Cruise out of Manhattan

11 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

We cruised the Venezia in October and flew in two days before, and picked JFK as it was the least expensive with flights that fit us best. We stayed at the comfort inn which was about a two minute walk to the ship. We were able to walk to Central Park and Times Square the day before and did a harbor lights cruise. We had never been to NYC before so did the touristy stuff. We took the carnival shuttle back got the airport after the cruise. It was a bit of a 💩 show at port as that poor bus driver was totally overwhelmed and had no one to help him, but we made it back just fine. We had a later flight. 

We are staying at the Comfort Inn as well.  Is it really only a 2-minute walk as well?  We will have my mother with us who has a bad knee and cannot walk very far.  We planned on using an Uber, but if it is that close walking may be doable, even with luggage.

On 5/13/2024 at 10:05 AM, jimbo5544 said:

One more thing, best sail away in the states.  Spectacular sites and photo ops.

Also the best skyline from an airplane window at dusk or dawn. Nothing else compares (at least in the US) to me. Breathtaking.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Jeafl said:

We are staying at the Comfort Inn as well.  Is it really only a 2-minute walk as well?  We will have my mother with us who has a bad knee and cannot walk very far.  We planned on using an Uber, but if it is that close walking may be doable, even with luggage.

The one on W 48th street. The Venezia was about 2 blocks away. Super close and easy to walk to. The hotel has very small rooms, but it is NYC. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jeafl said:

10 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

The one on W 48th street. The Venezia was about 2 blocks away. Super close and easy to walk to. The hotel has very small rooms, but it is NYC. 

It's called Comfort Inn Manhattan - Midtown West and is aways my choice when taking a cruise out of Manhattan.  I'd say about a five-minute walk if you have a wheeled carry-on and backpack.  But it's an easy, level walk in a safe part of town.  If you want to add some real value to your vacation that contrasts with the Caribbean, stay a couple nights and explore Times Square which is only a ten-minute brisk walk.  Lots of GREAT restaurants in the area.  So much to do in Manhattan, IMO NYC is the only city in USA that competes with great cities of the world like Paris, Rome, Shanghai, etc.  Every time I go I find I know less about it.  If you plan to do Times Square, make sure you visit at night when the lights are all on.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Jeafl said:

Two minutes is an exaggeration but it's certainly less than 10; literally a block and a half east of the terminal on 48th St.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone…I did book the cruise and we included the carnival ride from the airport (LGA)…and back after the cruise…I have been told it can be a bit of a mess but I shall cross my fingers…our return flight to Toronto doesn’t leave until 2:00..hopefully will be ok

• Like 4

1 hour ago, abby1257 said:

…our return flight to Toronto doesn’t leave until 2:00..hopefully will be ok

I think 2:00 should be good.  We joined the throng of disembarking passengers on the ship (priority disembarkation) at 9:00 a.m., we were in our limo by 9:30, and we were at JFK at 10:40 a.m.   Your trip to LGA should be comparable.  

We were too early to check in for our flight -- we were not allowed to proceed into the secured area (beyond the TSA checkpoint) and had to sit in the public area for a few hours.

On 5/13/2024 at 9:58 AM, meanjean80 said:

Hola!  As a New Yorker, I'd advise Laguardia.  They did a really good job renovating recently and it's a far nicer airport than it used to be.  I'd suggest getting a yellow cab at the airport if you have any kind of luggage (yellow cab will be cheaper than Uber or Lyft).

I have sailed out of NY 3 times since cruising restarted and from Boston fly into Laguardia and always taken Uber. Sounds like you are saying a yellow cab is cheaper. Is it a fixed rate from airport to cruise port?

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

We were too early to check in for our flight -- we were not allowed to proceed into the secured area (beyond the TSA checkpoint) and had to sit in the public area for a few hours.

That is why we try to be the last ones off the ship if we have a later flight. 

3 hours ago, odie1024 said:

I have sailed out of NY 3 times since cruising restarted and from Boston fly into Laguardia and always taken Uber. Sounds like you are saying a yellow cab is cheaper. Is it a fixed rate from airport to cruise port?

The fixed rate cab is from JFK into Manhattan, not LGA

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2024 at 7:52 PM, odie1024 said:

Fixed rate of $70 right now.  My experience of late is that the ubers depending on time of day and demand will come in over that.  A year ago they would not have.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

Personally, after taking the carnival bus from port to JFK, I would probably pay an extra few dollars and take a taxi back. It was a hot mess. 

Almost always that way at any home port.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Almost always that way at any home port.

We usually take the carnival shuttle and have never had issues but the Manhattan terminal no one, including the bus driver, knew what was going on. They never did take our tickets. 🤣

2 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

We usually take the carnival shuttle and have never had issues but the Manhattan terminal no one, including the bus driver, knew what was going on. They never did take our tickets. 🤣

My comment on the Carnival transfer had nothing to do with issues they have per se, but rather the timing.  You wait for a bus to be full (depending on what time you get off the ship), if early, no issues, later in the morning you can wait a while.  If time is on your side, then no issue at all.  Most often, they are usually more expensive, sometimes significantly so.  The only cheap way in NYC is if you have some pick you up….

So here's a little hint when disembarking.

If your plan is to grab a cab/Uber to get to the airport walk a couple blocks east to 10th Ave. It'll get you away from the madhouse on Hudson River Greenway and make the process go more smoothly. The problem with Pier 88 is that there literally isn't any room (and frankly can't be) just outside the doors. So simply cross the road and walk away from the crowds. That part of Manhattan is perfectly safe.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, jsglow said:

So here's a little hint when disembarking.

If your plan is to grab a cab/Uber to get to the airport walk a couple blocks east to 10th Ave. It'll get you away from the madhouse on Hudson River Greenway and make the process go more smoothly. The problem with Pier 88 is that there literally isn't any room (and frankly can't be) just outside the doors. So simply cross the road and walk away from the crowds. That part of Manhattan is perfectly safe.

I think this is what we are going to do.