Princess transfer confusion

sharon_pei

I am trying to purchase transfer from Whittier to Anchorage airport with princess, by first calling the travel agent (Costco in this case -- i know i am not supposed to release the name of the travel agent but this is for the sake of explaining the sources of the information) and was told that there is no transfer provided by princess unless if you booked a back to back cruise with Princess. 

Then I called princess directly and their agent said there is transfer available but they can not process the purchase and it would have to be via a travel agent unless if you directly booked your cruise with princess. 

I called the travel agent again and still was told there is no such service provided. Oh well... Anyone else traveling with Princess can help clarify which one is the case and how to get transfer set up if it at all exists for one way cruise passengers? Thanks!

We are going on a southbound cruise from Whittier on August 21, 2024. Our travel agent booked us a hotel for August 20th and a train transfer through Princess for August 21st.

My sister had a transfer booked automatically somehow when she booked her EZ Air flights.  Not sure how it got booked same TA as above?  She called and canceled it as she needs to get to the airport fast so has arranged a taxi transfer instead.  So you should be able to book it somehow? 

We purchased our transfer from our travel agent.  You can book a transfer through the Whittier excursion section on your reservation on the Princess website.  This transfer though is a sightseeing one and is way more than we paid for just the transfer.  

You can also book a transfer from someone other than Princess.  I’ve used Alaska Cruise Transfer (the Big Bus) a few times.  They’ll pick you up at port and take you directly to the airport.  You can also book tours with them that will stop at the Alaska Wildlife Center, Girdwood, and/or other spots.  Generally cheaper than a Princess transfer…

https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/

Thank you all for your inputs. I double checked the shore excursion section of Whittier and there is no standalone transfer offered. There are only combo tours: Portage Glacier Scenic Cruise & Drive with Airport Transfer, 26 Glacier Cruise & Anchorage Transfer, Turnagain Arm, Wildlife conversation center and tram with airport transfer. Nothing else, but all these tours wouldn't make sense to us as we need to get to airport around lunch hour to pick up our rental car. I know i can book a third party transfer, but thought the transfer provided by princess will be worry-free on a hectic disembarkable morning. 

We used Delta Cruises to book and they called Princess to add the transfer. Delta could not see it as an option in their own booking software. It was $118 for the 2 of us on May 18. I would call Costco back and ask them to call Princess to add your transfer. We have used Costco for other cruise lines before and they have always been happy to call, as is their job.

11 hours ago, sharon_pei said:

Thank you all for your inputs. I double checked the shore excursion section of Whittier and there is no standalone transfer offered. There are only combo tours: Portage Glacier Scenic Cruise & Drive with Airport Transfer, 26 Glacier Cruise & Anchorage Transfer, Turnagain Arm, Wildlife conversation center and tram with airport transfer. Nothing else, but all these tours wouldn't make sense to us as we need to get to airport around lunch hour to pick up our rental car. I know i can book a third party transfer, but thought the transfer provided by princess will be worry-free on a hectic disembarkable morning. 

The basic transfer from ship to airport is under the "Flights" tab in your cruise personalizer.   Just scroll down past the EZair section, and you should see "Transfers".

We have booked transfers in the  past without using EZair.

Mary

If this is the end of your cruise - you can book the transfer on the ship.

Though your travel agent should be able to book a transfer from Whittier to Anchorage. They often will taken you to the Egan Center as a holding spot. You can leave your luggage there and explore Anchorage until your flight. There is then several shuttles to the airport as most flights are late.

What time is your flight from Anchorage? That potentially could cause an agent not to book a transfer though I think you are dealing with inexperienced agents.

On 5/8/2024 at 1:50 AM, sharon_pei said:

I know i can book a third party transfer, but thought the transfer provided by princess will be worry-free on a hectic disembarkable morning. 

Using a third-party transfer can easily be worry-free.  They do this all the time.  I have used them in the past with no issues.

6 hours ago, Coral said:

If this is the end of your cruise - you can book the transfer on the ship.

Though your travel agent should be able to book a transfer from Whittier to Anchorage. They often will taken you to the Egan Center as a holding spot. You can leave your luggage there and explore Anchorage until your flight. There is then several shuttles to the airport as most flights are late.

What time is your flight from Anchorage? That potentially could cause an agent not to book a transfer though I think you are dealing with inexperienced agents.

I am getting transfer to the airport to pick up a rental car, so time doesn't matter as strictly. Well, i just feel costco customer service number can hardly be called a travel agent at all as they don't know anything really about these cruises. this is my first time cruise ever, but i will probably directly book with the cruise line website for next cruise vacation. It's just very painful that the cruise line isn't going to deal with anyone who doesn't direct book with them and the so called travel agent isn't an agent or not doing the job cruise line expects its agents to. 

24 minutes ago, sharon_pei said:

I am getting transfer to the airport to pick up a rental car, so time doesn't matter as strictly. Well, i just feel costco customer service number can hardly be called a travel agent at all as they don't know anything really about these cruises. this is my first time cruise ever, but i will probably directly book with the cruise line website for next cruise vacation. It's just very painful that the cruise line isn't going to deal with anyone who doesn't direct book with them and the so called travel agent isn't an agent or not doing the job cruise line expects its agents to. 

Cruise lines pay travel agents for a reason.  Why bother paying a travel agent if the cruise line still needs to do a lot of the work?  Sounds like you needed more than a simple online cruise agency who you just wanted to handle a booking.  There are other more customer-service oriented agencies that can help you.  Or as you said, book directly with the cruise line.

1 hour ago, frugaltravel said:

Cruise lines pay travel agents for a reason.  Why bother paying a travel agent if the cruise line still needs to do a lot of the work?  Sounds like you needed more than a simple online cruise agency who you just wanted to handle a booking.  There are other more customer-service oriented agencies that can help you.  Or as you said, book directly with the cruise line.

Sounds like they are an order taker and that is it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I use a real TA who specializes with cruises. Sometimes those who answer the cruise line phone has never been on a cruise so that doesn't work out either. I have helped people with transfers and cruise ship hotels when Princess direct can't. Sort of scary actually.

Feel assured you can book a transfer on the ship to Anchorage.

You may want to try again with your "agency" and speak to a supervisor. Have them look under transfers or packages.

Have a good cruise.

Edited by Coral

On 5/12/2024 at 10:53 PM, Nelsj099 said:

You are looking for a transfer after your cruise.  You can book that onboard as well. 

Yes it is for post cruise.  I wonder if you book it onboard would they give you a departure time at the start of the week or would you have to wait till closer to the end to be assigned time?