Live From Alaska Aboard Ms Nieuw Amsterdam - May 5-19, 2024

20 hours ago, Crew News said:

My table map source failed to live up to their promise so I will try another source tomorrow.  Persistence usually succeeds.

Table maps are now in my hands.  Will post links this evening;

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Evening from Juneau May 13

So glad we docked and prime location.  Had a wonderful morning just walking the town - would have liked sunshine but I was fine with the rain.  Plus we were the only ship in town mist of the morning.  Had very early lunch at Alaskan Brewery - great beer and brisket sandwich- the BBQ sauce excellent and had front run seat to watch Koningsdam dock

IMG_5368.thumb.jpeg.a77d1edf0fdd5a914275f18ffe20e7fe.jpeg

IMG_5427.thumb.jpeg.8b1e48a6be1f4ddfa2c8baea55084529.jpegIMG_5428.thumb.jpeg.9f3ceaa267e550d47f6aef688bb78734.jpegIMG_5432.thumb.jpeg.accfbf3196926c69f958572ca2885d4b.jpeg

Here came Koningsdam

IMG_5434.thumb.jpeg.7ee42165080e4acc508d41a35ea1a9f3.jpeg

Wonderful quilt shop and coffee made my day special.  

IMG_5410.thumb.jpeg.63d326ace4c8c82a9af5b0dfde637856.jpeg

IMG_5431.jpeg

• Like 6

Day 08 At Sea

For the first time on this cruise, the sun appeared but while the ship was at sea.  All are looking forward to an excursion with the sun warming us.  The sea was much calmer for a change and passengers emerged from their rooms to experience the Nieuw Amsterdam.  At least they all found their way to the Lido Market Buffet for breakfast.  As a solo, it remained difficult to find a table in the Lido Market and so my breakfast meals continued to be consumed beside the indoor pool. 

I attended a Mariner recognition ceremony for silver and platinum awardees.  No peanuts were served.

My daily cookie evaluation took place after waiting in the long line at the Sweet Spot.  As I took special care to give a fair evaluation for each of the four types (oatmeal raisin, macadam nut, peanut, and chocolate chip), I was thrilled to give them each a B+ grade.  All had a decent chew, reasonable breaking effort, and were not hard.  Now, if the ship could just keep the same baker each day, I would be happy.

Dressy Night was a visit to the MDR for dinner and I did not see a single tuxedo during the evening.  My dinner service ,from the time I entered until I departed ,was a mere 50 minutes.  A truly efficient operation by all involved.

My day was spent scanning and uploading menus and daily programs.  Here is a link to all of the information that I have collected over the past two cruises, including the 7-Day Alaska MDR dinner menus for the 2024 season: Updated Dining and Beverage Menus

Next stop Juneau

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Day 09 Juneau

The day began and ended in a steady rain.  My water resistant camera/lens, Gore Tex hiking shoes, and USB hand warmer, performed flawlessly. 

Room Service called me 80 minutes before the time set on my alarm to advise me that Raisin Bran was not available.  Still in sleep mode, I opted for Cheerios which I detest.  Again, my order arrived 25 minutes before the time I had requested.  At least the pastries were good.  

My small-group whale watching excursion found shelter ashore as we waited for the arrival of our shuttle bus.  The ramp down to the excursion boat was really steep.  18 passengers were with me on a small boat with hinged windows that were opened when whales were spotted.  When asked to identify our hometowns, I was shocked to hear the couple behind me also announced that they from Albuquerque.  Snack bars and water were provided.  Many whale encounters happened but only a few fluke photo opportunities.  Of note, was the new bathroom facilities at Auke Bay for both pre- and post-boat ride use.  As the returning excursion boat neared the Nieuw Amsterdam, I noticed the line for Tracy's Crab Shack had no end in sight.  With five ships in port, the streets were very crowded.  Return to the ship included a local facial recognition scan and I was thanked by name for my participation.  My brain paused for a moment before I remembered that I had just been in Juneau the first  week in May. for another scan

Dinner was at the less than half-filled Canaletto.  I have noticed that the unneeded Canaletto servers have been helping in other dining venues.

