Drinks package/policy changes?

2 minutes ago, Bartender1 said:

Could it be that P&O are attempting to maximise their profits which is their right I suppose. Bar prices are creeping up, spirits have been withdrawn from being able to bring on board, your supposed to hand over any alcohol bought in port. I wouldn't be surprised if next it'll be alcohol must be carried in your hand luggage on embarkation to stop doubling up in suitcase's then they could withdraw being able to buy spirits to consume in your cabin. All this then leaves guests with no choice but to buy from the bar or purchase a drinks package.

Now they're attracting a younger demographic and bookings are doing well they probably think they can push all this through without much fuss.

Sorry it's all a bit negative but .......

I agree, it's purely about maximising profits.

14 minutes ago, S1971 said:

I agree, it's purely about maximising profits.

I would also add that it is moving towards the American model where no alcohol is allowed to be taken onboard.

One interesting point is whether the "new" cruise passenger demographic consume as much, more or less alcohol as the older demographic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

I would also add that it is moving towards the American model where no alcohol is allowed to be taken onboard.

One interesting point is whether the "new" cruise passenger demographic consume as much, more or less alcohol as the older demographic.

Yes I would agree, basically it ensures people pay the inflated bar prices or purchase a package.

For me the younger demographic tend to drink a lot more over a shorter period and will try anything such as cocktails and the like, elders (65+) tend to stick to what they like and limit their alcohol intake across the day.

But that's only my opinion.

Thing is, we cruise with P&O as they offer excellent value when you include everything (i.e. tips, total bar bill etc). If they decide to maximise their profits (as is every company's duty to its shareholders) and this means that they are no longer considerably more attractive, total price wise, then I will go to another cruise line - there are an awful lot to choose from. If enough people follow me then P&O will have to look at a different model for maximising profit.

The current changes, to me, are not too unreasonable and won't yet make me change my preference. If they continue down this line then, obviously, the calculation changes.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, S1971 said:

Yes I would agree, basically it ensures people pay the inflated bar prices or purchase a package.

For me the younger demographic tend to drink a lot more over a shorter period and will try anything such as cocktails and the like, elders (65+) tend to stick to what they like and limit their alcohol intake across the day.

I think that the bar prices on P&O are pretty reasonable. We often have to pay similar, if not higher, prices for drinks in decent pubs/hotels (obviously not Wetherspoons). Other cruise lines charge considerably more for drinks than P&O (currently!) do

Edited by Burgmeister
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, S1971 said:

younger demographic tend to drink a lot more over a shorter period and will try anything such as cocktails and the like

Which would tend to suggest that they are already buying their drinks from the bars onboard - and possibly with the drinks package

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

We often have to pay similar, if not higher, prices for drinks in decent pubs/hotels

That really depends on your geographical location.

I don't have an up to date bar tariff for P&O, but I'm paying £3.10 a pint for my preferred tipple and £2.90 for some other ales, but don't know how that compares to P&O?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, S1971 said:

I don't have an up to date bar tariff for P&O, but I'm paying £3.10 a pint for my preferred tipple and £2.90 for some other ales, but don't know how that compares to P&O?

That is considerably cheaper than P&O. I pay similar, if slightly less, in Wetherspoons but anywhere else we are looking at £5+ for a pint - which is very similar to P&O. On our last cruise on Britannia I actually paid more for a pint in the pub next to the hotel in Southampton, the night prior to embarkation, than I did in the Crow's Nest onboard. Outside of a Wetherspoons I struggle to find pub prices for less than about a fiver a pint (although I avoid working mens clubs and "local" style pubs - mainly go to, what I would consider to be, "nice" pubs). Of course, I'm sure that people in some areas of the UK can find "nice" pubs selling beer for much less - but I don't seem to be able to, neither around where I live or where I travel within the UK. As a comparison, the last time we were on a Royal Caribbean ship (about 2014), cocktails were from $13.95 each - they are, I believe, currently from £7.50 on P&O (again, pretty comparible to the pub prices for the pubs I tend to end up in)

Edited by Burgmeister
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, S1971 said:

Same here, I pay somewhere between £3 and £4 a pint for my tipple.

Also please ignore my cc name, I've never owned or worked in a bar. 🙂

Edited by Bartender1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bartender1 said:

Same here, I pay somewhere between £3 and £4 a pint for my tipple.

I guess I'm lucky in that I am acclimatised to P&Os prices so don't think twice about going to the bar! 😅

Posted (edited)

The average pint of lager where I live is £6.50 and one local newly renovated pub is charging £7.00.  Even Weatherspoons is just under £6 by a few pence.  

Our local social club is £5.75 a pint.  It's no wonder with the prices being discussed here the government spokesman when mentions the average price of a pint in terms I think he's in cloud cuckoo land!

Edited by Megabear2

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The average pint of lager where I live is £6.50 and one local newly renovated pub is charging £7.00.  Even Weatherspoons is just under £6 by a few pence.  

Our local social club is £5.75 a pint.  It's no wonder with the prices being discussed here the government spokesman when mentions the average price of a pint in terms I think he's in cloud cuckoo land!

😮 I'd be skint in a week 🤣

• Haha 2

I am confused, I  thought we were talking  about a smart cruise ship, equivalent to a decent hotel.  So why is everyone comparing prices to local spoons, not a decent hotel or upmarket wine bar. 

If you want spoons prices go to spoons. 

Compared to decent hotels P&O is reasonably priced

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

I am confused, I  thought we were talking  about a smart cruise ship, equivalent to a decent hotel.  So why is everyone comparing prices to local spoons, not a decent hotel or upmarket wine bar. 

