*LIVE* NCL Joy Bermuda 7-nite sailing from NYC in HAVEN-06/16/2024-w/pics

@JIMESOPUS Jim ... that's a nice B2B, Gem being one of our favorite ships, easy to get around ... doesn't matter whether it's still Summer or not here in the NY Tri-state area or not, by the time you get up to Halifax, Sydney & PEI, likely feel like the Fall that way.  Going to drive across Mass pike to park at Black Falcon T for 2 weeks ?  Is Bar Harbor still a planned tender stop ?  Have a great one !!  Will also be heading that way out of Cape Liberty toward the end of September ourselves with a 2 weeks break in between our Alaska cruise.  

That should be virtually "entertaining" for other CC folks hanging out here.  

• Like 1

@www3traveler  Wow, oops but thanks ... now, what are we going to do for our 16 hours in Skayway (OMG - okay, 14 hours b/c we don't plan to join the Pier Runner's Club & get stranded there.  Worst come to worst, we'll just "wing" it as usual - as long as mother nature doesn't rain down hard on us.  There's a QE trip report this week, and, trying to caution the twin nieces that skies aren't blue daily but often grey, and to pack wet weather & waterproof shoes, not Crocs or sandals.  Worst come to worst, will enjoy afternoon tea since dinner has been changed to late seating.  

8 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

trying to caution the twin nieces that skies aren't blue daily but often grey, and to pack wet weather & waterproof shoes, not Crocs or sandals.

Most important gear to pack for Alaska in August is duck weather gear...rainy season has begun.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Most important gear to pack for Alaska in August is duck weather gear...rainy season has begun.

Yes, madam 😁 SY ... but look what I got recently - dark color blend in easier, except formal & theme nights.  Trying to pack as light as possible, like that TA with overnight stop in Iceland.  At least they aren't going to be using the scale as long as it fit the sizer, gate-checking carry-on remains a distinct possibility with the darn B737 birds (thank "god" for having priority boarding with the Chase bank card, haha) 

20240725_105603.thumb.jpg.624ebc4a92ad0601564883fb866d621f.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Yes, madam 😁 SY ... but look what I got recently - dark color blend in easier, except formal & theme nights.  Trying to pack as light as possible, like that TA with overnight stop in Iceland.  At least they aren't going to be using the scale as long as it fit the sizer, gate checking remains a distinct possibility with the darn B737 birds. 

20240725_105603.thumb.jpg.624ebc4a92ad0601564883fb866d621f.jpg

Very nice! Almost identical to my old ScotteVest. They don’t even sell that version anymore. The new ones don’t have as many outside pockets for easy access. Also love my Eagle Creek pack-it paraphernalia. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just did a B2B Joy and found the crew absolutely super!  Food was also very good everywhere I ate, all specialties except Q and Food Republic.  

They are still saying they are working on new shows.   Look forward to that.  Doesn't seem to me that paying for "Wheel of Fortune" as a evening theater show will make it (though I did meet the winner of $450).

Can't find the post a few pages ago but somebody asked about the Concierge. Recently changed.  It's now Patrick Berido.

Have a great cruise!

My wrist got tired writing so many "Hero" cards!

Edited by snorklinbarb
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2024 at 6:32 PM, debenson0723 said:

I just looked up the fine for my 'speeding' ticket..$265. That is stupid. My brother in law just printed out the Oklahoma statutes and the posted speed was 45, while the 'suggested' speed around the curves I was driving was 30-35. The white sign supersedes the yellow suggested signs. So I am going to fight it (via certified letter to the Court). I think the officer saw an out of state license plate and thought I was an easy mark. Little did he know he is messing with the wrong woman.  Nothing to lose, worse that can happen is I go to jail (just kidding...I will just have to pay the fine). $265 will almost pay for my spa package in November!

Sorry, catching up after catching COVID ‘on last week’s Joy sailing.

Traffic engineer here.  Absolutely fight the ticket, if you were not exceeding the white sign’s speed limit.  The white sign is the regulatory sign, while the yellow sign is a “warning” sign, and is not enforceable.  (It’s more a CYA by the road authority for slightly substandard sections of road.)  Both are described in the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, or MUTCD.