For the second day in a row, the cookies earned a B+ rating.  Could someone aboard be reading this thread?

Tid Bits:

• The Captain is the least informative in my many cruises experience.
  • There are around 30 whale watching tours a day in Juneau with five ships in port.
  • Five ships in port create a real crowd but some happy jewelry store operators,
  • Onboard TV reception often freezes.
  • Internet speed in my aft stateroom is 47.85 Mbps and 8,68 Mbps.
  • There is a new luggage direct program from the ship to the airport.  I will get more details and post.

Next stop Skagway.

Similar Juneau fog:

image.jpeg.5d1b581b7f4dc48a59c1b8ac4a185d51.jpeg

• Like 6

I am interested in the activities available onboard, particularly on your sea days or when you miss a port.  Are there any guest lecturers or naturalists?  Anything oriented to Alaska?  Cooking demonstrations?  I am not a gambler and not interested in coloring for adults. 

Good Morning from Skagway May 14

IMG_5449.thumb.jpeg.4e302789c4a6bb2e92ba993538915cb4.jpeg

We are docked at Ferry Terminal - we were first ship here.  When I went to Decl 10 we were already docked - got to see Princess sail in and she had to tender right behind her came Celebrity.

IMG_5458.thumb.jpeg.e683b1119fd6f984d0fc2eb36e0bec03.jpegIMG_5456.thumb.jpeg.48d069effb699749507223774a8f250a.jpegIMG_5453.thumb.jpeg.d61daa4ab02138682760c4d60bcca512.jpegIMG_5454.thumb.jpeg.2b7e6cbe8883c693ebb0a34f22632c0d.jpeg

IMG_5455.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 0106 said:

I am interested in the activities available onboard, particularly on your sea days or when you miss a port.  Are there any guest lecturers or naturalists?  Anything oriented to Alaska?  Cooking demonstrations?  I am not a gambler and not interested in coloring for adults. 

There was a naturalist onboard in Glacier Bay the last week of April and there have been several talks this cruise that I did not attend.

Here is a link to the daily programs that I am posting each day:  Alaska 14-Day Daily Programs

Alaska 7-Day Daily Programs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 5/10/2024 at 11:58 AM, Cruising on a Sunday afte said:

Has Morimoto’s taken over Tamarind?  I made a reservation for Tamarind a few weeks ago for our August cruise. Now I see they have noted “delivered to dining room” on my reservation details. That will not be nearly as fun.

I also have Tamarind reservations in August, guess I better check my itinerary.  I want a speciality dinning experience, not an upgrade to the dining room menus experience.

1 hour ago, maggiev said:
On 5/10/2024 at 11:58 AM, Cruising on a Sunday afte said:

Has Morimoto’s taken over Tamarind?  I made a reservation for Tamarind a few weeks ago for our August cruise. Now I see they have noted “delivered to dining room” on my reservation details. That will not be nearly as fun.

I also have Tamarind reservations in August, guess I better check my itinerary.  I want a speciality dinning experience, not an upgrade to the dining room menus experience.

You will have dinner in Tamarind. As I posted in #104: That's also on our reservations for Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto when choosing "View My Purchases" on "My Itinerary" (HAL Website). Just means the meals will be provided in the selected venue. Does not mention MDR.

I had dinner on Sunday at Morimoto and Monday at Tamarind- you check in at the same hostess stand but both restaurants are stand alone with a sushi station in the middle.

Morimoto was superb - it was truly not just a meal but an experience- I felt like I was on Top Chef.  Too many times the celebrity chef restaurant at sea does not live up to its on shore equivalent but for Morimoto I can confidently stay you will have the same quality and standard of service and here is the best part at a considerable discount.  

