Just received this...

Posted (edited)

We are approaching the end of our Pursuit expedition.  This letter was left on our bed tonight as it was to all departing guests.  Personally I do not think this solicitation is appropriate.  SB advertises tipping is neither required nor expected.  This letter clouds the issue IMO.

IMG_8375.thumb.jpeg.1983e4bb26f6b6ee1594d3f3e5c5fce2.jpeg

Edited by texanaust
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, texanaust said:

We are approaching the end of our Pursuit expedition.  This letter was left on our bed tonight as it was to all departing guests.  Personally I do not think this solicitation is appropriate.  SB advertises tipping is neither required nor expected.  This letter clouds the issue IMO.

IMG_8375.thumb.jpeg.1983e4bb26f6b6ee1594d3f3e5c5fce2.jpeg

Totally agree and totally at odds with SB's frequent marketing (as though yet another SB product benefit) that 'gratuities are neither required nor expected'. That this 'initiative' appears permitted by on-board management (it's on SB letterhead for goodness sakes) and blatantly contradicts a SB notable marketing promise may highlight deeper problems with this cruise line that I have observed in other areas of SB product delivery. 

• Like 1

I agree that letter is inappropriate.  We have contributed to the crew fund ever since we found out about it before our 3rd Seabourn cruise - from posts on this board - but NEVER in 20 cruises received any thing like the OP did.  We have many letters thanking us for contributing and personal thanks from various crew but it was always something discreet.  Also have contributed on Regent and Scenic (where I was told I didn't need to but they totally appreciated that we knew we could)

• Like 2

texanaust … Interesting post. I agree on Seabourn Letterhead this pushes the offensive line, but I wonder:

Pursuit is a new ship, likely not attracting experienced “seabourners”. Maybe their crew fund is light and they are seeing a high preponderance of American clientele handshaking unruly amounts of cash to individual crew.  I hesitate to identify American clients, but face it “youse” guys are over the top on your tipping.

Maybe they are simply saying there is a better way, so that all crew get a chunk???

Feel free to castigate me now, let’er rip!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Clearly they violated the first rule of Crew Welfare Fund: You don't talk about Crew Welfare Fund.

Is this folly and farce? Crew Welfare Fund officially exists but it's untoward to officially speak of Crew Welfare Fund unless spoken to by a passenger who knows Crew Welfare Fund exists. "Tipping is neither required nor expected," but "you can show your further appreciation for the team by [tipping] the Crew Welfare Fund." Seabourn's goal is to "deliver the most luxurious experiences" but Seabourn "does not prioritize food on its Expedition cruises."

Or is this a promise delivered: A voyage "filled with unforgettable Seabourn Moments and memories"?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Robisan said:

Clearly they violated the first rule of Crew Welfare Fund: You don't talk about Crew Welfare Fund.

I agree.  Silversea pulled the same stunt a few months ago on one of their ships and even had the gall to suggest daily amounts.  

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, kej1 said:

Hmm, I’m on the ship and leaving tomorrow and did not receive.  But was planning to contribute.

I wonder why you didn't get it but texanaust did? I agree the letter isn't great but since I always contribute to the fund as opposed to tipping everyone who serves me I would just ignore it.

We contribute part way through the cruise rather than the end because some of the great crew who served us might leave at the same time we do so not benefit from any special event put on.

On our last couple of cruises we have noticed a lot more overt tipping to bar and wait staff. You couldn't miss it as they weren't discrete. I feel it has lead to some staff hovering waiting to be tipped and I for one as an Australian find this uncomfortable. So maybe as @Cantara24 suggested it is a nudge to people to contribute to the crew fund that supports all staff rather than individuals.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

We recently concluded a cruise on the Venture and received the same written message. We were surprised to receive it, as we’ve sailed many times on Seabourn (including a previous voyage on the Venture) and never received such a message in the past. 

We’ve always made a point of contributing to the crew welfare fund. We like that all of the staff share in the fund, not just the front-of-house personnel. 

Perhaps instances of overt tipping of front-of-house staff prompted management to send the written message?

Nonetheless, I found the written reminder on our bed unsubtle. I think a mention in the Herald would have been better calculated to inform about the fund’s existence without appearing to suggest that a donation was expected. 

Edited by DC Traveler244
Typo
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

I wonder why you didn't get it but texanaust did? I agree the letter isn't great but since I always contribute to the fund as opposed to tipping everyone who serves me I would just ignore it.

We contribute part way through the cruise rather than the end because some of the great crew who served us might leave at the same time we do so not benefit from any special event put on.

On our last couple of cruises we have noticed a lot more overt tipping to bar and wait staff. You couldn't miss it as they weren't discrete. I feel it has lead to some staff hovering waiting to be tipped and I for one as an Australian find this uncomfortable. So maybe as @Cantara24 suggested it is a nudge to people to contribute to the crew fund that supports all staff rather than individuals.

While we always since #3 of now 20 Seabourn cruises contribute to the crew fund, and usually the last day as we don't want any special attention for our donation, if I got that letter I might think twice. Tacky IMO is this the new Seabourn?