Oklahoma has adopted the MUTCD (as every state must to ensure Federal Highway funding):

The Federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) was developed through observation of driver responses to traffic situations.  The MUTCD provides guidelines for installing signs and thus creates uniformity from state to state. The State of Oklahoma has adopted the MUTCD in Title 47 of the Motor Vehicle and Highway Safety Code.

Get a traffic lawyer in OK.  You’re not only paying the fine, you’d likely pay higher insurance because of points on your licenses if you plead guilty.  They’ll fight this easily.

3 hours ago, BDevilCruiser said:

Sorry, catching up after catching COVID ‘on last week’s Joy sailing.

Traffic engineer here.  Absolutely fight the ticket, if you were not exceeding the white sign’s speed limit.  The white sign is the regulatory sign, while the yellow sign is a “warning” sign, and is not enforceable.  (It’s more a CYA by the road authority for slightly substandard sections of road.)  Both are described in the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, or MUTCD.

Oklahoma has adopted the MUTCD (as every state must to ensure Federal Highway funding):

The Federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) was developed through observation of driver responses to traffic situations.  The MUTCD provides guidelines for installing signs and thus creates uniformity from state to state. The State of Oklahoma has adopted the MUTCD in Title 47 of the Motor Vehicle and Highway Safety Code.

Get a traffic lawyer in OK.  You’re not only paying the fine, you’d likely pay higher insurance because of points on your licenses if you plead guilty.  They’ll fight this easily.

Thank you so much for this. One of the things the officer told me was that if I paid the fine outright, the ticket would NOT go on my record and I would NOT pay higher insurance premiums for it.  I know this is totally false, having been an insurance underwriter in the past. The last point I plan to make is that I never signed the ticket...my name was printed on it. Not sure why he didn't present it to me (something else for research) but that seems a little strange to me also.

Again, I thank you for this information. Hope you are feeling better after your bout with covid...it's still going around, even without being on a cruise ship. 

13 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Thank you so much for this. One of the things the officer told me was that if I paid the fine outright, the ticket would NOT go on my record and I would NOT pay higher insurance premiums for it.  I know this is totally false, having been an insurance underwriter in the past. The last point I plan to make is that I never signed the ticket...my name was printed on it. Not sure why he didn't present it to me (something else for research) but that seems a little strange to me also.

Again, I thank you for this information. Hope you are feeling better after your bout with covid...it's still going around, even without being on a cruise ship. 

That right there tells you it’s a money grab….”just give us the money and everything will be fine”!  No extortion there.  

You need a good lawyer!  Do you know one? 😉

10 hours ago, graphicguy said:

That right there tells you it’s a money grab….”just give us the money and everything will be fine”!  No extortion there.  

You need a good lawyer!  Do you know one? 😉

Not one I can afford!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Not one I can afford!

This is Ohio, so not sure how it transfers.  But, while it's been several years since I received a speeding ticket, I beat 3 of them.  The first one the officer just never showed up for my hearing, so it was dismissed.  The 2nd one, the officer stated he "observed" me going faster than the posted speed limit.  But, after going to court, with a picture of his position he said he observed me, there were signs, tall trees and big bushes in the way of his view.  Case was dismissed.

Last one, my municipality set up a white van on the side of a road with a speed camera pointing out of one if its windows.  I got a speeding ticket in the mail.  Again, went to (Mayor's) court and asked to question the officer who signed my ticket for my offense.  Well, I guess the officer was supposed to be in the van to observe all infractions according to our law.  He was not, or he couldn't recall my offense.  The camera took a picture of my car, but it was grainy and could have been any car.  Plus, Ohio just did away with front bumper license plate requirements.  Again, it was dismissed.

In ALL cases, they said if I just paid the fine it would not add points to my record, nor be reported to my insurance company.  It's a money grab.

On 6/20/2024 at 4:12 PM, graphicguy said:

Ferried into town where the highlights were the Bank, the Post Office, the Police Station and the Bermuda Monetary Building.  

Back on topic here, LOL.. I have a question about St Georges.  I read somewhere that NCL provides a free shuttle from the ferry dock to Clearwater beach.  This is the first I've heard of that.  Do you know anything about it?

