Yet another Explora 1 review!

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

HappyInVan was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I was adventurous enough to sail on Explora 1 to LA after recently returning from YC on the Meravilgia.

I'm pleased to report that after just a year, this ship is functioning well. My conclusion is that Explora offers mid luxury quality at entry level prices.

The ship is mid-sized and an easy walk from bow to stern. The ambiance is clean and somber. Decorated with vases and art for eye relief. Any regular patron of an executive hotel would be comfortable here.

That's a good thing! MSC didn't waste resources on building 6-star palaces-at-sea. It invested in Content.

At half ship capacity, my elevator experience (fast and smooth) was excellent.

The ship has three pools (forward, mid, and aft). The Discovery pool has the retractable roof. The aft Astern pool is an infinity pool. Whirlpools are found near each pool. Some might like (or not) the narrow rectangular design of the Discovery whirlpools.

The ship has the nice Explora Lounge (Deck 11 forward) with the big view. I was pleased that the front of the Lounge had a transparent roof. Creating a solarium effect.

One positive feature for younger pax is the outdoor exercise machines on Deck 12.

There is the open starboard patio outside the Crema Lounge (7am- 7pm). Complimentary launderettes are midship Decks 9 &10.

There is a design mistake on Deck 4&5. We were wandering around looking for the public washrooms. Unfortunately, the washrooms were so discrete that they were invisible to the uninitiated. There were no visible doorways or doornobs. The entrance was through flush sliding black doors activated by hand sensors. The eye naturally looks away from negative (dark) spaces. Look for the lighted sensors situated at waist level.

Explora  lobby DSC_8017.jpg

Explora  lobby DSC_8055.jpg

Explora  lobbyDSC_8054 lobby.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

My room (OT1) was compact and functional with a small balcony. The bathroom is comfortable with a large shower stall. Shower controls clearly marked. One nice feature is the ledge on which a pax can sit and wash themselves.

The ship provides aromatic liquid soap and lotion branded as Mandala blue. A smart Dyson hairdryer is located in the drawer of the makeup table. 

Unfortunately, not every suite was usable. I was booked into 6016 and it made a tremendous amount of noise in rough seas. Creaks and groans. My Suite Host ( steward) suggested that this was normal.

I waited until the weather calmed, and discovered that the room still creaked and squeaked. Complained to Guest Services and was moved. Quiet!

IMO the problem lies with the excessive use of decorative ceiling panels. Some of the work must have been faulty. In fact, the room door of 6016 was misaligned.

For comparison, I was tossed about on Deck 18 bow of the Meraviglia and my room did not make anywhere the same amount of noise.

At 4am, I woke up to the sound of glass clinking. Switched on the light. Three one-liter glass bottles were dancing across my cabinet and colliding with each other. That was how unsettled it was on the Meraviglia.

Photos below show the decorative panels on the ceiling of my Explora

suite and the Crema Cafe.

Explora 6016 ceiling.jpg

Explora Crema Lounge.jpg

Explorer 1 Ocean Terrace.jpg

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

My room (OT1) was compact and functional with a small balcony. The bathroom is comfortable with a large shower stall. Shower controls clearly marked. One nice feature is the ledge on which a pax can sit and wash themselves.

The ship provides aromatic liquid soap and lotion branded as Mandala blue. A smart Dyson hairdryer is located in the drawer of the makeup table. 

Unfortunately, not every suite was usable. I was booked into 6016 and it made a tremendous amount of noise in rough seas. Creaks and groans. My Suite Host ( steward) suggested that this was normal.

I waited until the weather calmed, and discovered that the room still creaked and squeaked. Complained to Guest Services and was moved. Quiet!

IMO the problem lies with the excessive use of decorative ceiling panels. Some of the work must have been faulty. In fact, the room door of 6016 was misaligned.

For comparison, I was tossed about on Deck 18 bow of the Meraviglia and my room did not make anywhere the same amount of noise.

At 4am, I woke up to the sound of glass clinking. Switched on the light. Three one-liter glass bottles were dancing across my cabinet and colliding with each other. That was how unsettled it was on the Meraviglia.

Photos below show the decorative panels on the ceiling of my Explora

suite and the Crema Cafe.

Explora 6016 ceiling.jpg

Explora Crema Lounge.jpg

Explorer 1 Ocean Terrace.jpg

Great photos! 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

What cabin did they move you to and is it quiet? Interested for future cruise.

I moved to 6042. Just an occasional squeak  as the ship rocked. Both cabins are midship.

