Sapphire Princess May 11, 2024 Cruise Delayed - Propulsion Issues

1 hour ago, Alaska05 said:

I feel sorry for folks who are doing their bucket list cruise of Alaska. 

It took me a while, but I’ve realized cruising is not the way to visit bucket list destinations. Especially as the more exotic the destination, the more likely things are to go wrong. Cruises are great for visiting Cozumel, where if you miss port, oh well, we’ll have have sip margaritas by the pool on ship. Not so great for the person who has dreamed their whole life if visiting a particular port.  

• Like 4

We left the Sapphire on Tuesday in San Pedro. One thing to note is that Captain Todd McBain will keep the passengers updated with the status. He was outstanding with keeping up apprised with any issues on our cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alaska05 said:

Yep Cruisemapper shows us going west of Vancouver Island. This is our 9th Alaska cruise so no biggie for us. I think most folks won’t know the difference. Just listening to conversations yesterday lots of people don’t do much research about their destination like we do here on CC. Heard an American absolutely mangle the pronunciation of Juneau. We’re doing a B 2 B so will be interesting how the 14 days play out. We’re skipping Ketchikan. We didn’t have anything planned but I feel sorry for folks who are doing their bucket list cruise of Alaska. 

Been dealing with a couple of cabin issues on top of delayed departure and dropped destination.  Somewhat disappointing since we had on to do list for past 5 yrs.

2 hours ago, JJ_Outdoors said:

Been dealing with a couple of cabin issues on top of delayed departure and dropped destination.  Somewhat disappointing since we had on to do list for past 5 yrs.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Cruising is not without mishaps. No ship or cruise line is perfect; just like no automobile is perfect. They are all subject to mechanical errors, etc. I hope you will have a great cruise.

33 minutes ago, shellbeachjim said:

We left the Sapphire on Tuesday in San Pedro. One thing to note is that Captain Todd McBain will keep the passengers updated with the status. He was outstanding with keeping up apprised with any issues on our cruise.

Wondering if that includes any mention of any of the Noro issues while you were onboard? AFAICR I have never been on a ship with an active outbreak, so I am just curious how/if they acknowledge it (by Captain announcement, info on their response in the dailies, etc.). Not that it would scare or worry us at all, besides maybe making us give other passengers the side eye (just kidding). 😉 

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2024/Sapphire-Princess-4-25.html

We have been on different lines on the very next cruise after a report, and have even seen crew in Hazmat gear deep cleaning while boarding, but if we hadn't asked the crew we would have never known why the big effort. That's what makes me wonder about what you're told when it's during the cruise you're on. BTW we never experienced any problems with all the very next cruises across lines - they all have their response regimes down pat.

37 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Wondering if that includes any mention of any of the Noro issues while you were onboard? AFAICR I have never been on a ship with an active outbreak, so I am just curious how/if they acknowledge it (by Captain announcement, info on their response in the dailies, etc.). Not that it would scare or worry us at all, besides maybe making us give other passengers the side eye (just kidding). 😉 

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2024/Sapphire-Princess-4-25.html

We have been on different lines on the very next cruise after a report, and have even seen crew in Hazmat gear deep cleaning while boarding, but if we hadn't asked the crew we would have never known why the big effort. That's what makes me wonder about what you're told when it's during the cruise you're on. BTW we never experienced any problems with all the very next cruises across lines - they all have their response regimes down pat.

The one time we were on a cruise with a Noro outbreak that was big enough for reporting requirements...it was announced ship-wide, all glasses and silverware were not placed on the table in the buffet, no salt/pepper shakers and food in the buffet was served rather than being able to scoop what you wanted.

This was at least 12 years ago IIRC.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

It looks like they are underway and are deviating from their usual route by sailing west of Vancouver Island. Maybe because of scheduling issues?

As far as I know timing is everything when going east of Vancouver Island and especially through Seymour Narrows. That’s likely why they took the route west of Vancouver Island. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Looks like this propulsion issue is not going to get fixed anytime soon? I'm looking at the Pacific Pilotage Authority Pilot Schedule for her & she will be arriving 1 day late into Vancouver on the return sailings resulting in the next 2 departures out of Vancouver being delayed by 1 day. 

Edited by terrybc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

We have a different captain - Paolo Antonio Romano. Probably changed in Vancouver or San Pedro. Rough start for him. 

