Insurance For Missing Ship in Port

Posted (edited)

We are doing a private excursion thru Adventure Antigua. They have been in business for many years and have a great reputation. The cruise ship doesn’t offer any excursions similar to this one. I’m not going outside of the cruise line to save money, it’s actually a very expensive excursion. I’ve always thought travel insurance would cover missing the ship, not that I plan to but something could happen. Recently on a podcast, they had an insurance rep on there who explained that missing the ship from a private excursion would usually not be covered. I was surprised. I checked with the carrier I bought our policy from and was told not covered. Are there any policies that cover this? 

Edited by Willwork4cruises
Add more info

Posted (edited)

Would be very surprised if any insurance covered this.  

too many variables including where is the next port.  

the cost to get you to the next port could be quite high. 

Edited by CDNPolar

I would suggest reading the exact wording in the 'trip interruption' section of your policy.

On mine there is some coverage for failures of 'common carrier' transportation - but nothing I would interpret as coverage for returning late to the ship.

5 hours ago, Willwork4cruises said:

We are doing a private excursion thru Adventure Antigua. They have been in business for many years and have a great reputation. The cruise ship doesn’t offer any excursions similar to this one. I’m not going outside of the cruise line to save money, it’s actually a very expensive excursion. I’ve always thought travel insurance would cover missing the ship, not that I plan to but something could happen. Recently on a podcast, they had an insurance rep on there who explained that missing the ship from a private excursion would usually not be covered. I was surprised. I checked with the carrier I bought our policy from and was told not covered. Are there any policies that cover this? 

Hi Willwork4cruises,

Which policy did you buy?

Steve Dasseos