Drinks Package Price Increase - how frequently does it go up?

Posted (edited)

For those who have cruised Cunard before can you advise how often they increase the prices of their drinks packages please?

I am not sailing until November 2025 and, had the run the numbers and decided that the premium soft drinks package would be worthwhile. However, the package has now increased by over $4 a day but, the drinks prices on the menus haven't increased. Of course, Cunard may not have uploaded the new menus yet.

I now don't know whether to book the package now, or, wait until nearer the sail date and risk further price rises. 

Many thanks 

Edited by Knightofni85
Grammar

4 hours ago, Knightofni85 said:

but, the drinks prices on the menus haven't increased. Of course, Cunard may not have uploaded the new menus yet.

I don't think Cunard have uploaded many current menus.

If you find anything where small glasses of wine are listed as 150ml rather than 175ml, or spirits in 1oz and 2oz measures rather than 25ml and 50ml, it is not a current menu.

Although I don't think soft drink prices vary as much as wines and cocktails.

I've no idea whether they might increase the package price again before you sail.

Another thing to consider as you appear to be UK based is the GBP:USD exchange rate. I'm keeping an eye on that and if it becomes particularly beneficial I will book our packages in advance. That of course is almost impossible to forecast.

• Like 2

Having looked at this for another thread.........

The menus for; Chart Room, Golden Lion, and Main Bar Menu; all with filenames stating May23 are close to being current.

The Main Bar Menu linked to from the Garden Lounge on some ships is aug_2022 and not current.

• Like 1

Thanks @D&N following your tip I looked at the Golden Lion menu from May23 and used that to re-run my maths.

You're right, the soft drinks prices haven't changed significantly. So, I'm going to think about it some more 🙂

I hadn't considered the exchange rate, which, on reflection feels quite daft. So, will play that into future calculations. 

Thanks again

• Like 1

I just noticed the prices for the non-alcoholic drinks packages have gone up recently. Not sure when these were increased. This might be effective as of the Queen Anne maiden voyage date, May 3rd. Also they've changed the name of the Premium package as noted below.

Anyway, here are the details. All these prices are per person per day.

Premium Soft Drinks Option

(name changed to Premium Non-alcoholic Option)

Increased from $36.00 to $40.50 if purchased in advance.

Increased from $40.00 to $45.00 if purchased on board.

Speciality Hot Drinks Option

Increased from $13.50 to $15.75 if purchased in advance.

Increased from $15.00 to $17.50 if purchased on board.

Soft Drinks Option

Increased from $10.80 to $13.50 if purchased in advance.

Increased from $12.00 to $15.00 if purchased on board.

I am not seeing any changes in the pricing for the Beers, Wines and Sprits Option where the prices depend on the length of the voyage.

• Like 3

I think that's the second increase in quite a short space of time.  We were on Queen Victoria in October and the Premium Soft Drinks was $30 then.  Even at that price we had debated whether we got our moneys worth out of it, although I like the peace of mind of having it.  

We're on QM2 next month and as it had increased to $36 we had decided against it, we're just going to pay as we go. With this new increase I'm really not sure the package is worth it, although...

We don't drink a lot of alcoholic drinks and one of the things from the menu we do enjoy are the non alcoholic cocktails.  I spied a Queen Anne drinks menu in somebody's YouTube video and the price for these is now $11.50 when they had previously been $8! That's a huge increase bringing them in line with some of the alcoholic drinks and I can't see anything else in the drinks menu that's gone up by such a percentage.

So, if you think your drinks choices may include these then the drinks package may become more attractive again.

36 minutes ago, Luna-Boo said:

I think that's the second increase in quite a short space of time. ...

Right. The last price changes went into effect this past December. Before then, these were the prices.

Beers, Wines and Spirits Option

$70 for voyages of 5 nights or more in advance, $75 on board

$85 for voyages of less than 5 nights in advance, $90 on board

$30 in advance, $35 on board

$12.50 in advance, $15 on board

Soft Drinks Option

$10 in advance, $12 on board

So yes indeed, this is the second price increase for the non-alcoholic drinks packages since last December. For the Beers, Wines and Spirits Option, the new (and current) pricing structure that went into effect last December represented a price increase for shorter voyages, but a price decrease for longer voyages.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Right. The last price changes went into effect this past December. Before then, these were the prices.

Beers, Wines and Spirits Option

$70 for voyages of 5 nights or more in advance, $75 on board

$85 for voyages of less than 5 nights in advance, $90 on board

$30 in advance, $35 on board

$12.50 in advance, $15 on board

Soft Drinks Option

$10 in advance, $12 on board

So yes indeed, this is the second price increase for the non-alcoholic drinks packages since last December. For the Beers, Wines and Spirits Option, the new (and current) pricing structure that went into effect last December represented a price increase for shorter voyages, but a price decrease for longer voyages.

