Sharing SM credits

We have about 150.00 pperson in SM shore excursion credits remaining. My DW is interested in an excursion I have no desire to go on. Has anyone used their SM credits to pay for an excursion for someone else on the same cruise. Our friends are on the cruise and one of them is actually interested in the excursion but they don't have any credits left.

We'd like to "treat" her to a free cruise using my remaining shore excursion credits from SM.

I don't see a way to do it on line since the credits are linked to the individual.  I do recall seeing a post about the shore excursions not checking "tickets" but the friend definitely won't pass for a 60+ year old man !

I'm guessing O won't allow it (more money in their pockets from unused credits)  I will ask once we are on board or perhaps give our travel agent or O a call

Comments ?

Just buy it under your husband's name and give her your voucher. They don't check names when you go to the lounge to check in for an excursion. They take the voucher and give you a boarding coupon for the operator. If you go on the excursion with her, you check in.

By the way, we signed up for 3 excursions and found that we either buy another excursion or lose the $13 left on our $400 pp excursion credit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

By the way, we signed up for 3 excursions and found that we either buy another excursion or lose the $13 left on our $400 pp excursion credit.

Have you look how many excursion you need to get a 25% across the board discount.  In some cases, with the 25% discount, it's cheaper than just adding just one.

• Like 3

We looked at all the excursions and very few really appealed to us and most of the ports are easily self toured (dock very close to the city center, walkable and lots to see as we are first timers).

49 minutes ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

Just buy it under your husband's name and give her your voucher. They don't check names when you go to the lounge to check in for an excursion. They take the voucher and give you a boarding coupon for the operator. If you go on the excursion with her, you check in.

This. No one is checking. Just hand the Destination Services the ticket, they give you a number. We’ve done it that way a couple of times. 

• Like 1

That was exactly our experience as well last fall on Riviera.  My husband never went up to the desk to exchange voucher for tickets, I did for both of us every time.  They take the vouchers and give you a ticket w a number.

Even for folks in the same cabin SM excursion credits are technically not shareable. Encountered a rare occasion where DW and I wanted to go on separate tours in a port. Hers was more expensive than mine and used up rest of her SM credit.  I could not use the few extra bucks in my SM excursion money to cover balance of her tour beyond what was left in her SM excursion balance. Had to pay extra 20 bucks or so to cover excess cost of her tour while my SM excursion balance showed about 25 bucks remaining.🤔

16 minutes ago, edgee said:

Even for folks in the same cabin SM excursion credits are technically not shareable. Encountered a rare occasion where DW and I wanted to go on separate tours in a port. Hers was more expensive than mine and used up rest of her SM credit.  I could not use the few extra bucks in my SM excursion money to cover balance of her tour beyond what was left in her SM excursion balance. Had to pay extra 20 bucks or so to cover excess cost of her tour while my SM excursion balance showed about 25 bucks remaining.🤔

That’s a bit miserable. When we’ve had shipboard credit it’s always assigned to the ‘cabin’ even though it’s listed per person on the invoice. Hopefully Oceania will start doing the same with excursion credits in the near future.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Have you look how many excursion you need to get a 25% across the board discount.  In some cases, with the 25% discount, it's cheaper than just adding just one.

I have a 1200.00 sm excursion credit. I have booked some excursions but would need to book 7 more to be entitled to the 25 percent discount. I am doing all the excursions I want to do so obviously would need to spend a lot more money to qualify for25 percent discount. Would actually lose money doing this. Makes no sense

44 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

I have a 1200.00 sm excursion credit. I have booked some excursions but would need to book 7 more to be entitled to the 25 percent discount. I am doing all the excursions I want to do so obviously would need to spend a lot more money to qualify for25 percent discount. Would actually lose money doing this. Makes no sense

Yes, it's not always worth it.  I just do the math like you did to decide.