Sapphire Princess May 11, 2024 Cruise Delayed - Propulsion Issues

1 hour ago, Auntiejo said:

Yes I already knew about the location of Sterling - wasn't crazy about it, but better than nothing as most people said the food was every bit as good Sterling or Crown Grill on other ships that have a dedicated restaurant. Churrascaria is a whole other thing! LOL

We actually enjoyed it more than a steakhouse on a lower level of the ship and ate there while we were cruising in SE Asia (and Alaska would be similar). Huge windows and scenery passing by. It was very nice. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ljaguar said:

I had hoped we would get another update from the Captain at 9 this morning but it’s 10 & nothing yet. It seems to me the ship has slowed down considerably but that’s just my observation looking at the whitecaps outside my window. I don’t know if this is allowed but in trying to find out more info I found this: https://www.cruisehive.com/princess-cruises-alaska-sailing-impacted-by-propulsion-problems/133731

The visit to Juneau, Alaska, that was scheduled for May 14, is still on the schedule – but now the ship is expected to arrive at around 11:15 pm local time instead of at the intended 1:15 pm earlier in the day. Presumably, guests will be able to explore the popular port the next day, on May 15.”

So we’ll see what happens!

I saw that earlier too and wondered what was going on.  Thank you for keeping us all posted here, we appreciate your onboard observations.  

Marine Traffic finally has a real-time position for you after many hours of being out range of the land-based stations that are used for its free version. You're about 37 miles from Juneau so should be alongside by 1:30pm.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dns65 said:

Sorry, I misinterpreted their comments and when they mentioned "pool" I thought it was setup outside on the deck.  They can easily relocate it to a better area.  All they have to do is get rid of their circa 1998 Internet Cafe [which is rarely used] right next door to Sabatini's and convert it to a restaurant  

There are barely 15 desks in that space that would be a very small restaurant 

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I do hope future passengers have cancel for any reason insurance.  This is just the beginning of the Alaska season.  It is very unfortunate that the Sapphire is experiencing so many issues.  She is a really nice ship to cruise Alaska.  

I am glad Princess offered current passengers a nice compensation package. 

No we don't. In years of traveling have never purchased CFAR insurance.  I would much rather take advantage of whatever the cruise line decides to offer.

2 hours ago, Ljaguar said:

I had hoped we would get another update from the Captain at 9 this morning but it’s 10 & nothing yet. It seems to me the ship has slowed down considerably but that’s just my observation looking at the whitecaps outside my window. I don’t know if this is allowed but in trying to find out more info I found this: https://www.cruisehive.com/princess-cruises-alaska-sailing-impacted-by-propulsion-problems/133731

The visit to Juneau, Alaska, that was scheduled for May 14, is still on the schedule – but now the ship is expected to arrive at around 11:15 pm local time instead of at the intended 1:15 pm earlier in the day. Presumably, guests will be able to explore the popular port the next day, on May 15.”

So we’ll see what happens!

We will be arriving around 1-2pm in Juneau. Thus, just this morning we were able to book a shore excursion to Mendenhall glacier that meets up on port at 4:20pm 😊

• Like 5

1 hour ago, memoak said:

There are barely 15 desks in that space that would be a very small restaurant 

I think it was on the Dawn or Ocean Princess but yes, their specialty restaurant was outside by the pool.  If I recall correctly, it was like $15 pp.  

On 5/13/2024 at 11:52 AM, telecheck said:

If there is another move over offer for the next few sailings for Sapphire Princess, people should seriously consider those offers and take them if possible. At this point, it is better to be on another ship as the full impact of the propulsion issue for this ship is still unknown. I imagine people on the current sailing are regretting not taking the move over offer last week.

There was a move over offer? What was it? We are sailing 5-25. I’m wondering if we could do something now. 

3 hours ago, rjhollan said:

They'll fix it while underway most likely; if they need specific parts or personnel they can onboard that in Juneau. 

Not the first time this year the ship has had similar problems. It also ran into trouble in Chile with propulsion  issues.

18 minutes ago, Boatharbour said:

Not the first time this year the ship has had similar problems. It also ran into trouble in Chile with propulsion  issues.

@KenTheCruiser

Can you tell me if the above was your

experience?  Thank you

• Like 1

Just now, that said:

@KenTheCruiser

Can you tell me if the above was your

experience?  Thank you

Not my experience but I’m in a group travelling to Antartica on Sapphire next year. A fellow member stated that it happened when they were on board earlier this year. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Boatharbour said:

Sapphire Princess did run into trouble with weather that caused it to sail slowly, was not able to dock in one port in Chile (Valparaiso) and had to refuel in a different unschedule port (San Antonio). In total the weather impact caused it to lose a day.

Maybe that is what they are calling "propulsion issues"

Edited by TRLD
  • Thanks 1

OP here.  Didn’t get the Wi-Fi package, so on my phone now that we’ve docked in Juneau with four other ships.