I'm very intrigued. I'm not a drinks package person normally but have just looked at my personaliser for the 24 May British Isles cruise as my husband has offered to purchase the package for me if I think it's worthwhile.  I am seeing $72 per day for this cruise for the alcoholic package.  At today's exchange rate that will cost me around £807 for the 14 nights.  Silly question time now:

1. Am I allowed any drink on any menu under a certain price - I've seen contradictory amounts of $12.50 and $13.50, which is it please?

2. Are there small bottles of water available not just a discount on large ones?

3. I'm familiar with P&O's drink package system which marks each drink as included, I assume if it's drinks up to a certain limit this wouldn't apply on my QA voyage, but could someone kindly provide more details.

4. I drink copious amounts of teas, both fruit and normal plus a glass or two of wine at dinner.  Other drinks are generally gin and tonic, and possibly a cocktail or two.  Looking at a recent price list it seems borderline on benefit but the convenience is appealing plus of as I understand it no 15% if I take the drinks?

I'm sailing in the cheap seats, not quite the bilges after a kind free upgrade from Cunard but not far off.  Does that affect me?

Thank you for any views or help. 

Edited by Megabear2

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm very intrigued. I'm not a drinks package person normally but have just looked at my personaliser for the 24 May British Isles cruise as my husband has offered to purchase the package for me if I think it's worthwhile.  I am seeing $72 per day for this cruise for the alcoholic package.  At today's exchange rate that will cost me around £807 for the 14 nights.  Silly question time now:

1. Am I allowed any drink on any menu under a certain price - I've seen contradictory amounts of $12.50 and $13.50, which is it please?

2. Are there small bottles of water available not just a discount on large ones?

3. I'm familiar with P&O's drink package system which marks each drink as included, I assume if it's drinks up to a certain limit this wouldn't apply on my QA voyage, but could someone kindly provide more details.

4. I drink copious amounts of teas, both fruit and normal plus a glass or two of wine at dinner.  Other drinks are generally gin and tonic, and possibly a cocktail or two.  Looking at a recent price list it seems borderline on benefit but the convenience is appealing plus of as I understand it no 15% if I take the drinks?

I'm sailing in the cheap seats, not quite the bilges after a kind free upgrade from Cunard but not far off.  Does that affect me?

Just remember that, if your husband and you are sharing a cabin, you both have to purchase the package.

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Just remember that, if your husband and you are sharing a cabin, you both have to purchase the package.

I'm travelling solo this time as a last minute booking which is why he's offered to buy me it.  I've never had one on Cunard (or P&O for that matter) which are my favoured lines but I did have a package on Celebrity last year and it made my life very simple which is why we have discussed it.  I'm just not sure on the machinations of how Cunard's one works.

27 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

You are probably borderline.

The 15% is included with the package, so if you do add up what you would spend on pay as you go make sure to include that.

If you want the Forté teas, they will cost $4.54 each including 15%, but there is a range of all sorts of teas available in the buffet and other places that I think are all included.

There are small bottles of water and we had re-sealable cans as well. Big bottles are not included other than getting 20% discount.

And $13.50 is the current limit per drink. The other figures you'll read about here are for the package included in US Grills offers.

A thought on the free teas; if you find that there is a full range in the buffet, but not in other lounges, you could grab a bundle of your favourites and carry them around in your pocket/bag to produce if the lounge you are in doesn't have them.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Obviously a very personal thing, but if I was cruising solo I'd probably pay for the package, as parking yourself at a bar for a drink or a coffee, without consciously or subconsciously putting a value on whether you need the drink is a great way to watch the world go by, give opportunities to chat to other guests or staff and generally enjoy the time on board. You can just drift where the mood takes you.

Edit - thinking about it more, I definitely would. It would also allow you to scope out any activities you may be interested in without the full on commitment of diving straight in to something, as there is normally an outlet of some kind nearby the various venues used for the activities. 

Edited by King Amo
Adding more thoughts
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

The small bottles are included in the relevant packages, but getting still water at meals is easy (in fact you can't stop that from happening) and free. There's water always available in the Kings Court / Artisans' / Lido , the gym and a few other places.  The large bottles of still and sparkling water are relatively good value and you can get a small reduction if you go for a room service package of 6 bottles, but they are not included in the drink packages sold in advance.

