App Problem

chipymunk

So my wife and I are taking my sons on an Alaska cruise with Princess. My sons are 20 and 17 years old. We got two staterooms next to each other and have a few questions.

My agent booked us two staterooms next to each other. My wife and one son in one room and me and my other in the next stateroom, joined by a balcony. We plan on letting the boys sleep together and my wife and I sleep together. My question is, when we get on board, how will that work? Will one of my sons have to go through our stateroom to get to the other? We have balcony staterooms so conceivably that could work. But would love for there be a better option. Would we just switch medallions when we get on board? Will that get us in trouble?

The Princess Cruise app is extremely glitchy. Rarely have I been able to complete any steps without it crashing on my iphone. Is there a better alternative? I've read that Princess Cruise phone people are not very helpful either. I've read this is a chronic problem that has been around for years, but we've never cruised with Princess before, so I'm kinda wondering if we made a mistake. 

Any help would be appreciated!!

chip

Posted (edited)

One son (20) is old enough to "sponsor" the other son (17).  Change passengers/cabins before you get on the ship.  The advantage of that is if you decide to do the Plus Beverage package, you will only need to purchase 2 instead of for all 4.  

Better alternative...there is a web based "app" for most things.  Sign in to your personalizer and click on web version of app.

I am surprised your TA did not know you could arrange cabins this way.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2

Guest services will be able to program your Medallions to unlock/open the other cabin, so easy peasy. Do not understand previous comment as the way you have currently booked sharing parent with son would be the way to have the ‘adults’ buy plus and not have passenger2 as they are under 21, the drinking age for Princess.

Your current booking would also be a way for both cabins to get shareholders if the account was in both names of the parents, if you happen to be shareholders of CCL stock.

Do you have the latest version/update of the APP? Try deleting then re installing the latest version. Also if you have older phone, it could be an issue, but the APP works fine on my Android phone and iPad that is a few years old, not the latest version.

Welcome to cruise critic. Remember if any are veterans be sure to check out the military benefits link at the bottom of their website to get your on board credit for that also.

2 hours ago, chipymunk said:

So my wife and I are taking my sons on an Alaska cruise with Princess. My sons are 20 and 17 years old. We got two staterooms next to each other and have a few questions.

My agent booked us two staterooms next to each other. My wife and one son in one room and me and my other in the next stateroom, joined by a balcony. We plan on letting the boys sleep together and my wife and I sleep together. My question is, when we get on board, how will that work? Will one of my sons have to go through our stateroom to get to the other? We have balcony staterooms so conceivably that could work. But would love for there be a better option. Would we just switch medallions when we get on board? Will that get us in trouble?

The Princess Cruise app is extremely glitchy. Rarely have I been able to complete any steps without it crashing on my iphone. Is there a better alternative? I've read that Princess Cruise phone people are not very helpful either. I've read this is a chronic problem that has been around for years, but we've never cruised with Princess before, so I'm kinda wondering if we made a mistake. 

chip

We didn't use the medallion app until onboard. 

Went on princess app to do what is needed before our cruise. 

We downloaded the medallion app  on our phones to have it ready to go and to see how many days left until our cruise. Once onboard and we check in we are ready to go. 

We had no problems with the medallion not even once when we sailed last november.

1 hour ago, wallyj said:

Do not understand previous comment as the way you have currently booked sharing parent with son would be the way to have the ‘adults’ buy plus and not have passenger2 as they are under 21, the drinking age for Princess.

@wallyj  Sorry but this is incorrect.  Passengers 1&2 both have to buy the package if one wants it, regardless of age. The underage passenger would get the zero alcohol package but the price would be same to include crew appreciation and wifi.  That’s why it was suggested to have both adults in one room.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chipymunk said:

chip

I do everything in the "web version" of the app that is in cruise personalizer on the Princess website and I haven't had any of the glitches encountered with the Princess app. As others have said, you can get all of your medallions programmed to access both cabins once you get on board. I hope this helps!

1 hour ago, t&atravel said:

@wallyj  Sorry but this is incorrect.  Passengers 1&2 both have to buy the package if one wants it, regardless of age. The underage passenger would get the zero alcohol package but the price would be same to include crew appreciation and wifi.  That’s why it was suggested to have both adults in one room.  

@t&atravel, thank you for the correction, my mind got a little mixed up and was think about Royal Caribbean which would allow minor to purchase Refreshment package. Princess bundles currently seem to be better priced than competitors that offer a ‘bundle’.

I am surprised your TA didn't book your sons in their own cabin, they are more than old enough (minimum age to be in own cabin is 16). I've done it many times.