Sapphire Princess May 11, 2024 Cruise Delayed - Propulsion Issues

12 minutes ago, Justme9998 said:

I understand everyone's point of view... deal with issues and don't get in a frenzy about things not under your control and the utter disappointment as a cruise not going as planned.  (I am one of the latter).  My issue is more with Princess management of the situation.  I am booked to board the ship on May 18 in Whittier and I have heard nothing from Princess or been offered any options.  Let's hope this is because they expect to have everything fixed.  I will be doubly dissappointed if it is not, because if they had notified me earlier I would have the chance to make changes but as of now, I am facing losing a lot of money if I cancel.  I booked and paid for the vacation experience they advertised so feel Princess has to take on some responsibility for not delivering, regardless of what is in the contract.  

We are joining you on the 18th as well.  We fly out tomorrow to spend 4 nights pre-cruise.  I would like to know what is happening before we get on our flight tomorrow.

Posted (edited)

I am on this cruise and it will probably be my last. I am supposed to be on for the out and back and at this point what I want is an option to get at least a partial refund and get off in Whittier. We are realistically missing half our ports and the inside passage and I have zero faith that the return cruise will be less of a disaster.

Princess is wholly responsible for this.  Coming in to Vancouver they knew there were issues and you can't tell me that the 8 extra hours we spent still in port on Saturday they couldn't determine how bad it would be and give people an option to leave with a refund.   

Edited by Oldfallman30
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just called Princess to see if there are any updates or concerns for the May 18 sailing on Saturday.  They told me that nothing has been mentioned about the Sapphire's issues so there is no need to concern.  Well, I'm concerned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sillygoosecruise said:

I'm sorry, I'm right there with you. The atmosphere on the ship is just terrible. People are angry and there vibe is just terrible. Princess really has done irreparable damage to their perception. They better make this right, I want my refund.

It's amazing how many people and companies just don't get how important communications is. From my airline days, I remember how the company pushed to pilots "Push or Talk" - at departure time, if the plane wasn't pushing back, they should be talking and letting the passengers know why we weren't.

I mentioned earlier being on a TA that had to deviate around a hurricane. Yes, that happens but as I said, the communications from the captain were abysmal. First announcement besides mentioning the hurricane said we'd miss the next two ports. No mention of where we were going instead. Several hours later, those of us looking at the map (cabin TV and some of the public displays) could see we had changed course again but not a word from the captain so it had become the magical mystery tour. Second announcement from the captain didn't come until 36 hours after the first and didn't provide much of substance. And the next announcement was another 36 hours after that where we were finally told we'd be arriving in New York a day early. 72 hours of not really knowing what we were doing and it was clearly showing with upset passengers and even ship's staff who were equally in the dark. It was actually hard to enjoy the sea days when you're wondering just what was being planned for us. Could we have done anything different? No. But knowing helps you mentally prepare for the next few days.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, TRLD said:

One of the participants on CC is a former chief engineer @chengkp75  on NCL who often comments about maintenance related ship issues.

I have the greatest respect for this contributor and his very detailed and knowledgeable responses. I would be interested in his opinion on what is wrong with the ship if he’s following this thread. We’re booked on an Antarctic cruise on Sapphire and wouldn’t want to experience similar issues down there. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My hope is that Princess does right by the current passengers and any future ones. 

I am not a cruiser but will be on Ruby in July for the purpose of seeing Alaska. I understand if something breaks down but as noted above communication is key as is level setting with customers. 

The sailing prior had propulsion issues so these issues were known prior to the current taking off. It feels as if Princess should have communicated and given optionality to passengers before making way. As someone who goes for ports and does not enjoy ship life, I would have chosen not to board and instead spend a week in Vancouver or Northern Washington rather than skipping two planned focal points to look at the ocean some. 

Thats what bothers me. This isn’t a case of a propeller going after embarkation so now plan on the fly. This broke before passengers were even on when there was still time for those who wanted to change could have. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Generator515 said:

My hope is that Princess does right by the current passengers and any future ones. 

I am not a cruiser but will be on Ruby in July for the purpose of seeing Alaska. I understand if something breaks down but as noted above communication is key as is level setting with customers. 

The sailing prior had propulsion issues so these issues were known prior to the current taking off. It feels as if Princess should have communicated and given optionality to passengers before making way. As someone who goes for ports and does not enjoy ship life, I would have chosen not to board and instead spend a week in Vancouver or Northern Washington rather than skipping two planned focal points to look at the ocean some. 

Thats what bothers me. This isn’t a case of a propeller going after embarkation so now plan on the fly. This broke before passengers were even on when there was still time for those who wanted to change could have. 

Exactly! They knew the ship had problems but didn't say anything until it was too late. I never would have agreed to this kind of trip if I had access to the information they withheld. In terms of the May 11th cruise, this was a preexisting issue in which they withheld key information. It's criminal.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Princessscrewedme said:

Exactly! They knew the ship had problems but didn't say anything until it was too late. I never would have agreed to this kind of trip if I had access to the information they withheld. In terms of the May 11th cruise, this was a preexisting issue in which they withheld key information. It's criminal.

