QA Canaries 10 May Comments

exlondoner

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Gorgeous weather. Cabin very nice, but would be stupendous if it didn’t have the partition in the middle. Beds very comfortable. I am spending the next fortnight looking at a wall in the QG. Navigation of ship quite complicated, as is putting on a life jacket. QG Lounge a dark hell hole, though you can see out of the roof. Commodore Club gorgeous.

Oh no! I had been hoping you wouldn't get one of the wall tables. I had my doubts about the QG lounge, and I'm sorry to hear them confirmed. I love that the lounges on the Vistas face and have access to the terrace. But even so, when I've been in PG, I've been more inclined to got to Commodore Club than the grills lounge. 

• Like 2

The lifts problem may be as simple as reprogramming them. This is, I believe, a common problem with new lift installations both on land and sea.

just keep mentioning it so that somebody picks up on the problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, david63 said:

The lifts problem may be as simple as reprogramming them. This is, I believe, a common problem with new lift installations both on land and sea.

just keep mentioning it so that somebody picks up on the problem.

I’m sure you are right.

• Like 1

Re the lift situation, how are those with wheelchairs and mobility aids faring with them? Clearly those passengers will be most reliant on them so sufficient room and time to board will be vital.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Re the lift situation, how are those with wheelchairs and mobility aids faring with them? Clearly those passengers will be most reliant on them so sufficient room and time to board will be vital.

Coming close to being crushed, particularly if having to manoeuvre round other users. I am sure it will be easily remedied, but the sooner the better.

• Like 2

We are onboard today. A slight health scare meant we weren’t sure we would be boarding until embarkation morning. All well now thankfully. 
I think part of the problem with the lifts is that staff are also using them to transport trollies.  We have had several lifts arrive full of staff with equipment. Would have thought they would have their own lifts. We dined in the anytime Britannia restaurant at 7. Short wait for a table initially told we had to share but when we declined magically Two tops appeared. A little wait but quite acceptable. Food was good. Quite a long queue when we left. Will post more later - our room service lunch has just arrived promptly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This is our first Cunard adventure, being Elite on Celebrity, having previously sailed on the Silhouette from Southampton. We are in a standard balcony cabin on Anne. We only have celebrity to compare to. We are finding the cabin a little smaller but acceptable. Hanging space is ok, but the rest of storage is lacking. Celebrity have 3 deep drawers by the dressing table and a large cupboard over the bed, which we are missing. Cunard have cubby holes next to the hanging spaces. The bottom ones are a bit low for me as I can’t kneel down due to dodgy knees. We are using our packing cubes in the cubbyholes and our cases under our bed and will iron as needed. All the storage is immediately opposite the bathroom, with a narrow corridor in between. This is really annoying as when you are getting ready in the morning or changing for dinner we are constantly in each others way. 
The description of the theatre as similar to our local multi screen cinema is accurate. Sight lines are good and we could hear well. However there is no sense of occasion as we have seen on the other Cunard Queens. 
Something to note about the hairdryer. It’s not very powerful and you have to keep the on knob held down while using. I use an elasticated hair tie to keep the knob down as I found it tricky with my arthritic thumbs. If you have long hair, or need to blow dry into a style it may pay to bring your own dryer. ( some parts of the Cunard site say hairdryers are prohibited, other parts say they are allowed!). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ok. I don’t think the concierge lounge will be our go to as on the Vistas but it’s acceptable if you haven’t experienced QE/Qv's lounge. 

The lifts are smaller than Vistas and I can see why there are couches in the lift lobbies. One could grow old waiting for a lift at times.

The lift doors issue must be rectified and I have been told 'they are aware' of the over enthusiastic door closures.

One thing which I think will be a real problem are the new washers and dryers. They are high tech compared to dial the programme and push button for the cycles. Two of the three on our deck are out of action already, the readouts showing Er and that’s not a hesitation or a suffix. It’s error!

No idea how long they’ve been out of action but again 'they' are aware.

Read the instructions and use the little symbols as a guide folks!

Restaurant

The chairs are really comfortable  although the plastic/ faux leather ( think it’s  faux) seating might  give rise to a sweaty bottom in hot weather.

I like the colour scheme, the staff are smiley and competent and the M'd an absolute gem, but then we already know him from QV.