Below are three photos. The TV has one nice feature. The talks delivered in the Journey's Lounge were recorded and can be viewed again on the TV. At the end of the cabinet were a pair of Steiner mini binoculars. Unfortunately only sharp at the center.

Under the TV was a tray with 2 glass bottles, closed with plastic lids. Could not unscrew the lids. After 2 days, the Suite Host had not wondered why the bottles were unused. So, I got hold of her. She hinted "I run it under hot water". 

That was not the right reply!!!

My guess is that the bottles and lids are cleaned under high temperatures. Someone filled the bottle and closed the lid without allowing the lid to cool. It should be a known problem. 🙄

On embarkation day, a plate of candy has been left for me. Just 4 pieces. After that, did not receive any other eats. I suppose that I could have asked. But, I waited to see if the crew had any initiative.😒

A lot of work still needs to be done on the crew. I would recommend that you contact your steward from time to time, to maintain focus on you. Your phone has a speed dial programmed for your steward, who will answer on their communicator. 

Explora DSC_7989 6016.jpg

Explora DSC_7990 6016.jpg

Explora DSC_7991 6016.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

A lot of work still needs to be done on the crew. I would recommend that you contact your steward from time to time, to maintain focus on you. Your phone has a speed dial programmed for your steward, who will answer on their communicator. 

We were on the same sailing, and thought that the crew was top notch.  Everyone was so friendly and willing to serve. Really great teamwork.  We were addressed by name multiple times, even on such a short 6 night segment.  We generally sail on Regent, and I'd say that this particular Explora crew rivaled Regent in that regard.  However, I recognize that even on the same cruise, some guests experiences will be different.

We spoke with several crew who were preparing to rotate to the new Explora 2 after a short break back home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The core of a luxury experience is the people who serve you.

Anyone can invest heavily in a palace hotel and hire a multitude of employees. To stand around and smile at you. On the other hand, a valuable helper is a wonderful thing.

On Explora 1, many of the hotel staff have gotten the memo. They treat pax as worthy of respect and attention. However, hotel management faces a grueling and continuous program of recruitment, training and retention. Of helping employees be the best that they can be.

The job is particularly difficult because Explora is a new enterprise with high standards. Staff is international and comes from many sources with their own experiences and assumptions.

Some are ex-Regent and others ex-RCL. I'm told that half the staff have never been on a cruise ship!

Over the next two years, management has to finalize a culture of service at a very high level. Not easy when turnover is high in the cruise industry, and 5 more Explora ships will be operational.

What about the employee's POV? Clearly, many are excited by the glamor and the prospect of promotions. However, they can see the high vacancy rate. Feel doubt and fear about their future.

Doubt and uncertainty creates apathy and defensive behavior. Not the best basis for operations.

At this point, management has to become cheerleaders and create confidence. The employees may not know where their journey will end. But, they must feel confident about following their officers.

Explora 1 is a work in progress. It is no way close to its pinnacle.

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You're missing a couple of pools.  There's one on deck 10 aft which is deeper than the forward or deck 5 aft pool, and a balneotherapy pool in the deck 5 forward spa.  We were pretty much 2 decks right above your initial cabin and had no noise issues. Poor cabin finish and fitting, I wager.

The panel above the bed is, I wager, something to diffuse a/c flow so it doesn't blow directly on one.

I agree that staff need a lot more training.

• Thanks 1

IMHO, food quality was outstanding. In the Emporio Marketplace buffet, I could put together several restaurant quality meals. The cook-to-order stations provided delicious quality meats and fish (Fruits of the Ocean); salmon, shrimp, burgers and even the chicken Yakitori.

One caveat, the cook-to-order dishes require time to cook on the grill. So, the waiting time may become problematic during peak period on a crowded ship.

The Ocean Pearls seafood bar had Oysters in the shell, as well as delicious crab ceviche etc.

The Sushi station provided plain traditional sushi, not fusion. Nothing fancy here.

I would avoid the pre-cooked stuff like steam vegetables and the ‘curries’.

Cannot praise enough the ship's confectionery and sweets. The Gelato bar (by the Discovery Pool) has very tasty ice cream.

Three restaurants require reservations. The Marble focused on meat, and the fillet mignon (165gm) was thoroughly enjoyable (medium and red). Though I felt that there was too much salt; particularly in the Bearnaise sauce.

I was disappointed In the Sakura. East and West are far apart. Fusion can be a revelation. Or. It can mean anything or nothing.

IMO the crab tempura was perfect. Just the right amount of batter and crispy. The slow-cook short rib was nice. The ‘Panang’ (mild Thai curry) part of the dish turned out to be too subtle for me. Where's the spicy stuff?

