Finger Lickin Good

Finger licking is not only on the buffet line, but at the tables also. 😉

It's hard to avoid. 

15 minutes ago, 555 said:

Finger licking is not only on the buffet line, but at the tables also. 😉

It's hard to avoid. 

Well, as long as they're not licking my fingers, they can do what they want at their own tables. 😝

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, 555 said:

We saw a teen kid drop a cookie one time & he picked it up only to throw it back on the tray. I told a crew member & they dumped the whole lot. 

I saw similar on Princess... someone dropped the serving spoon or tongs on the floor then put it back in the dish🙄  I told someone and they replace the whole pan of food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2024 at 3:03 PM, memoak said:

But they are not going to confront the offender any more than they will tell people to wash their hands

On RC they have sinks at the entry and have a hand washing czar to enforce it

3 hours ago, Maggie1080 said:

On RC they have sinks at the entry and have a hand washing czar to enforce it

I haven't been on an RC cruise ship in many years (before had washing was a thing).

Do they stop people from entering the buffet if they refuse to wash up or is it only a strong request?

What about the DR's. Do they have sinks there also or just assume you've washed up elsewhere?

20 minutes ago, 555 said:

I haven't been on an RC cruise ship in many years (before had washing was a thing).

Do they stop people from entering the buffet if they refuse to wash up or is it only a strong request?

What about the DR's. Do they have sinks there also or just assume you've washed up elsewhere?

Honestly, I never saw anybody refuse to wash their hands.... part of it may be bc they sing silly songs to encourage the hand washing

1 hour ago, Maggie1080 said:

Honestly, I never saw anybody refuse to wash their hands.... part of it may be bc they sing silly songs to encourage the hand washing

What about the DR? Did they install sinks as you enter?

4 minutes ago, Teechur said:

Presumably you will be the only one handling your utensils in the MDR, unlike the buffet.

Not if you sit at a large table. Butter dish, basket of rolls, salt & pepper shakers. 

23 minutes ago, memoak said:

There have always been hand sanitizers  at the MDR and specialty restaurants which most people ignore and no one makes them use them

We wash up in the cabin & stay clean before eating.

Lots of people just bypass the sanitizers in both the DR & buffet. 

4 minutes ago, 555 said:

Not if you sit at a large table. Butter dish, basket of rolls, salt & pepper shakers. 

We sit at a table for the four of us, but at a large table presumably 8-9 other people could touch the salt and pepper, as opposed to 1,000s touching utensils in the buffet. Everything in life has risk.

Ex: Typhoid Mary could be working in the kitchen. 🙀 😉

1 minute ago, Teechur said:

We sit at a table for the four of us, but at a large table presumably 8-9 other people could touch the salt and pepper, as opposed to 1,000s touching utensils in the buffet. Everything in life has risk.

Ex: Typhoid Mary could be working in the kitchen. 🙀 😉

That's way I gave up worrying about it. 

Just like Covid, if you're going to catch it, you will, mask or not.

On 5/12/2024 at 1:08 PM, Teechur said:

I agree with you, but often just use hand sanitizer when I sit down to eat. I also carry thin disposable gloves, but found they are not worth the hassle since I typically go back for something.

The only problem with that is that hand sanitizer is not effective for norovirus (and a few other icky GI things like C. Diff)

5 minutes ago, memoak said:
24 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

The only problem with that is that hand sanitizer is not effective for norovirus (and a few other icky GI things like C. Diff)

Better than nothing when there is not a sink available. 

Agreed, but the poster said they use hand sanitizer before they eat in the buffet rather than returning to the sink to wash their hands. I'm not sure they are aware that the sanitizer isn't effective against norovirus. 

15 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Agreed, but the poster said they use hand sanitizer before they eat in the buffet rather than returning to the sink to wash their hands. I'm not sure they are aware that the sanitizer isn't effective against norovirus. 

I would do both   We still carry sanitizer with us

Edited by memoak

Yes we have all seen people do stupid things in the buffet.  But i see that a lot on here say

that they are above eating in the buffet and that by eating in the dining room everything is fine.

Maybe overall it is more hygenic but i have also been seated in the dining room very close to people who are obviously sick with a cough or cold and unlike the buffet it is often very hard to just get up and move to another table....and i have no desire to sit next to them for a long drawn out two hour meal making it almost a sure thing that I will catch whatever they are hacking around.  Usually there is an outdoor seating area for the buffet that might offer a bit more space and protection.

Overall in spite of a few buffet problems i prefer it to the main dining room.  At least i can see the food in front of me and how it is handled and can usually easily move if i end up seated next to typhoid mary.

55 minutes ago, dockman said:

Usually there is an outdoor seating area for the buffet that might offer a bit more space and protection.

This is one big reason I would go to the buffet.  I guess it's a problem in bad weather, though.

• Like 1