayed here many times before. Nothing fancy but we can park once and the beach and restaurants and other entertainments are within walking distance.

We hope on Saturday to hang out at the beach by the port exit and picture the four ships leaving port that day.

We splurged for a Grand Suite.

Since we were not impressed with the Main Dining experience on our last Allure cruise, we plan on taking most dinners in the Coastal Kitchen. We do have a lunch planned on the first sea day at Giovanni’s. Otherwise, we might check out Playmakers, Hooked and The Mason Jar. One day, we’ll have the beef sandwich at the Park Cafe.

I have reserved a Chill Island Cabana on Cocacay as they are much closer than the ones on the Southern Beach. We have found the shoreline and the water too rocky on that end of the island. This will be our first time hanging out at Chill Beach. The Wonder is the only ship at Cococay so things should be pretty roomy.

Nothing planned on Cozumel, for Roatan we’re taking a standard island tour, and we’re thinking of doing the Beach Break on Costa Maya. The pyramids are just too far of a busy ride for us.

I hope to post pictures along the way, here are a few in advance. Our anniversary dinner 4 weeks ago, members of the cast of Mama Mia on the Allure, they were working our Muster Station and being return cruises, we were the first to check in. The tall one on our right was one of the male leads. And the Bay Bridge from our Serenade cruise from 2023.

IMG_8549.jpeg

IMG_7849.jpeg

IMG_7084.jpeg

Edited by Dolby1000
  • Like 9

Enjoy my favorite ship! The suite neighborhood is amazing (although so is the rest of the ship to me). There's a link to my semi-live blog from last June in my signature when generous family treated us to a GS if you're interested. We're not normally suite dwellers.

9 minutes ago, Dolby1000 said:

It will be easier taking pictures on the phone and sending them to the iPad, but I’m not sure if we will be able to have 2 devices on the internet. We are in suite, so having one is included, not sure if being in a suite means each one of us (there are 2) can hook up a device.

You each get free internet for being in Sky Class... so yes, two devices can be logged in at one time.

• Like 1

There is a free trolley at coco cay. I saw you took chill island instead of south beach because of distance. Next time I'm taking the trolley and not walking. Agree south beach a long walk in the heat.

• Like 1

Just off Wonder.  My husband and I ate dinner in Coastal Kitchen every night.  Every item my husband and I had was delicious except for two items.  Favorites were filet mignon,  lamb chops, lamb shank, lobster, and all the desserts.    First item not to my liking was lunch boarding day, the scallops as appetizer.  The butter on top luke warm and scallops undercooked.  Second was appetizer for dinner day 2 I think, lobster mac and cheese and it was a chef recommendation.  It had no lobster, watered down cheese sauce and macaroni was harder than al dente.  My first cruise was in 1994 on Monarch so I remember the first class dining.  Offerings have been pared down but presentation and service was comparable to what I remember from the 90's.  I loved the Wonder, second time on her.

Following...Thank you so much and have a great cruise!

We are trying to get prepared for Feb 2024 when DH will be taking his first cruise since COVID.  We (unfortunately) do not get to cruise as often as we would like...navigating geography (we live in the middle of Illinois), jobs, a farm, and elderly parents.  Needless to say everything takes time and planning.  

So to celebrate my DH's return to cruising we have booked our first Wonder sailing...splurging for a 1-Bedroom aquatheater suite.  Understandably, it has it's downsides...it is a distance from the suite lounge, Coastal Kitchen, and the elevators.  But the privacy, space, the view, and that balcony..Those (plus the suite perks) were the enticements for us.

Looking forward to hearing/reading more about your observations/experiences.

Posted (edited)

Looking forward to your posts! We'll be sailing this same itinerary in June. 😄

Ooh just realized I can now officially say sailing "next month"!

Edited by bambam2972
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, bambam2972 said:

Isn't that exciting?  I LOVE that feeling.  We now 16 days from our first Alaska sailing and simply can't wait.  🙂

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bambam2972 said:

Looking forward to your posts! We'll be sailing this same itinerary in June. 😄

Yes we can! See ya onboard.

• Like 1

Following, and thank you for doing this live review.

