QA Canaries 10 May Comments

exlondoner

1 minute ago, NE John said:

In QG, when they offer Classic Caesar salad, do they prepare the dressing homemade via tableside prep or will I have to preorder homemade Caesar dressing and the works?

I haven’t the faintest idea. I’ve never had such a thing. Sorry.

I saw some tableside prep on YouTube and wanted to know if they still do that. Thanks anyway. I would order alc too from those offerings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I don’t think so, except in his restaurant. He ought to get to work on the rather meagre cheeseboard. No Stilton!!

No Stilton?! And that’s in Queens Grill? — Can’t say that I’m much in favor of this whole Michelin-starred-chef-inspired-cuisine thing, even without an upcharge. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NE John said:

In QG, when they offer Classic Caesar salad, do they prepare the dressing homemade via tableside prep or will I have to preorder homemade Caesar dressing and the works?

Caesar on the menu comes pre prepared. Off the menu and as a special would probably be what you would order.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, rmsEtruria said:

No Stilton?! And that’s in Queens Grill? — Can’t say that I’m much in favor of this whole Michelin-starred-chef-inspired-cuisine thing, even without an upcharge. 

Michelin has nothing to do with QG.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Michelin has nothing to do with QG.

Introducing Michelin starred chef M. Roux’s input to the QG menu (and the pub menu) on QA adds some marketing punch for Cunard to counter Oceania and other lines who brand themselves as the “Best food at Sea!” I believe Roux’s input is not, however, fleet wide (yet). 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NE John said:

Introducing Michelin starred chef M. Roux’s input to the QG menu (and the pub menu) on QA adds some marketing punch for Cunard to counter Oceania and other lines who brand themselves as the “Best food at Sea!” I believe Roux’s input is not, however, fleet wide (yet). 

I do apologise. He has had input. Sort of.

As far as I can see on a cursory glance, on 16th May, the dinner menu had one appetiser, two entrees and one pud which were Michel Roux Jr inspired, so forgive me if I haven’t noticed his input to the QG menu.

Just now, Victoria2 said:

I do apologise. He has had input. Sort of.

As far as I can see on a cursory glance, on 16th May, the dinner menu had one appetiser, two entrees and one pud which were Michel Roux Jr inspired, so forgive me if I haven’t noticed his input to the QG menu.

Apologize? Never a need for that! My point was that Cunard brought in a Michelin starred chef to keep up their branding with other lines boasting of their celebrity chefs. Maybe we’ll have Paul Hollywood inspired dessert night coming up soon. 

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Caesar on the menu comes pre prepared. Off the menu and as a special would probably be what you would order.

If you have it with the optional smoked salmon, that gets added table side. Well that's what I saw on the maiden on the table next to me.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, richard_london said:

If you have it with the optional smoked salmon, that gets added table side. Well that's what I saw on the maiden on the table next to me.

Sorry, my confusion, this was in Sir Samuel's not QG. This is the salad as served with dressing already on

IMG_20240509_121845_658.jpg

Edited by richard_london
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NE John said:

Yet.

3 hours ago, rmsEtruria said:

Yet.

Shows how significant M.Roux's influence has. Last night's menu also had a couple of 'inspired' dishes.

Didn't notice but I did notice off menu dishes being prepared and a la carte requests!

Thank goodness the  Cunard QG usual offerings are still with us. The food has been up to its usual very high standard.

Yes there has been the odd logistical blip but who cares. We have looked upon this as another shakedown cruise and have been more than happy to have taken part.

ps

raining this morning in La Coruna. Sun hasn’t even bothered to get its hat out of the closet! 🤣

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Shows how significant M.Roux's influence has. Last night's menu also had a couple of 'inspired' dishes.

Didn't notice but I did notice off menu dishes being prepared and a la carte requests!

Thank goodness the  Cunard QG usual offerings are still with us. The food has been up to its usual very high standard.

Yes there has been the odd logistical blip but who cares. We have looked upon this as another shakedown cruise and have been more than happy to have taken part.

ps

raining this morning in La Coruna. Sun hasn’t even bothered to get its hat out of the closet! 🤣

My husband had M. Roux’s veal dish, which he thought was very nice.

La Coruña is a very wet place.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

My husband had M. Roux’s veal dish, which he thought was very nice.

La Coruña is a very wet place.

Great, just one problem, it’s veal! 😦

I think you agree with me though, the standard of QG offerings has been high, be they menu, a la carte or 'specials'.

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Great, just one problem, it’s veal! 😦

I think you agree with me though, the standard of QG offerings has been high, be they menu, a la carte or 'specials'.

I think the food is very good, though not always what one expects from the description.

The veal was very beefy, so not a maltreated baby calf!

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think the food is very good, though not always what one expects from the description.

The veal was very beefy, so not a maltreated baby calf!

Yes, there have been a few surprises, the desserts spring immediately to mind! 😀

Luckily, all very tasty.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, david63 said:

Just like the UK then. No need to have gone on a cruise😂

David, you are late to the game. We have been saying that most of the time with two caveats.

'You' have had the better weather

We have had the pleasure of being at sea with Cunard’s new ship.

We win😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

ps

It's tipping down here...went to Dublin at the weekend and was expecting this weather there. But it was gorgeous; 20C and sunny  - luckily as was at open air concert at Croke Park

• Like 1

9 hours ago, richard_london said:

You can ask for a salad, Caesar or not from the kitchen with any fixings/ ingredients of your choice. If N E John wants specific dressing on kitchen  prepared salads, it might be a good idea to bring his own.

If the salad is prepared as a special, ie tableside ( and I have seen this done) then the dressing will also be table side prepared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Yes, there have been a few surprises, the desserts spring immediately to mind! 😀

Luckily, all very tasty.

The word tart is a particular lottery. Sometimes it is a small circular pastry thing with a filling, sometimes a triangular slice from something bigger, sometimes a long rectangle with a pastry bottom, and sometimes a disc of puff pastry with no sides but stuff assembled on top. Usually agreeable, however.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

That sad notice headed Preparing for disembarkation was waiting on our bed when we got back from breakfast. 😢

That's just mean ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3