Tamarind was very good but I remember it being a little different than last year on the Westerdam and missing was some signature cocktails that were only available at Tamarind.

IMG_5279.thumb.jpeg.bcbfd1dabebca1d774b80ffd053f7580.jpegIMG_5280.thumb.jpeg.28a0eba8ea973da50bce7752aad7cc13.jpegIMG_5290.thumb.jpeg.1e2973014b79c053fc1e95c5c36715ed.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Day 10 Skagway

My day began with broken clouds and other ships in port. 

Unlike my last docking next to the cliffs, the Nieuw Amsterdam was docked away from the rock slide area.  My excursion bus driver recounted that the government has two individuals camped atop the cliffs to operate the laser measurement devices that monitor any potential future rock slides.  Supposedly,  there are more than 100 Skagway residents on the waiting list for the $60K jobs.

As usual, Room Service arrived 25 minutes before the "around" time of my requested delivery.  This must be a downside of an aft stateroom as those farther from the stern receive their breakfast on time,

I arrived 15 minutes early for my train into the Yukon excursion and learned my tardiness earned a seat in the back of the bus next to the bathroom. The long bus ride to Emerald Lake made a roadside stop to photograph mountain goats and purchase snacks from a local vendor..  Continuing along he road, mountain goats were more plentiful than normally seen this early in the season.  The barbecue lunch at the Wildlife Center (formerly Cairncross) was the same as my last visit.  The museum offered large stuffed animals that will be interesting subjects for Photoshop AI creations.  A short stop in Caribou Crossing preceded a train ride back to Skagway.  Broken clouds with a bit of fog occurred deep into the Yukon.

My daily cookie evaluation was limited to peanut butter and chocolate chip versions. For both, a bit of crunch had grown to reduce the chew which resulted in a "B" grade. It must be noted that my fellow passengers seem to begin forming a line for ice cream cones at the Sweet Spot whenever I wish to select just a few cookies for evaluation.  Last year, HAL cookies were self-service items.

Dinner was at the Tamarind that was 80% filled.  Interestingly, I saw no guests in the Morimoto Restaurant.

Tomorrow is a visit to Endicott Arm, pea soup, and a MDR Alaskan Brunch.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

You will have dinner in Tamarind. As I posted in #104: That's also on our reservations for Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto when choosing "View My Purchases" on "My Itinerary" (HAL Website). Just means the meals will be provided in the selected venue. Does not mention MDR.

Thank you - I posted before I finished reading the whole post.

Thank you for the info - may have to look into Morimoto also

Great info and lovely photos!  I may have missed this but how about NY Pizza? I see on the deck plan it is outside, aft of the Lido.  How does it compare with the one on the Koningsdam?  Any info would be appreciated.

Enjoy!

On 5/5/2024 at 1:07 PM, regan3 said:

The daily program you posted for Skagway talks about a mandatory port shuttle new?

Curious about logistics, long lines, short ride, etc.?

Thank you 

I’m just off the Noordam,  May 5 to 12,  there has been a rock slide at the Skagway pier,  , the bank has been netted to keep additional loose rocks from falling on on people walking underneath and the docked ship is apparently too far away to be impacted.However,  for a ship docked closest to the slide area, 5 minute tenders are required as per the local port authority.   It was really windy in Skagway on May 8 so it was very tricky getting into the tender and several mobility restricted passengers didn’t bother going ashore.   
judging by the size of the slide area I don’t see it being cleared away for a couple of months.   But the other end of the dock does have a shuttle service as it’s further away from the slide area,  and yes the shuttle drivers are all looking for tips.

IMG_1472.jpeg

You mentioned that it's hard to get a table in the Lido and that you breakfast by the indoor pool.  I do too, since it's generally more serene and much quieter.  Lido can be chaotic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Great info and lovely photos!  I may have missed this but how about NY Pizza? I see on the deck plan it is outside, aft of the Lido.  How does it compare with the one on the Koningsdam?  Any info would be appreciated.

Enjoy!