I never darken the doorway of Wetherspoons and the prices I gave are for decent pubs and restaurants.  I am however aware of the Wetherspoons pricing because our local branch made the national news when it was named as one of the most expensive ones in the country.  Coming in top was one in Leicester Square, London where a pint of Corona costs £6.98.  Wetherspoons are not all cheap as chips and a lot of P&O customers do actually use them and naturally compare the prices with their normal haunts.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I never darken the doorway of Wetherspoons and the prices I gave are for decent pubs and restaurants.  I am however aware of the Wetherspoons pricing because our local branch made the national news when it was named as one of the most expensive ones in the country.  Coming in top was one in Leicester Square, London where a pint of Corona costs £6.98.  Wetherspoons are not all cheap as chips and a lot of P&O customers do actually use them and naturally compare the prices with their normal haunts.

I haven’t been over to the “dark side” since I got food poisoning in one of their not so decent pubs, this was back in 2010. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I use them, that's not the point not the relevant comparison. 

Wadnt aimed at you, You weren't the one talking of £3.50 a pint 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry to disprove you but I've just logged into the Salisbury Wetherspoons app (assuming your location is correct) (Kings Head)

Bud Light £2.71

Carlsberg is £2.77

Carling £3.65

San Miguel £4.11

Moretti £4.45 660ml bottle- (£5.30 a pint on Arvia)

Craft beer : Shipyard (decent pint) is £2.99

Guinness  £3.80

Edited by doog442

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Sorry to disprove you but I've just logged into into the Salisbury Wetherspoons app (assuming your location is correct) (Kings Head)

Bud Light £2.71

Carlsberg is £2.77

Carling £3.65

San Miguel £4.11

Craft beer : Shipyard (decent pint) is £2.99

Guinness  £3.80

Obviously you're don't go there but if anyones there let me your table numberand I'll buy you a pint 😉

You'll note I mentioned Corona not any of the others. As I said I will not go in a Wetherspoons unless it is absolutely necessary.  The only one I frequented was in Holborn when I worked there, last visited 14 years ago. Personally I find them characterless.  

This article (repeated in several other newspapers when they put their prices up)is what caused the stir in the local paper.

Our local Fullers pub just got painted and their new menu increased prices, the attsched is an old list I'd downloaded late last year. They're one of the cheaper pubs in the area though.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uks-most-expensive-wetherspoons-pint-32635995

Ox-Row-Inn-Drinks-List-Sept-2023.pdf

Edited by Megabear2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

You'll note I mentioned Corona not any of the others. As I said I will not go in a Wetherspoons unless it is absolutely necessary.  The only one I frequented was in Holborn when I worked there, last visited 14 years ago. Personally I find them characterless.  

This article (repeated in several other newspapers when they put tgeir pticed up)is what caused the stir in the local paper.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uks-most-expensive-wetherspoons-pint-32635995

Corona is £4.11 out of interest.

My wife won't go in either, so I fully understand that. Character wise they've rescued some marvelous buildings however a spoons is still a spoons I guess. I do a lot of football matches throughout the country where often the away support are dumped in various spoons as the designated pub. 

Back to the thread subject, obviously we know P&O drinks are good value, however I'm looking at future cruises that are now competing price wise with some seriously good all inclusive resorts on dream beach type settings when you add on the drinks package. I know they're making hay but if they set out to 'squeeze' folk with small incremental changes like this they may find their new demographic bugger off elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2024 at 5:05 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Sorry, I was the first to raise Wetherspoons but only to say that they are the only drinking establishment around our way that offers prices any cheaper than P&O. I was trying to make the point that the prices of drinks in pubs that I go to are similar (or more expensive) than P&O - with the exception of spoons who are known for being cheap. I wasn't trying to compare quality or surroundings.

We stayed at the Intercontinental Park Lane in march and it was £20 for a glass of fizz (not champagne) and £18 for a glass of house white. Obviously the other end of the scale to spoons!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 5:05 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Given recent reviews, comments and personal onboard experiences the comparison between Wetherspoons and P&O isn't that far off is it?

P&O certainly can't be compared to an upmarket wine bar in my opinion!!

I don't get is how anyone can get a comparative price, as I said earlier I pay £2.90 a pint (not a spoons) but a nice decent respectable pub, so for me P&O's bar tariffs are not cheap.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 11:13 AM, S1971 said:

My demographic don't drink much. They spill a lot. The younger demographic drink their milk from a bottle. Demographically speaking, I don't think age is that important.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The younger demographic drink their milk from a bottle.

The ones I know drink cider from a bottle and with no teat.

After a couple of they spill it as well, given that perhaps you're right age isn't important 😄

• Like 1

On 6/4/2024 at 7:10 PM, Megabear2 said:

This article (repeated in several other newspapers when they put their prices up)is what caused the stir in the local paper.

Our local Fullers pub just got painted and their new menu increased prices, the attsched is an old list I'd downloaded late last year. They're one of the cheaper pubs in the area though.

Ox-Row-Inn-Drinks-List-Sept-2023.pdf 1 MB · 2 downloads

I haven't drunk corona since the virus. Not taking the chance, not me.🤣

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

My demographic don't drink much. They spill a lot. The younger demographic drink their milk from a bottle. Demographically speaking, I don't think age is that important.

You definitely have a point.

My daughter (21) does drink - not excessively but definitely likes a drink. She does, however, have a number of friends that are teetotal - way more than I have!

I posted another thread about current drinks prices (P&O don't seem to have updated their sample menu on their website) and the increases appear to be significant - given the single reply that I've had so far. A Martini has increased by £1.20 (17%) so I might have to take back all I've previously said about being similar to pub prices around where I live!

• Like 2