How do those hand washing machines work?

Ok so I tried google but didn’t discover much about how those hand washing machines work. On Volendam at the Lido buffet there was an automatic thing you could stick your hands in but I never tried it. Not knowing what’s in there made me think of blindly sticking my arm in a gopher hole or something 😄 like I was visualizing all that could be wrong with it. I’m assuming it must be fresh water for every user and not recycled? Clogged drains? Mold growing in there? Anything germy in there? Of course I’m sure it’s all very hygienic and fine but these were the thoughts in my head. Does anyone know how it works, what the process is that your hands run through? Interested in the how does it work aspect. Thanks! 

IMG_8283.jpeg

Hi @kelliebiz

i love the hand washing machines! They’re kind of like a car wash for your hands. You put your hands in the holes, and then warm jets of water go around and around and wash your hands. It stops automatically and then you just use the paper towels to dry then. Easy peasy! 

• Like 4

"Unlike a manual hand wash, CleanTech® has been 3rd-party tested in a GLP-certified lab to ensure that every hand wash removes more than 99.9% of harmful pathogens, every time. Each 12 second automated hand wash is also 100% touch free with no cross-contamination between users meeting hygiene requirements for GFSI, FDA FSMA, USDA and GMP standards. A photo-eye sensor begins each hand wash automatically when hands enter the system, eliminating any risk of cross-contamination from touch points."

-from The Meritech website.

Screenshot_20240506-231401_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

This last trip I didn’t want to take my watch off each time. I’ll be aboard Nieuw Amsterdam in a few weeks so I’ll definitely take off my watch and try it then. I was surprised to see it, having never heard of such a thing before. I like the description from @BeachBum47 of a car wash for your hands 🙌 

• Like 1

Maybe they'd get more traction if they used clear plexi on the top so people can see what they're putting their hands into. 🧐  On day three when the novelty wears off, add some disco lighting in there to keep the interest going. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

They sanitize, then do a proper rinse. Keep your hands in until it stops. 12 seconds kind of feels like forever the first time!

way better than having that weird residue that the sanitizer dispensers leave 

Edited by shipmeoff!
Rambling
  • Like 5

The smallest members of the crew are actually inside the machine with scuba gear and a pair of matching brushes.  If you move the paper towels to one side, you can sometimes see their happy little faces as they brush your hands. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 22

I was a bit creeped out the first time I used them, but then I got over it. I put my hands in too far once and could feel the swirling mechanism at the bottom, but it wasn’t like the blades of a food disposal so I was quite relieved ☺️. I love using them now - much nicer than sticky, wet, smelly hand sanitizer. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, fox02554 said:

The thought had never crossed my mind ... until now 😳

I saw a horror movie once where a guy had a mental breakdown and stuck his hands in one…. that’s what was on my mind the first few times I used the hand washers!  😣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Navybikermom said:

I saw a horror movie once where a guy had a mental breakdown and stuck his hands in one…. that’s what was on my mind the first few times I used the hand washers!  😣

HAHA you are seriously broken 🤪

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

Are these devices on all of the ships?

I haven't seen them on every ship, but they are fun to use.
I agree with the others who posted how much better these are than the sanitizing machines, too. These actually wash your hands, which sanitizer doesn't. Your hands feel a lot cleaner with them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jhannah said:

It's actually several cats in there that lick your hands clean. You know how fastidious they are. 😀

best explanation so far…

• Haha 1

This looks like a different model from the same company so it’s probably similar. I really wanted a plexiglass cover so you can see the parts in there. Like the several cats mentioned by @jhannah