@graphicguy Well got a HECK of a deal on the Joy Sept 2-10, New England/CA

Balcony for with perks for $618 (2 CruiseNext & $250 MyVegas voucher)

Flights home from Quebec City required a bit of creativity...flying to Montreal, staying over, then home from there. Flight prices quite reasonable 4 weeks out.

New ship (tho have been on Encore), new itinerary (only been to Portland).

I realize the leaves won't be changing yet & the weather apparently is a crapshoot, but almost 4 months since a cruise--IT'S TIME!

4 minutes ago, KKB said:

@graphicguy Well got a HECK of a deal on the Joy Sept 2-10, New England/CA

Balcony for with perks for $618 (2 CruiseNext & $250 MyVegas voucher)

Flights home from Quebec City required a bit of creativity...flying to Montreal, staying over, then home from there. Flight prices quite reasonable 4 weeks out.

New ship (tho have been on Encore), new itinerary (only been to Portland).

I realize the leaves won't be changing yet & the weather apparently is a crapshoot, but almost 4 months since a cruise--IT'S TIME!

WOO-HOOO!  NICE GET!

Joy's a very nice ship.  And, that's a great itinerary.  Topped off by an outstanding fare.  

Bravo!!!!!

On 8/9/2024 at 11:25 AM, Birdnutty said:

Back on topic here, LOL.. I have a question about St Georges.  I read somewhere that NCL provides a free shuttle from the ferry dock to Clearwater beach.  This is the first I've heard of that.  Do you know anything about it?

Just saw this.  NCL has a water shuttle from the ship to Hamilton.  From there you can catch a bus to just about anywhere.  The busses are quite nice.

Not sure about particular beaches.

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just saw this.  NCL has a water shuttle from the ship to Hamilton.  From there you can catch a bus to just about anywhere.  The busses are quite nice.

Not sure about particular beaches.

Apologies for the correction @graphicguy. The NCL complimentary ferry goes to  St. George not Hamilton. 

@Birdnutty you can ask the workers at the ferry desk how to catch the complimentary shuttle to Clearwater Beach from the St George pier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Apologies for the correction @graphicguy. The NCL complimentary ferry goes to  St. George not Hamilton. 

@Birdnutty you can ask the workers at the ferry desk how to catch the complimentary shuttle to Clearwater Beach from the St George pier.

Oops...you right.  My bad!  Sorry!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Wait? Are you telling me we didn't have to take the bus to Clearwater Beach which required us walking through over hills, fields, and over roads? Then, when we waited for the departure time of the bus....well, the bus never showed so we hoofed it two miles to a restaurant by the airport to call for a cab. What a grand adventure! And Clearwater Beach was totally worth it - shared by one other couple and us. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Wait? Are you telling me we didn't have to take the bus to Clearwater Beach which required us walking through over hills, fields, and over roads? Then, when we waited for the departure time of the bus....well, the bus never showed so we hoofed it two miles to a restaurant by the airport to call for a cab. What a grand adventure! And Clearwater Beach was totally worth it - shared by one other couple and us. 

Yes, that is exactly what I am telling you. 😅

However, you would not have had your grand adventure had you taken the easier route.

• Haha 3

@graphicguy 2 questions:

1--port or aft to see Lady Liberty during sailaway?

2--Does Haven pool have a retractable roof? I have bid on Haven (not expecting to get it, but hey, always worth a try), and not sure how warm it will be on our cruise.

56 minutes ago, KKB said:

@graphicguy 2 questions:

1--port or aft to see Lady Liberty during sailaway?

2--Does Haven pool have a retractable roof? I have bid on Haven (not expecting to get it, but hey, always worth a try), and not sure how warm it will be on our cruise.

Lady Liberty is on the starboard side when sailing out of New York. We went all the way up to the top of the ship, in front, and could see both sides well.  The gate to that deck was originally closed when we checked around 2pm but was open during sailaway. It's my favorite sailaway view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, debenson0723 said:

Lady Liberty is on the starboard side when sailing out of New York. We went all the way up to the top of the ship, in front, and could see both sides well.  The gate to that deck was originally closed when we checked around 2pm but was open during sailaway. It's my favorite sailaway view.

Perfect—I created a sailaway party at Mojito bar on Waterfront 

• Like 1