In 2024..is all about the 💵💵💵💵

1 hour ago, scvgirl said:

I just called Princess to see if there are any updates or concerns for the May 18 sailing on Saturday.  They told me that nothing has been mentioned about the Sapphire's issues so there is no need to concern.  Well, I'm concerned.

Wow!  I am even more concerned now.  If they are not aware of the issues, or don't seem inclined to do anything about them, how can we be comfortable that they are looking after it?  Hopefully they get things straightened out, both the maintenance and the management of it, soon. I expect this will be a marketing / public relations disaster for them if they don't get on it!

Just now, Justme9998 said:

Wow!  I am even more concerned now.  If they are not aware of the issues, or don't seem inclined to do anything about them, how can we be comfortable that they are looking after it?  Hopefully they get things straightened out, both the maintenance and the management of it, soon. I expect this will be a marketing / public relations disaster for them if they don't get on it!

It's a call center. 

If it's not in the script, they don't have an answer.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Princessscrewedme said:

Would you have preferred to be refused boarding? Princess strands thousands of guests?

• Like 2

Just now, startedwithamouse said:

Would you have preferred to be refused boarding? Princess strands thousands of guests?

If it meant a refund and compensation, then yes. Cruising the open ocean as we drive by the ports I could have seen is not a good use of my time.

• Like 2

Ideally, in a perfect world, passengers should have been given the option. But we live in a world where corporations care more about $. It’s not the same thing but during the Spring Revolutions I had a land trip scheduled in March to Tunisia & everything hit the fan in December & continued to get worse. I kept getting the same script when I called but the day I read there were Tunisian army snipers on rooftops in Tunis I called & asked to be put on a Sicily tour in May which the company did.

13 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Didn’t RCCL just do that on an Alaskan voyage the other day? Boarded everyone, determined there was an issue and then had them disembark? Was a news story for a day and bet you there is a subset of passengers happier with that. 

Perhaps a different issue but both ships are one way (YVR to Alaska) and noted propulsion. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

That would be a big hit for the company.

Not going to happen.

Royal Caribbean handled this with more grace when the Radiance of the Seas had propulsion issues in April 2024.  Not only did booked passengers get a full refund, but also FCC in the full amount of their cruise fare.  Cruise was also supposed to go to Alaska.  Instead of an abbreviated cruise, RCCL cancelled it all together.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/04/royal-caribbean-cancels-radiance-of-the-seas-departure/

• Like 4

Am currenly on this disastrous cruise. The big problem right from the beginning. Left Vancouver at midnight, after 8 hour of delay. Being told about problems with the schedule. Cruising very slowly. At one point the engines were switched off and we began drifting! After some  a new attempt to start thd engine, I think one engine is working only, looking from the back of the ship. Next announcement: we are not going to Ketchikan (one of the main reason to come here). Two land tours had to be cancelled. We were hoping that afte that the remaing schedule will be followed. But NO. Recently we were told that we will arrive in Juneau late afternoon instead eearly morning. Our next tours had to be cancelled. We are waiting for the new announcement because there are rumours that we will miss out the next port of call - Juneau, altogether.

Next issue: I booked a speciality dinner online  in the Sterling Steakhouse. On the day of our dinner we could not find it on the ship. The visit to the Service Deck was a big surprise: the Sterling Steakhouse does not exist as it was replaced by Brazillian Restaurant. BUT  we were not notified about the change + we don't like the Brazillian food. The nice juicy steak meant to beva surprise anniversary treat for my tavel companion. My travel companion has never cruised before. I am an Elite member.  It took me two years of convincing to try for the first time. Now there is no chance that the decision not to put the foot on the ship will be changed. I am very sorry but you lost a very loyal customer and a new potential one. OUR SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY CRUISE got ruined. We flew 15 hours to get to this part of the world and we got cruising prison only. I was told to get a bus from the port to get to the nearest glacier!!! Not happy at all. Just heard from the captain that we will not go into the Glacier Bay. Another nasty surprise.

To all taking the following cruise:

*** CANCEL IF YOU CAN TO AVOID THE DISAPPOINTMENT ***

The standard of Princes Cruises went down dramatically. My travel companion had to go miles to find one unclogged toilet. They are very, very old vessels. They are suitable for scrap metal. Also many previous benefits for the Elite class passengers got scraped.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Princessscrewedme said:

They just cancelled glacier bay

Oh I am so sorry.  Was really hoping they could at least deliver on Glacier Bay.  I hope that Princess quickly lets everyone know how they plan to compensate guests for this mess.  Hang in there!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Princessscrewedme said:

They just cancelled glacier bay

Ugh! That's awful - I'm so sorry for you and the rest of your fellow cruisers. Sending you all lots of positive thoughts that they can somehow make things right and you make it to your other ports of Juneau and Skagway. Do you have anything planned for land travel when you get to Whittier? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Ugh! That's awful - I'm so sorry for you and the rest of your fellow cruisers. Sending you all lots of positive thoughts that they can somehow make things right and you make it to your other ports of Juneau and Skagway. Do you have anything planned for land travel when you get to Whittier? 

Thanks mom! I just want to cry! But I appreciate your support! There isn't anyone offering any support here on the cruise so it means a lot!

• Like 3