Reading the thread you’ve been brought up to date.

earlier, I heard different things about missing College Fjord on Friday; one was the propulsion issue, another was weather.  The propulsion issue affects maneuvering ability, and the time to get there and out probably played a factor.  I’m sure getting to Whittier on time was most important (the captain said that in his announcement about missing Glacier Bay) and after getting passed by a row boat getting to Juneau 😏, I’m guessing we can’t go to either.

I’ll add a more detailed review once I get home (hopefully Sunday). Quick notes - the ship is superficially in good shape, until you start looking at details.  There’s contractors on board measuring for upgrades for the scheduled dry dock later this year, which is definitely needed.

I think the captain’s announcements have been somewhat lacking, but I put more blame on corporate likely dictating his announcements rather than it being his full fault.  That said, he is ultimately responsible on ship, and no doubt is bearing the brunt of the criticism on board.

something that others have said that’s I’ll emphasize, the crew has been positive and terrific.  

im OK with the 75% x2 compensation and will look for a warm weather cruise to take next year (this is my first, and likely last, cold weather one.  Cold is not my thing!)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, BDevilCruiser said:

OP here.  Didn’t get the Wi-Fi package, so on my phone now that we’ve docked in Juneau with four other ships.

Reading the thread you’ve been brought up to date.

earlier, I heard different things about missing College Fjord on Friday; one was the propulsion issue, another was weather.  The propulsion issue affects maneuvering ability, and the time to get there and out probably played a factor.  I’m sure getting to Whittier on time was most important (the captain said that in his announcement about missing Glacier Bay) and after getting passed by a row boat getting to Juneau 😏, I’m guessing we can’t go to either.

I’ll add a more detailed review once I get home (hopefully Sunday). Quick notes - the ship is superficially in good shape, until you start looking at details.  There’s contractors on board measuring for upgrades for the scheduled dry dock later this year, which is definitely needed.

I think the captain’s announcements have been somewhat lacking, but I put more blame on corporate likely dictating his announcements rather than it being his full fault.  That said, he is ultimately responsible on ship, and no doubt is bearing the brunt of the criticism on board.

something that others have said that’s I’ll emphasize, the crew has been positive and terrific.  

im OK with the 75% x2 compensation and will look for a warm weather cruise to take next year (this is my first, and likely last, cold weather one.  Cold is not my thing!)

Do you know what the month or date of the dry dock will be later on this year?

23 minutes ago, STLCARDS82 said:

Do you know what the month or date of the dry dock will be later on this year?

I think he said October.  You can probably check online and search for future cruises on the Sapphire and find the “blank” weeks.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BDevilCruiser said:

I think he said October.  You can probably check online and search for future cruises on the Sapphire and find the “blank” weeks.

Sapphire last went into dry dock in 2023, so normally wouldn't be scheduled for its next one until 2025. 

6 minutes ago, likeadisguise said:

Sapphire last went into dry dock in 2023, so normally wouldn't be scheduled for its next one until 2025. 

There is a gap between coming back on November 3 from the 10 day to Martinique and the Brazilian adventure that starts on November 13 so there is a 10 day gap there

22 minutes ago, STLCARDS82 said:

There is a gap between coming back on November 3 from the 10 day to Martinique and the Brazilian adventure that starts on November 13 so there is a 10 day gap there

No there isn't. "10-Day Southern Caribbean with Tortola" departs Nov 3.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

Furthermore, Princess uses the dry docks in Portland OR, Victoria BC and Singapore for maintenance. Not southern Florida.

My concern is that a serious propulsion issue may require significant maintenance at dry dock. Nearest facility is likely Victoria. So maybe Sapphire docks in Whittier and then treks slowly down to Victoria. A week or two in dry dock for maintenance. We could be looking at four cancelled weeks. That's exactly how Carnival ended up cancelling four cruises last year to fix propulsion issues and reposition itself. I suspect they will do a more thorough investigation upon arrival in Whittier. Anyone on this weekend's cruise from Whittier hear anything?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

You're right I didn't scroll down. Sorry about that

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Joe Denver said:

My concern is that a serious propulsion issue may require significant maintenance at dry dock. Nearest facility is likely Victoria. So maybe Sapphire docks in Whittier and then treks slowly down to Victoria. A week or two in dry dock for maintenance. We could be looking at four cancelled weeks. That's exactly how Carnival ended up cancelling four cruises last year to fix propulsion issues and reposition itself. I suspect they will do a more thorough investigation upon arrival in Whittier. Anyone on this weekend's cruise from Whittier hear anything?

I doubt this will require a dry dock visit. Dry dock visits are for work outside the hull below the waterline. Everything we've heard said the problem is in the electrical switchboard in the engineering spaces of the ship. I can't see needing to be in dry dock to fix or replace. Might need time alongside a suitable maintenance facility (if new equipment needs to be installed). 

If the propulsion issue was a bent shaft or damaged propeller, then yes, dry dock needed to fix. But shouldn't be needed for something inside the hull.

Edited by lstone19