Reserving Special Dining in Advance

ALANG

Trying to make sense of the specialty dining reservation policy.  I have a cruise booked on the Sun Princess later this year.  Went on the app to book specialty dining as I have purchased the Premier Package which allows for two specialty restaurant experiences.  The app says I can't book any type of dining because I currently do not have the appropriate status level and the cruise is not paid in full.  Final payment date is about three months out.  So I called Princess and asked the question, "Since I have the Premier Package which I paid for what happens if the specialty restaurants are booked and I am unable to secure reservations what is then then policy"  The representative basically said I was basically out of luck and I could try to get some OBC.  Well I did not pay for the package with OBC.  I said thank you, hung up, and shook my head.  I began to think that this happens a lot because Princess probably sells more "specialty reservations markers" than they have open spots.  I am not new to cruising with 45+ under my belt but wanted to try Princess again.  Just can't get my head around the representatives answer or not being able to book as soon as I put down the deposit.  As of now this is the first line that would not allow dining without paying in full.  Thank you all in advance for any help!

FWIW - Sun Princess is a one off when it comes to dining and app reservations.

Literally just opened this afternoon for June 2024 and onwards.  Status didn't make any difference, they simply hadn't loaded times.

And phone reps are woefully incorrect on a lot of things Sun related as it's been such a one off process.  

Princess does not release all dining reservations in advance of sailing. They hold some for onboard reservations, as they're well aware that not everyone makes plans months or years in advance for dinner time..

You'll be able to make reservations once you're paid in full. Two options - wait til final payment and make it then, and then do reservations. Or pay in ful in advance and then make reservations - this being the option if you're really that concerned about not getting a reservation.  

Keep in mind that there's a known glitch for some with Premier Cruise Package and specialty dining - sometimes the app doesn't correctly register that you have dining credits - and you end up having to pay in advance. Those payments are credited back as refundable OBC aboard.

Yes, it's dumb and ridiculous that they haven't fixed it. There you go . Personally, works fine for me, lots of other have experienced this glitch. YMMV 

Good luck, happy sails .

Just had that happen to me.  Made final payment for a cruise with the Premier Package that includes Speciality Dining.  Went to the app and made our two reservations.  My phone chimed alerting me of a charge to my credit card.  Sure enough Princess hit me for $148 for Speciality Dining,  Will Princess automatically credit me with OBC or do I need call customer service?

Why does everyone freak out about specialty dining. We have been on 60 Princess cruises and have never booked in advance. There are always tables that can be had while on board. It also helps if you eat after 7:00

54 minutes ago, memoak said:

Why does everyone freak out about specialty dining. We have been on 60 Princess cruises and have never booked in advance. There are always tables that can be had while on board. It also helps if you eat after 7:00

Totally agree. We always wait until we board.

Even on nights that are supposedly booked up, we get a table on the night.

With the Med' cruises being so port intensive I guess passengers cancel because they are knackered by the evening and just do to the buffet.

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Totally agree. We always wait until we board.

Even on nights that are supposedly booked up, we get a table on the night.

With the Med' cruises being so port intensive I guess passengers cancel because they are knackered by the evening and just do to the buffet.

You could not pay me to eat in those buffets. People putting hands all over food and not washing their hands