I did suggest to F&B that the Sakura could include a small selection of high quality 'authentic' Asian foods.

We paid E190 for the Anthology 7-course tasting menu. I did not receive the grand voyage to match the hype. Everything was well done to a high quality. But, it was not a memorable meal despite the frequent use of truffle and caviar in the appetizers.

I was surprised to discover that the main course ‘farm raised chicken breast, duck fois gras’ was actually duck liver wrapped in a thin ring of chicken. Not chicken breast stuffed with liver!

As such, the pate should have been an appetizer, not the main course

There were only three choices. The Japanese Wagyu turned out to be two small cubes of meat swimming in a dark sauce. The last choice was vegetarian.

Caveat emptor.

Photos of the Anthology menu and of the Emporio buffet...

Anthology.JPG

Emporio Marketplace dessert.jpg

Emporio Marketplace Ocean Pearls.jpg

• Like 1

Entertainment was adequate, but nowhere close to that on the Meraviglia. The lobby bar had a piano served alternately by a classic pianist (Nathalia) and a blues singer (Nathalie). The Explora Lounge (deck 11) alternated with the pianist Nathalia and the guitarist singer Lissette. The Astern Lounge hosted the guitar duo Josh and Rafael.

There were the usual round of talks and class activities. Willie Aames delivered educational and passionate speeches. Overall, the ship's atmosphere was low key. Often, as I wandered around, I found myself wondering where everyone was.

The evening excitement was provided in the Journey's Lounge (all-tables theatre). The show (6 musicians and 2 singers Nik and Lydia) were competent, but did not IMHO achieve the wow factor. Flutist Gary Arbothnot provided a separate high-energy show

Journeys Lounge Broadway Nik Lydia.jpg

Journeys Lounge.jpg

Journeys Lounge Gary Arbuthnot.jpg

Journeys Lounge Willie DSC_8124.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I think everything that I have experienced has been wonderful, including the medical team and I look forward to joining everyone else in four days time.

• Like 4

Agree that Explora can work on the entertainment, though you really can't compare the entertainment capabilities on a behemoth like Meraviglia to the modest sized Explora.  BTW, @HappyInVanwere you in Yacht Club on Meraviglia?

Great pictures!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

BTW, @HappyInVanwere you in Yacht Club on Meraviglia?

Great pictures!

Thanks. Yes, in YC right behind the restaurant.

Anyone else like to add something? I'll be finishing up tomorrow.

Wifi was excellent on this voyage. The interactive TV had a small number of older movies. Functionality was limited. The daily program etc was available on the Explora app.

I was pleased to note that the muster drill was simple and convenient. Watch the safety video on embarkation, and call the number. That unlocks the TV. Then, log in at your muster station. No crowds here.

The pax were mainly middle class with a mix of ages. Some Brits and Europeans, as well as from Quebec, I was surprised to see the number of younger people you would expect on NCL etc. Turned out that there was a multitude of influencers and TA onboard.

I was really pleased (with a few exceptions) with the food experience (as others have noted). The Fil Rouge is my favourite breakfast venue on any ship. There's grilled minute steak and lamb chops. The Fil Rouge Signature dish is a delicious experience.

They don't mess around with portions. Ask for ham and salmon and they deliver plates of the meat. Not just add a couple of slices to the eggs.

Fil Rouge breakfast menu.jpg

Fil Rouge breakfast.jpg

Fils Rouge breakfast DSC_8129.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2024 at 6:45 PM, HappyInVan said:

I moved to 6042. Just an occasional squeak  as the ship rocked. Both cabins are midship.

Below are three photos. The TV has one nice feature. The talks delivered in the Journey's Lounge were recorded and can be viewed again on the TV. At the end of the cabinet were a pair of Steiner mini binoculars. Unfortunately only sharp at the center.

Under the TV was a tray with 2 glass bottles, closed with plastic lids. Could not unscrew the lids. After 2 days, the Suite Host had not wondered why the bottles were unused. So, I got hold of her. She hinted "I run it under hot water". 

That was not the right reply!!!

My guess is that the bottles and lids are cleaned under high temperatures. Someone filled the bottle and closed the lid without allowing the lid to cool. It should be a known problem. 🙄

On embarkation day, a plate of candy has been left for me. Just 4 pieces. After that, did not receive any other eats. I suppose that I could have asked. But, I waited to see if the crew had any initiative.😒

Explora DSC_7989 6016.jpg

Explora DSC_7990 6016.jpg

Explora DSC_7991 6016.jpg

even in a big penthouse you do not receive anything more  , not even an apple or some grapes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whither Explora? MSC is ambitious. Committed to 6 Explora ships by 2028. Intending to quickly seize a chunk of the $$$$ market and capitalize on economies of scale. That also means that Explora has to find the quality hotel staff and entertainers to crew the ships.

