Bon voyage gift - lanyards?

Hello! I I haven’t cruised for about six years. Do cruisers still use lanyards or does the phone app replace the need for one? For a bon voyage gift I was thinking about fancy lanyards and a magnetic photo frame with our friends pet to hang on the door. Other suggestions? Country trading pins?  Many thanks for information and suggestions.

Some use lanyards, others don’t.  My card always goes in a pocket.  Country trading pins?  Never heard of doing that on a cruise.  In fact, have t heard of that in many years.  Not all doors are magnetic.  Depends on the cruise line and ship.  Perhaps you should ask on the board here for the line you are sailing.  EM

31 minutes ago, Stargazer24 said:

Hello! I I haven’t cruised for about six years.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I think most cruise ship doors are magnetic... I personally am wearing leggings with thigh pockets almost all of the time, but before they became available I would use a lanyard for EITHER the key-card OR my phone -- had experience with the phone zeroing out the card if both around the neck!

This is just a very personal opinion.  I don't use a lanyard but if I did I think that fancy lanyards are a waste of money.  As for customizing the outside of my door - I think that this is just plain silly.  My point is that do you think that your friend wants either of these items.  A better idea would be to buy them some on board credit so that they could buy something that they really want on the ship.

DON

• Like 3

9 hours ago, donaldsc said:

This is just a very personal opinion.  I don't use a lanyard but if I did I think that fancy lanyards are a waste of money.  As for customizing the outside of my door - I think that this is just plain silly.  My point is that do you think that your friend wants either of these items.  A better idea would be to buy them some on board credit so that they could buy something that they really want on the ship.

DON

Thanks all for the replies. Going with Don's idea about buying an onboard credit. Figured out how to do this with a Princess e-card. Great suggestion! Thanks Don! I'm sure my friend will get good use out of it on a 2 week cruise.

• Like 1