Signature-class NY Pizza is a much smaller facility next to the Seaview Bar by the outdoor pool.  The menu is limited to pizza and salad.  Being so close to the Lido Market Buffet makes it easy to bring some of your own ingredients for custom pizzas.  In my case, Feta cheese and spinach makes a great pizza.

Breakfast is quite a secret and never a line on the Pinnacle-class ships.

Here is the latest menu (Note that only pizza and salads are available on Signature):  New York Deli & Pizza - 2024

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

Signature-class NY Pizza is a much smaller facility next to the Seaview Bar by the outdoor pool.  The menu is limited to pizza and salad.  Being so close to the Lido Market Buffet makes it easy to bring some of your own ingredients for custom pizzas.  In my case, Feta cheese and spinach makes a great pizza.

Breakfast is quite a secret and never a line on the Pinnacle-class ships.

Here is the latest menu (Note that only pizza and salads are available on Signature):  New York Deli & Pizza - 2024

Excellent info, thanks. Next up from DH: how about the brownies? On the Noordam the Explorations Cafe on 3 used to have the most luscious brownies with lots of chocolate icing. Now, 2 years in a row: disaster. Just cake with about a millimeter of icing! On the N Amstedam where is the Exporations Cafe? Any info about brownies would be appreciated.

19 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Excellent info, thanks. Next up from DH: how about the brownies? On the Noordam the Explorations Cafe on 3 used to have the most luscious brownies with lots of chocolate icing. Now, 2 years in a row: disaster. Just cake with about a millimeter of icing! On the N Amstedam where is the Exporations Cafe? Any info about brownies would be appreciated.

Explorations Cafe on Nieuw Amsterdam is on Deck 11 Forward.  It opens at 6am abd you can get coffee till 9pm - the bar section is open till 10pm.  You can get hot espresso drinks in lido but only during service hours for that day but exception is no espresso during that late night service 10:30 - 11:30pm. Espresso also available in Pinnacle Bar 7am to 4pm.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 8:23 AM, Crew News said:

There was a naturalist onboard in Glacier Bay the last week of April and there have been several talks this cruise that I did not attend.

Here is a link to the daily programs that I am posting each day:  Alaska 14-Day Daily Programs

Alaska 7-Day Daily Programs

Hi Roger, thank you for posting the daily programs we are on Nieuw Amsterdam in July for two weeks so really helpful.  I am sorry if I missed it, I didn’t see any reference for Happy hour drinks at 50 % off.  Do you know if there are any happy hours?

Thanks, Mary

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi Roger, thank you for posting the daily programs we are on Nieuw Amsterdam in July for two weeks so really helpful.  I am sorry if I missed it, I didn’t see any reference for Happy hour drinks at 50 % off.  Do you know if there are any happy hours?

Thanks, Mary

3:30 PM in both Ocean and Billboard Onboard 50% off.

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1

There is a new optional luggage program in Vancouver, "Direct to Bus Program," that eliminates picking up luggage in the terminal for those booked on a HAL airport shuttle to either Seattle or Vancouver airports.  It will be on special airport transfer buses that depart before 8:00 AM. 

Other airport shuttles will depart at 8:30 and 9:30 AM for those that want to roll their own luggage to the airport shuttle buses and hand their Canada Immigration to a waiting hand while exiting the baggage terminal.

I am weighing the pros and cons.

Pros:

• Canada Immigration forms are pre-submiited with program form.
  • Don't see your luggage until you get off the shuttle bus.
  • Don't have to roll your luggage to the bus

Cons:

• Cannot add items used the night before Embarkation Day
  • Cannot see your luggage loaded into the shuttle bus.
  • Ship departure with line with "self-disembarking" passengers.
  • At least 30 minutes less sleep.
  • Earlier breakfast.
  • Cannot turn in luggage outside of four hours before flight.
  • Longer wait in airport terminal.
  • Unproven system.
  • Lost luggage in a foreign country issues.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2