We have been on Wonder OTS, a few years back

for a Super Bowl cruise and it was a blast.

Congratulations on your anniversary.

Looking forward to your review.

Thank you!!

Posted (edited)

We have arrived at the Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach. Drive wasn’t too bad, we took a few back roads to avoid I4. Very nice day. 

Pictures of the loaded car, thinking we could bring a whole lot more. NOT says the DW.

Picture of the room and the scenery outside our door and balcony. That is the Allure in the distance.

IMG_8671.jpeg

IMG_8670.jpeg

IMG_8669.jpeg

IMG_8665.jpeg

IMG_8667.jpeg

IMG_8664.jpeg

IMG_8662.jpeg

Edited by Dolby1000
  • Like 3

You drive from Lakeland the day before? We never do, we live here too! We do go to Ft Lauderdale the night before since we had a flat tire years ago. Luckily we made it to the port just in time, we had never been there so late before!

Looking forward to following your review. Are those 4 suitcases for 2 people? I am thinking I can take more if so! We usually take 3.

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone! Yes, we are only taking 3 suitcases on the ship, the 4th one if just for our 2 nights in Cocoa Beach. I love vacation mode, so now we come out 2 nights early to have some fun. What did we do today?

Morning pictures from the Brevard County Zoo.

IMG_8680.jpeg

IMG_8684.jpeg

IMG_8685.jpeg

IMG_8687.jpeg

IMG_8688.jpeg

IMG_8694.jpeg

IMG_8696.jpeg

IMG_8700.jpeg

IMG_8710.jpeg

IMG_8708.jpeg

IMG_8704.jpeg

IMG_8703.jpeg

Edited by Dolby1000
  • Like 8

Posted (edited)

Then, this afternoon we went to Port Canaveral Jetty Park to watch a few ships leave the port area. We watched the Carnival Vista, The Adventure of the Seas and the Disney Fantasy. Not pictured, Carnival Mardi Gras.

While we were watching, I received an email from Royal saying they look forward to seeing us in Orlando tomorrow. Really, how does that work? There is no waterway from Port Canaveral to Orlando, I know if we went to Orlando tomorrow, the Wonder would leave without us. That would be a bad thing. You will see us in Port Canaveral tomorrow.

IMG_8712.jpeg

IMG_8715.jpeg

IMG_8717.jpeg

IMG_8720.jpeg

IMG_8721.jpeg

IMG_8723.jpeg

IMG_8725.jpeg

IMG_8726.jpeg

IMG_8730.jpeg

IMG_8731.jpeg

IMG_8733.jpeg

Edited by Dolby1000
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Dolby1000 said:

Morning pictures from the Brevard County Zoo.

Moved here 24 years ago and still haven't been there. 🙈

Following along.  Thank you for the pictures of the Adventure of the Seas.  My sister and I will be sailing on her on May 24th.   I enjoy reading the live reports of the different ships, it gives me an idea of what is available and what people like and dislike about each.

We are on board the Wonder of the Seas and so far, we are very impressed.

Our check in time was 10:30 (although in. A suite, we could check-in any time we wanted). We arrived at the port at 10:2o, dropped off the luggage and were parked by 10:30 and by 10:45 we were on board the ship. Very smooth and easy process.

Took a bit of a tour of the upper deck and checked out the Coastal Kitchen/Suite lounge. We had decided to eat at the Hibachi part of Izumi and the staff at the Coastal Kitchen were able to handle that reservation for Friday and all the other nights at the Coastal Kitchen. We do not plan to step foot in the main dining room. While DW took a break, I went out and tried to take pictures of a rapidly filling up ship. 

Tonight dinner at Coastal, Intense at Aqua Theater, maybe the headliner at 9:45 and balloon drop at 12:00. Pictures of the day posted below.

IMG_8785.jpeg

IMG_8784.jpeg

IMG_8783.jpeg

IMG_8779.jpeg

IMG_8778.jpeg

IMG_8777.jpeg

IMG_8776.jpeg

IMG_8775.jpeg

IMG_8774.jpeg

IMG_8773.jpeg

IMG_8772.jpeg

IMG_8770.jpeg