Generally these drink packages benefit Cunard, and since drinks of all sorts are key to Cunard's profitability, no-one should be surprised that they are not good value. You have to be drinking quite a lot (whether of alcohol or soft drinks) to benefit from them, particularly if there are port days. I know some people give them peace of mind against running up a big bill, but I'm not convinced of that logic since it amounts to paying more to avoid paying more. Mind you, as a shareholder I perhaps shouldn't stop people thinking like that!

Another factor - if thinking of buying in advance - is any onboard credit you have. After the hotel charge, what else would you be doing with the OBC? You can use the OBC for packages, but only at the higher rate for packages purchased on board.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is it appropriate to ask here:  what brand of soft drinks dos QM2 serve/  (I'm a Diet Coke person: my DD is a gingerale person).  And what is the cost of the 

This is our first Cunard cruise (westbound TA), so everything is new.  We usually cruise Princess & never get either drinks pkg. since I don't drink alcohol at all & DD/SIL only have wine w/dinner -- the occasional "floofy" drink or cocoa.  I usually have free soda w/my elite mini-bar exchange.  The cost of a beverage pkg just never is cost effective for any of us.

The prices listed in Post # 7 are per day -- right?  It looks like a pkg will not be cost effective for us.  I'm 'solo' in a cabin; my "kids" would both have to buy a pkg -- right?

THANKS for any advice/info!

44 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

The prices listed in Post # 7 are per day -- right?  It looks like a pkg will not be cost effective for us.  I'm 'solo' in a cabin; my "kids" would both have to buy a pkg -- right?

Per night. So if your sailing is advertised as 7 nights, then 7 is the multiplier.

Package is per stateroom, so if you are the only one in the stateroom then it's only your choice you need to concern yourself. If your offspring are in a separate stateroom sharing (it's not clear from your wording) then they have to both be on the same package. 

If you have a decent On Board Credit then it wouldn't look like you are going to need a package, it's quite a lot of diet coke to make it break even. It's Diet Pepsi that in the fountain drinks, $3.85 per 500ml large glass, bottle Diet Coke in the 330 ml bottles = US$4.00.

• Thanks 1

Out of interest, do they have self-service soda stations for those on the drinks package like on Royal Caribbean, or do you have to queue at the bar each time? Likewise do they provide the refillable cup?

6 minutes ago, King Amo said:

Out of interest, do they have self-service soda stations for those on the drinks package like on Royal Caribbean, or do you have to queue at the bar each time? Likewise do they provide the refillable cup?

Drinks always come via the serving crew. The exception being Lido / Kings Court / Artisans', where the free drinks are self service. But at the bars and cafés you have to order - they may scan your card on their gizmo or take it away to the till. Mostly it is table service, but you can order over the bar at the Golden Lion, Commodore etc. So the refillable cup doesn't really come into it.

Thanks Pushpit. Doesn't surprise me, as the machines are not really Cunard's style, but it works well on RCI as it keeps the bar service running much more efficiently as staff don't need to worry about dispensing endless soft drinks. 

Cunard has some nicer soft drink brands like Fettermams and Fever Tree that are used for cocktail mixers but are delicious on their own. Not sure if those brands have diet cola though.  Hot chocolate is excellent too. All covered in that package. 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, NE John said:

Cunard has some nicer soft drink brands like Fettermams and Fever Tree that are used for cocktail mixers but are delicious on their own. Not sure if those brands have diet cola though.  Hot chocolate is excellent too. All covered in that package. 

Fentimans has a rather lovely cola but it's not on Cunard.  Fever-Tree too, and again not available on Cunard, though both brands have other drinks that are otherwise available on board.  The basic soft drinks package hasn't got those brands or Diet Coke or the hot chocolate, but they are in the Premium Non Alcoholic package.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Fentimans has a rather lovely cola but it's not on Cunard.  Fever-Tree too, and again not available on Cunard, though both brands have other drinks that are otherwise available on board.  The basic soft drinks package hasn't got those brands or Diet Coke or the hot chocolate, but they are in the Premium Non Alcoholic package.

The fine print of all these packages!

• Like 1

Well after taking all your kind information and having the should I, shouldn't I drinks package debate, I've bitten the bullet and my husband has purchased it for my upcoming cruise.  Working out my normal daily spend on drinks of all nature I'm probably at break even or just below it.  There was some dithering over whether the premium soft drinks plus PAYG for alcohol might be better but convenience as mentioned by King Amo finally swung it.  So I'm in rather than out.  I'm no wine connoisseur thankfully, just a glass of white with lunch and dinner, but I was quite surprised that the choice within the package looks very constricted by the cost being higher than the price limit. It will be an interesting experiment. 

Thanks for the help and advice which helped the decision.

• Like 2