New Caledonia locked down.

5 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-17/new-caledonia-la-tontouta-international-airport-reopens/103985048

It will be a while before things get back to normal.  Can't see cruising stops resuming anytime soon.

It could be years. The trigger for the violence hasn't been resolved, just deferred.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that link @Mycruiseobsession. It was an interesting read. Our cruise is still scheduled for 2 stops in New Caledonia. We decided as soon as the news of riots and death broke, that we would stay on the ship for those stops. There is nothing in the article to suggest we will change our mind by April next year. I suspect the itinerary for our cruise may well skip New Caledonia altogether.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for that link @Mycruiseobsession. It was an interesting read. Our cruise is still scheduled for 2 stops in New Caledonia. We decided as soon as the news of riots and death broke, that we would stay on the ship for those stops. There is nothing in the article to suggest we will change our mind by April next year. I suspect the itinerary for our cruise may well skip New Caledonia altogether.

P&O still have excursions in New Caledonia listed on cruise control for our December cruise, but I very much doubt the ship will be visiting the area.

• Like 1

These people are only hurting themselves. Tourists will find other places to visit. If the "islanders" want to make a point to the French, protests should be staged in France.

I hear that there are a few international events going on/coming up that would certainly grab the attention of the French and rest of the world. 

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

As long as Smartraveller is in the orange no Australian cruises will dock there. There's  no way to covered for holiday travel insurance with that kind of warning.

Screenshot_20240701_102320_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1955ea12521bfcdf6c8ca379cb159811.jpg

Link:

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/pacific/new-caledonia

Too late to edit above but some travel insurance  companies  MAY still cover - I am just going by the one's I use.

Essential travel in my mind [Must take a cruise] is not necessarily  what insurers believe to be essential 😁

Screenshot_20240701_123642_Chrome.thumb.jpg.490dd80f06e9a46932b63481f4ab6caa.jpg

Edited by Mycruiseobsession
  • Haha 1

'Do Not Travel' is one up from 'Reconsider Your Need To Travel' on Smarttraveller.  It is mostly places where there is an active war occurring, like Ukraine.

'Reconsider' is less urgent, but still pretty scary to consider visiting. Egypt is currently on the 'Reconsider' list, because of its proximity to Gaza and Israel.

I'd be surprised if you could get travel insurance for either category, though I'm not sure what happens if you took out the travel insurance before the warning level was lifted higher.