51 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:

While we always since #3 of now 20 Seabourn cruises contribute to the crew fund, and usually the last day as we don't want any special attention for our donation, if I got that letter I might think twice. Tacky IMO is this the new Seabourn?

Oh we don't do it to get special attention and actually tell them that when donating.

We used to donate last day but then found out some of our favourite crew were also going home at the same time. Having been on a cruise where they had held special dinners for the crew from the crew fund I didn't want our favourites to miss out.

Just now, frantic36 said:

Oh we don't do it to get special attention and actually tell them that when donating.

We used to donate last day but then found out some of our favourite crew were also going home at the same time. Having been on a cruise where they had held special dinners for the crew from the crew fund I didn't want our favourites to miss out.

Was not critical of you Julie nor your reasons.  I understand your rationale for the timing of your crew fund donation.

Cheers,

Ed

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Ed, I knew you weren't but for people that don't know me I just wanted to be clear we do things on the "down low".

I'll let you know if we get the same letter on our upcoming Pursuit cruise. Though you know I will also say something to the HD about my disapproval if it occurs while onboard. I would be curious to find out their reasons why they thought this was a good idea.🤔

Edited by frantic36

9 hours ago, frantic36 said:

We always try to donate to the crew fund at the beginning for the same reasons.

15 hours ago, Cantara24 said:

I hesitate to identify American clients, but face it “youse” guys are over the top on your tipping.

On our Kimberly cruise last year we found out that we were the only ones onboard that donated to the crew fund. So "usguys" doubled down. So many thanked us for the amazing BBQ they had.  It does beg the question - "why aren't crew given BBQ's without the crew fund"?

I do agree that tipping solicitations  are of control. Not just in the U.S. but almost everywhere we have traveled in the last few years. European, South African hotels soliciting staff tips at check out? What's up with that?  Haven't had that in the U.S. yet. South Pacific and Australia were the exceptions.

16 hours ago, Cantara24 said:

I hesitate to identify American clients, but face it “youse” guys are over the top on your tipping.

No kidding - guilty as charged.  Not only do we tip individuals who have done a great job (probably just what they are required to do) we also give to the CWF.  One of the reasons I love travelling in Japan is due to "no tipping".  It is so nice to not have to think about it and how much and blah blah blah.  And.................nobody even likes handling nasty old paper money anymore.

We received the note on Pursuit in March and also previously - I’m thinking Odyssey last year. I do not have a problem with it. Australians here also.

The tipping on Seabourn in recent times has become quite overt - no attempt to keep it low key. Of course then it starts to become a topic of conversation - errk! Staff get embarrassed as well when their colleagues miss out. At least this is an attempt to remind people that someone washes the dishes, compacts the rubbish and maintains the engines.

We have been cruising with Seabourn for 20 years and only found out about the crew welfare fund, I’d say about seven or eight years ago. We have paid into similar funds on other ships and had made enquiries but were told there wasn’t one. We didn’t tip as per the expectations but did contribute as soon as we found out about the fund.

There are a lot of people new to Seabourn doing the expedition ships in particular who are not familiar with the expectations. For this reason, I merely think they were trying to point in the right direction not solicit.

Good on those nations taking active measures to prevent it such as Japan and many South Sea island countries.

• Like 1

We did not receive the letter but did tip the crew fund and received a nice letter from mgmt thanking us.  We are still on the ship, getting off soon.

2 hours ago, kej1 said:

We did not receive the letter but did tip the crew fund and received a nice letter from mgmt thanking us.  We are still on the ship, getting off soon.

Enjoy your last day and safe travels home. Thank you for all the details you have shared. 

Oh and don't do a Keith Moon(Who) and trash your suite as you leave as I'm looking forward to being their soon 😁.

• Haha 3

I don't disagree with the principle of the note, but it could have been much better worded, ideally implying that individual tipping was not encouraged but donations to the crew fund were a  good way of saying thank you.  I always thought it a good idea to do it about half way or more through the cruise, so as not to look as you were hoping for special treatment, and it was certainly acknowledged and appreciated.

• Like 4

Received a similar letter on Venture in April.  In addition, it said do not tip individuals.  It was worded much more eloquently but I understood what they were saying 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I do tip and contribute to the crew fund== not get get an extra ice cube in my drink or an extra wash cloth in my room- but rather my way of showing appreciation.

IMO it isn't a right or wrong thing to do, but rather doing what  makes me feel good.

Edited by Utopia1
grammar mistake

Any letter sent to the suite should be properly signed by a real person.  This letter was signed by “the team”, which IMO is inappropriate and a cop out. It should be signed by the GM (or other officer) so that if I have a concern or question re the letter then I know to whom I should speak.  And yes, I do think it’s tacky to leave a letter like this on a bed, on the last night of your cruise, soliciting for donations to the crew fund.  Regular cruisers know there is a crew fund, and if unsure then just ask at reception if you wish to know how to acknowledge the crew.  

• Like 1