Doctors onboard

Hi - we are going on Arvia on Sunday and I have an 8 month old baby girl. She’s got a bit of a cold at the moment and I’m started to worry about it turning in to a chest infection and not being able to get her treated. Does anyone have any experience of seeing a doctor onboard or being prescribed antibiotics? I’m assuming that as they allow babies onboard they will cater for them medicine wise? I know it’s expensive to see a doctor onboard but obviously if she is poorly I’ll pay any cost. 

Thanks

Would you not be better getting her seen before you depart, either by a GP or a pharmacist?   Then, if it was felt warranted, you would be given a few days prophylactic antibiotics.  The other issue being if you did have to see a doctor on board, your insurance company may not consider reimbursing the cost if you knowingly boarded when you daughter was unwell.

• Like 4

The doctors on board can vary in the same way as they do on land but in my, limited, experience are more than competent to handle most situations and they do have shore side to fall back on.

The prescribing of antibiotics will not not be a problem as such but whether they would have the right one for an eight month old is another question. Also if any tests need to be done then that may require shore side intervention. In a worst case scenario you need to be prepared for a medical disembarkation.

Personally I would be checking with my GP if she is fit to travel and if so check with P&O, and possibly your travel insurance company.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, showingdiva said:

Would you not be better getting her seen before you depart, either by a GP or a pharmacist?   Then, if it was felt warranted, you would be given a few days prophylactic antibiotics.  The other issue being if you did have to see a doctor on board, your insurance company may not consider reimbursing the cost if you knowingly boarded when you daughter was unwell.

Haha yes have tried and as always no appointments available, don’t really think it’s deemed urgent as it’s just a cold at the moment. I will also phone again tomorrow at 8am to see if I can talk to the GP. I’ve also contacted the health visitor (registered children’s nurses) and again have to wait upto 48 hours to discuss but they will phone me before we go.

I have insurance in place but I don’t care about what’s it’s going to cost to see a doctor. It’s just more to the fact I want piece of mind that they would prescribe me children’s antibiotics if I do need them. 

Thanks

• Like 1

I can’t comment on the doctors but had a thought that the air con can exacerbate colds/coughs so maybe a travel humidifier for the cabin. Quite reasonable prices.

Hope everything goes well and you all have a great holiday x

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JessicaB97 said:

Haha yes have tried and as always no appointments available, don’t really think it’s deemed urgent as it’s just a cold at the moment. I will also phone again tomorrow at 8am to see if I can talk to the GP. I’ve also contacted the health visitor (registered children’s nurses) and again have to wait upto 48 hours to discuss but they will phone me before we go.

I have insurance in place but I don’t care about what’s it’s going to cost to see a doctor. It’s just more to the fact I want piece of mind that they would prescribe me children’s antibiotics if I do need them. 

Thanks

If as others mention it did develop and need shoreside intervention you would be facing a bill of thousands of pounds which may well not be covered by insurance as you travelled knowing the little one may not be fit to do so.  It's easy to say no matter what it costs but in December it was £100 to walk in the door before any medication.

A cold is a virus, anti-biotics will not help as they are anti bacterial. You just have to ride a cold out unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, CCFC said:

A cold is a virus, anti-biotics will not help as they are anti bacterial. You just have to ride a cold out unfortunately.

You are absolutely correct.   However, if - heaven forbid - it did develop into something else into such a small child, on a cruise ship, away from the UK, if it were me I would be wanting reassurance and all avenues covered before I walk up the air bridge.

• Like 3

From my experience babies have constant colds!

Keep an eye on her now, lots of fluids, keep Calpol handy and in a couple of days all should be OK.

Above is correct that a cold is a virus, but bacterial chest infections can be caused as a result and antibiotics may be needed.

Pharmacy First dispensaries can administer antibiotics if it does move to an infection.

Not wanting to be a pessimist, but your baby is definitely up-to-date with whooping cough vaccinations?

This is one of many things that start off with the same symptoms as a cold - the majority of times it is just a cold (babies immune systems are very busy developing) but I really would speak to your GP - forget all the "I don't think it's urgent" bit and insist on behalf of your baby.

Mush better to feel embarrassed about making a fuss than to later wish you had made a fuss.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. Have seen the GP this afternoon, they’ve checked her ears, throat, chest, temperature and feel she is a perfectly healthy to be going on holiday. She has a slight red throat from coughing but feel it’s just a cold and her body is acting as it should be to fight the cold. No need for antibiotics and have assured me not to worry. 

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Not wanting to be a pessimist, but your baby is definitely up-to-date with whooping cough vaccinations?

This is one of many things that start off with the same symptoms as a cold - the majority of times it is just a cold (babies immune systems are very busy developing) but I really would speak to your GP - forget all the "I don't think it's urgent" bit and insist on behalf of your baby.

Mush better to feel embarrassed about making a fuss than to later wish you had made a fuss.

Yes all vaccines are up to date and managed to see GP this afternoon 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JessicaB97 said:

Thanks for the input. Have seen the GP this afternoon, they’ve checked her ears, throat, chest, temperature and feel she is a perfectly healthy to be going on holiday. She has a slight red throat from coughing but feel it’s just a cold and her body is acting as it should be to fight the cold. No need for antibiotics and have assured me not to worry. 

That's good - at least if anything happens your GP will have all of that on record.

1 hour ago, JessicaB97 said:

Good news.   I've worked in the NHS for 25 years, and I understand the frustrations.

I hope you have a great cruise.

• Thanks 1