7 minutes ago, terrybc said:

Looks like this propulsion issue is not going to get fixed anytime soon? I'm looking at the Pacific Pilotage Authority Pilot Schedule for her & she will be arriving 1 day late into Vancouver on the return sailings resulting in the next 2 departures out of Vancouver being delayed by 1 day. 

We are getting on in Whittier next Saturday with 3 nights in Denali pre-cruise. Hope all is resolved by our embarkation.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Alaska05 said:

We have a different captain - Paolo Antonio Romano. Probably changed in Vancouver or San Pedro. Rough start for him. 

@Alaska05Captain Paolo Ravera has left?

IMG_5683.jpeg

Edited by that

@BDevilCruiser

the letter

states

a technical issue with the system controlling ALL MAIN POWER

thus the impact to propulsion and the vacuum toilet/plumbing and more

🤞🏻🙏🏻for resolution/repair

image.jpeg.0bb9810eac1c2ab4607368f5e1ca7b97.jpeg

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, that said:

@Alaska05Captain Paolo Ravera has left?

IMG_5683.jpeg

Captain Rivera has not left. Sorry I was replying to the post that said their captain was Todd McBain when they arrived at San Pedro m

51 minutes ago, terrybc said:

Can you share where to find this info? I wonder how it will affect the south bound sailings.

2 hours ago, terrybc said:

Wait, what? 

2 hours ago, terrybc said:

That seems odd. Generally, if this happens, they shorten each individual cruise to keep the turnaround days the same.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Alaska05 said:

We got on in San Pedro on the 7th and disembarked in Vancouver yesterday the 11th.
Our captain was Captain Paolo Ravera. 

14 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

That seems odd. Generally, if this happens, they shorten each individual cruise to keep the turnaround days the same.

SB Trip the Pilot is Ordered 20 hours Later vs the original Ordered Time. 

3 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Yes we had a noro outbreak on our cruise. The captain gave us daily updates on the status, including the number of people isolated, and the number of new cases the previous 24 hours. At the highest, there were 87 people isolated, and by the end of the cruise the number was 0 with no new cases reported. The communication was outstanding. 

I see by the responses to my previous note that Captain McBain has left the ship, but I'm sure she's in capable hands with Captain Ravera.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I'm thinking TerryBC is misreading the schedule. What I'm seeing on the pilot's website is the next order for Sapphire Princess is Fri 5/24 11:30am at Pine Island (north of Vancouver Island and Seymour Narrows) to arrive at Canada Place Sat 5/25 7:30am as scheduled. That's a 20 hour difference (TerryBC mentioned a 20 hour delay) but I interpret those times as pilot boarding at Pine Island and pilot leaving the ship at Canada Place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

I'm thinking TerryBC is misreading the schedule. What I'm seeing on the pilot's website is the next order for Sapphire Princess is Fri 5/24 11:30am at Pine Island (north of Vancouver Island and Seymour Narrows) to arrive at Canada Place Sat 5/25 7:30am as scheduled. That's a 20 hour difference (TerryBC mentioned a 20 hour delay) but I interpret those times as pilot boarding at Pine Island and pilot leaving the ship at Canada Place.

That's how I read it as well. Then the next one for Sapphire is departing Canada Place on 5/25 and arriving Pine Island 5/26, which would be correct for the 5/25 sailing.

I just read on Reddit that Ketchikan, Glacier Bay and College Fjord all cancelled.  If true, sorry OP!  Hope Princess REALLY makes it up to everyone.  

They've cancelled college fjord. At this point I'd rather just get off and go home. This trip is a waste of my money and vacation time. It's been nothing like what I expected. I haven't been able to afford a cruise until now, so this is the first one since I was a kid. This trip is a really big deal for me financially. This is my first princess cruise, and I feel I have been treated so poorly through this whole experience. I'm just so sad that things have worked out this way.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

I just read on Reddit that Ketchikan, Glacier Bay and College Fjord all cancelled.  If true, sorry OP!  Hope Princess REALLY makes it up to everyone.  

Can you share the Reddit post? I didn't know glacier bay was cancelled. Communication has been abysmal here

8 minutes ago, Princessscrewedme said:

Can you share the Reddit post? I didn't know glacier bay was cancelled. Communication has been abysmal here

I heard College Fjord but not Glacier Bay.  Booked based on route and stops.  2 stops cancelled and basically staring at open ocean most of the day today (and a second unplanned for tomorrow) rather than inner passage coastlines.  Falling well short of our excitement and anticipation.

• Like 1