More when it occurs.

x

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, King Amo said:

You've been on a day and already hit the laundry? Come on Victoria, have a drink instead! 

Sorry, what’s wrong with sussing out the ship's facilities when they are only a hop and a skip away from the cabin?

For those in Grills check out the  'Deck Bar at the Cabana'  same level as the Grills deck just through that door.

I discovered it whilst staying onboard in Lisbon  not a soul there only me, however, after some time I was intrigued to see several Grill guests who had also discovered it and joined me. A super  atmosphere during hot weather and serviced by three former Q. Victoria  bar crew members - the only time I really felt at home on QA 😅    

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, King Amo said:

Apologies for an attempt at friendly lightheartedness that clearly failed to land. 

I find a smilie indicates any sort of levity.

4 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

For those in Grills check out the  'Deck Bar at the Cabana'  same level as the Grills deck just through that door.

I discovered it whilst staying onboard in Lisbon  not a soul there only me, however, after some time I was intrigued to see several Grill guests who had also discovered it and joined me. A super  atmosphere during hot weather and serviced by three former Q. Victoria  bar crew members - the only time I really felt at home on QA 😅    

On our list to investigate.

We've come across three QV staff members so far but of those, the M'd is the only one we will come into everyday contact with but you’re  right. Familiarity certainly helps.🙂

• Like 2

Just now, Bell Boy said:

You are spot on! This has become our "go to" bar. It's lovely and away from the crowds - hopefully we can keep it our Cruise Critic secret. The only issue is that it closes at 6:00 PM. We went there for a refill during yesterday's sail away (which was quite disappointing) and they were closing. Way too early!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Ok. I don’t think the concierge lounge will be our go to as on the Vistas but it’s acceptable if you haven’t experienced QE/Qv's lounge. 

The lifts are smaller than Vistas and I can see why there are couches in the lift lobbies. One could grow old waiting for a lift at times.

The lift doors issue must be rectified and I have been told 'they are aware' of the over enthusiastic door closures.

One thing which I think will be a real problem are the new washers and dryers. They are high tech compared to dial the programme and push button for the cycles. Two of the three on our deck are out of action already, the readouts showing Er and that’s not a hesitation or a suffix. It’s error!

No idea how long they’ve been out of action but again 'they' are aware.

Read the instructions and use the little symbols as a guide folks!

Restaurant

The chairs are really comfortable  although the plastic/ faux leather ( think it’s  faux) seating might  give rise to a sweaty bottom in hot weather.

I like the colour scheme, the staff are smiley and competent and the M'd an absolute gem, but then we already know him from QV.

More when it occurs.

x

There are actually two slightly different types of chair. The ones you and we have, with more of an arm are much more comfortable than the others, which I had changed. I think the restaurant as a whole is lovely, just not our position. Things have improved as my husband has agreed to swap round every meal, so every other meal we get a nice view. But I still think whoever organised the arrangement was out of their mind.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But I still think whoever organised the arrangement was out of their mind.

I often wonder if those who design cruise ship interiors have ever been on a cruise ship let alone sailed on one. The current thinking appears to be that if you can design the interior of an hotel then you are qualified to do the same on a ship.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, david63 said:

I often wonder if those who design cruise ship interiors have ever been on a cruise ship let alone sailed on one. The current thinking appears to be that if you can design the interior of an hotel then you are qualified to do the same on a ship.

The arrangement would be just as bad in a seaside hotel.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NE John said:

Hope you two had a nice meetup. 

I shall begin a campaign of intimidation to terrorise Victoria from her table. Or perhaps not, as she seemed pretty nice. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I shall begin a campaign of intimidation to terrorise Victoria from her table. Or perhaps not, as she seemed pretty nice. 😀

Spitballs seem to terrorize well…especially in Latin class!

55 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Ha.

and I thought you were ok too. Hope I don’t have to be looking over my shoulder ( literally as Ex L is literally to the side and behind us) for the next two weeks!

I too can’t understand the architects and their planning with those banquettes but at least we are both in a great section of the restaurant. 🙂

• Like 4

Only two canapés. Not long ago on QE we used to get six. 

But I adore the black and white marble bathroom, which, glory of glories, has a lovely bright light over the bath (unlike in the Vistas), which makes reading a delight.

I tried the sunny side of the prom deck, and it was better than I expected for walking and passing. But there would be no possibility of lounging.

• Like 3