By comparison, Ritz Carlton will have 3. SilverSea has 9. Seabourne has 7. Regent has 6.

With just one ship in operation, Explora has had a soft launch. Even so, why are there so few paying pax? Isn't great food and service enough?

I can eat well in my hometown almost any day of the week. At the Mandarin or Shangrila hotels, they're treat me like a lord. So, why Explora?

Explora will source customers from other luxury brands, or create new customers to the luxury cruise industry.

A number of disaffected customers have switched to Explora. “So much better than Regent etc”. But, that's not enough. Explora will have to pull satisfied customers from the other brands.

It may be difficult for veteran customers to switch unless their friends switch too. At this time, Explora isn't encouraging group bookings of more than 8. And, loyalty programs do matter. There are discounts and benefits. I was status matched to Diamond by MSC before my first cruise.

Celebrity guests and performers would get their attention. Willie Aames tells great stories but he's not a celebrity today. How much would Explora have to invest in Content?

Influencers are widely used in the hospitality industry to draw new customers. Is there enough fun on Explora for the younger people? Is Michael Langley (Entertainment Manager) the right person to make Explora a social mecca. Who's the Cruise Director?

You can go a long way by throwing money at a project. But, Explora is at the start of an uphill climb to build the right scripts, culture, and pax mix,

These are strategic marketing decisions that face the management team. IMHO, Explora will still be turning a significant loss in 2026. Expect several changes in the management team at corporate HQ. And, pax need to be patient and wary as Explora finds its way.

As a matter of fact, Captain Diego Michelozzi (at the Q/A) said that Explorer 3 would be 40' longer with fewer cabins. As has been noted here, the suites have disappointed. Certainly, my OT cabin could be sexier.

I spoke to someone at the Future Journeys desk. Mentioned that they shouldn't drop their prices because of the low occupancy rate. She hinted that they should raise prices!

Personally, I felt that I received value for my money. But, I sail for the destinations and will wait for more itineraries. In particular, more sailings from the West Coast. Next year, I will be sailing another 40 nights, and Explora is a low priority.

Explora DSC_8395 Capt Delgado.JPG

San Fran DSC_8314 Heike.jpg

Journeys Lounge Michael Langly DSC_8084.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In another topic " EJ sets sights on luxury dominance" , I wrote down 12  items going wrong on EJ 

Signor Vago should consider to go on a cruise  - a few days -  on a Hapag Lloyd , A Ritz C , a Regent   and despite my last Silversea was bad  a SS as well so he eventually can see the wine list of SS. 😁 and the non usury prices of the special wines...contrarely to those on EJ and a Crystal as well for the great choice in the bars and the great knowledge of the C bartenders !!

Instead  of starting from the point " we do know everything" 

I am not going on a cruise to eat better breads , croissants and pastries only  and to drink a lot of Champagne because the complimentary wines are bad ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the award "Great Review for a post" 😃

Lets not forget about the destination! I was surprised that Astoria (on the mighty Columbia River) was so picturesque. Its a working city, and hosts few cruise ships. The visit starts with the very friendly volunteers of the Astoria Cruise program. Then, the double decker shuttle into the historic downtown. The older buildings and bright colors, food trucks and quiet streets. The old-time city hall and the nearby park. Try the ice cream at Schwietert's Cones & Candy.

Astoria  DSC_8146.jpg

Astoria DSC_8212.jpg

Astoria DSC_8213.jpg

Astoria DSC_8220.jpg

Astoria DSC_8229.jpg

• Like 1

San Francisco Bay is always picturesque, particularly with a little fog. There was a nice ride on a fast SF Bay Ferry to Richmond. In the channel, there were diving pelicans, swooping terns and annoying gulls. Even a flock of stocks on a clump of trees on a sandbar. Unfortunately, the Embarcadero is so touristy that I finished ASAP and returned to the ship (Pier 27) for lunch.

In San Pedro's World Cruise Center, we docked at Berth 93 overlooking the Catalina Ferry terminal. After fond farewells, quick disembarkation at 9am. Nine of us rode in a coach bus (E80 each) to LAX. Adios!

DSC_8259.jpg

DSC_8274.jpg

DSC_8303.jpg

DSC_8324.jpg

DSC_8326.jpg