Queen Victoria

Minnie29

Disembarked Queen Victoria yesterday morning and tested positive for Covid on the last day onboard. 
wonder if anyone else has tested positive? 
wonderful experience onboard despite catching Covid.

Had a Princess Grill cabin and have to say that the whole Grills experience was fantastic!!! The staff in the Grills lounge and restaurant were superb. 

Poor you. I suppose it was good it was the last day, and I hope you are not feeling too wretched now you are home.

As a lot of crew have been transferred to the new ship from QV and the others, have you noticed lots of new staff?

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your unwanted souvenir, I hope you're feeling better soon. It's good to hear that the trip was still fantastic. 

• Like 2

It’s the first time I’ve had Covid and I feel rotten but it’s the risk you take with any holiday not just cruises. 
Was very careful onboard but could have caught it in Hamburg, Rotterdam or Bruges 

Hopefully will start to feel better soon

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

It’s the first time I’ve had Covid and I feel rotten but it’s the risk you take with any holiday not just cruises. 
Was very careful onboard but could have caught it in Hamburg, Rotterdam or Bruges 

Hopefully will start to feel better soon

How miserable for you. I’m not sure it being the first time makes much difference. My multi-injected husband had it for the third time at New Year, and was so ill he had to be admitted to hospital. His first two times he had just felt mildly unwell and rather tired.

41 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

I tested positive on Saturday so day 5 for me. Getting awful night sweats and still feeling really achy and very tired. 

You should start feeling better soon, I hope. But don’t expect the tiredness to vanish overnight. How is your sense of taste?

Poor you, I know how you feel though, I caught Covid for the first time last summer after a week on Queen Victoria.  I started feeling ill on the first full day, in the evening.  I put it down to sea sickness as it was my first ever cruise although I had been sailing before and never felt sick.  There was a lovely bartender in the Commodore Club who kept me topped up with ginger based cocktails, purely medicinal, which unsurprisingly did make me feel a lot better at the time. I was amazed when I tested positive as I've nursed three children when they caught Covid several times each at school and I never succumbed.  

I lost my sense of taste and smell for about a month.  Funnily though I brought the bottle of Pol Acker back with me as it had remained untouched in the fridge.  I opened it at home and even lacking my ability to taste and smell I couldn't finish it!

It didn't put me off sailing though, I've got a couple more trips planned with Cunard.  I hope you feel better soon and as exlondoner said expect to feel tired .  All the best.

I can still taste but have no appetite at all which I suppose is good for the waistline after the cruise. 

Drinking lots of water though and resting. Have been taking paracetamol twice a day but not really sure if that’s helping much. 
Just hoping my husband doesn’t catch it as he had a stem cell transplant 2.5 years ago for blood cancer and is still classed as low immunity. He did have his Covid Spring booster 2 weeks ago.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

Drinking lots of water though and resting. Have been taking paracetamol twice a day but not really sure if that’s helping much. 

Paracetamol helps reducing the impact of a fever / high temperature along with body aches and headaches. Most people find it helps with COVID-19, others less so, and find switching to ibuprofen more effective. If you don't really have body aches but do have a temperature, that's a common reason why ibuprofen may work better. Aspirin can upset the stomach somewhat but a small percentage of people find it works for them. By all means ring 111, your surgery or your pharmacist for specific advice. (COVID-19 is not specifically covered under the new Pharmacy First scheme though). And yes, liquids is always important in this scenario.

At 2 weeks the vaccination will just about be at full strength, so hopefully that helps.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

I can still taste but have no appetite at all which I suppose is good for the waistline after the cruise. 

Just hoping my husband doesn’t catch it as he had a stem cell transplant 2.5 years ago for blood cancer and is still classed as low immunity. He did have his Covid Spring booster 2 weeks ago.

Fingers crossed for both of you. We haven't had it [yet] either and are hoping QA has the anti virals if needed.

Spring booster was a couple of weeks ago  so although it won't prevent, it might mitigate symptoms.

I'm taking our masks with us, just in case we feel they're needed.

One thing we noticed on our recent cruise on QV was how readily people crowded into the lifts. It was almost as if people had forgotten Covid ever happened. A few times it was so bad that my wife and I just got out of the lift and waited for an emptier one.

Also I noticed at check in there was not one question regarding health of passengers boarding.

There were always questions previously asking if boarding passengers had any cold/flu or upset stomach symptoms.

When did this stop?

1 hour ago, Minnie29 said:

Also I noticed at check in there was not one question regarding health of passengers boarding.

There were always questions previously asking if boarding passengers had any cold/flu or upset stomach symptoms.

When did this stop?

What happened was that initially after the pandemic there was a host of paperwork regarding vaccine certificates and forms for specific countries such as USA and Spain, so the whole check-in process was staring at papers and somewhat avoiding the question "are you well?". It wasn't a big deal on Cunard either, I gather P&O, Saga and Fred. Olsen made more of this.

Then as the forms were abandoned the focus returned to passports, visas, the 90 day Schengen rule, passports not more than 10 years old and credit cards. So the focus moved on. I've not been asked by Cunard about health, affidavits or insurance for about 2 years now, but I've sure seen them counting my Schengen stamps.