RCL cruisers about to go on our first Carnival....

My first Carnival cruise ever is on the Mardi Gras next week. I've sailed most of the Oasis Class ships on RCL and looking forward to seeing how this stacks up.

Anyone done both ships and have an opinion/comparison on it? Any tips for an RCL cruiser coming over to Carnival for a first trip?
  • Like 1

I loved MG!  Please check out Big Chicken up on Lido, so tasty!! Emeril's is a small upcharge but totally worth it!  Try the Bananas Foster Crepe and the Muffuletta sandwich! Street Eatz changes daily and is included. Get some gelato on Lido by the Shawarma station.  Go early to get seats for shows, some venues don't have the best sightlines. Serenity is adult only and a great place to chill. Bonsai Teppanyaki is fun and super tasty! Make reservations on your cruise manager.

Have a wonderful cruise!! 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Tbh the Oasis class is unique in cruiseship design and there's very few other cruiseline ships that can compare. Having said that the adults only Serenity area is really nice as is the various complementary eateries scattered around the ship,mostly open for lunch. The pizza on the MG is far superior to Sorrentos along with Guys Burgers. 

You will have a great time on the MG, but realize you just can't compete with what the Oasis class of ships offer. From Central Park, aquatheater, ice skating rink, rising tides bar, a Fitness center over 2x the size than the MG, etc there's really no comparison.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2

I dunno, ive been on the biggest and smallest ships on Carnival and NCL.  I had a blast on them all.  

In fact the smaller ships often seemed less crowded and hectic.  Sure there were fewer a la carte restaurants and bells/whistles but the passengers per sq ft ratio seemed better.

Id embark the MG with an open mind.  

We booked MSC Divinia based on one senior citizens recommendation on shuttle bus from FLL to Port Miami. Looooved it, mostly.  But what ive read from others over the years would have discouraged me. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Just got back from Mardi Gras and while we haven't sailed Oasis we have sailed Anthem of the Seas and I thought that Mardi Gras was good competition for Anthem. Anthem had the bumper cars/roller skating, Mardi Gras Bolt and the ropes course. Anthem the Solarium, Mardi Gras Serenity (with a salad bar instead of a bistro). Anthem the Dog House, Mardi Gras Big Chicken and Street Eats and Guys and Blue Iguana. Anthem 270, Mardi Gras Center Stage. The only tip is go with the flow and have a great time- Carnival and Royal aren't as far apart in the product they offer as many think. Here's a link to my review. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3005559-mardi-gras-420-to-427/#comment-67313447

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 3

As others have stated don’t miss out on the Big Chicken restaurant! Not a lot of people know that it’s actually open for breakfast as well and had an amazing chicken and biscuit sandwich! The Bolt! roller coaster is $15 but totally worth at least one ride, I’d recommend it on a sea day for the best views. Cucina del capitano and Chibang restaurants are included on this ship for no extra charge, definitely check them out. I really enjoyed Cucina for lunch. Have an open mind and you’re going to have an amazing cruise! She’s a really great ship. 

• Thanks 1