Galley to Table: Kitchen Tour & Lunch (Solstice)

Posted (edited)

Hello! 

My husband and I have booked an Alaskan cruise on the Solstice and noticed a sea day culinary tour called "Galley to Table: Kitchen Tour & Lunch". 

I haven't read any reviews about this "excursion" and wondered if anyone has experienced it. The description implies that in addition to touring the MDR galley, guests will tour the specialty restaurant kitchens with tastings of unique dishes from each. Sounds like a progressive lunch perhaps? 

It very well could be a new thing. Either way if anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated! The price is reasonable at $69 per person (Canadian) or around $50 USD. I guess I'm mostly curious about the menu as I can't partake of much seafood or shellfish, unfortunately. I suppose we could book the tour, ask about the menu once on board and then decide whether to cancel or not...

Thanks as always for your input Cruise Critics! 🙂

Edited by BeachTunes

2 minutes ago, BeachTunes said:

Hello! 

My husband and I have booked an Alaskan cruise on the Solstice and noticed a sea day culinary tour called "Galley to Table: Kitchen Tour & Lunch". 

I haven't read much about this "excursion" and wondered if anyone has experienced it. The description implies that in addition to touring the MDR galley, guests will tour the specialty restaurant kitchens with tastings of unique dishes from each. Sounds like a progressive lunch perhaps? 

It very well could be a new thing. Either way if anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated! The price is reasonable at $69 per person (Canadian) or around $50 USD. I guess I'm mostly curious about the menu as I can't partake of much seafood or shellfish, unfortunately. I suppose we could book the tour, ask about the menu once on board and then decide whether to cancel or not...

Thanks as always for your input Cruise Critics! 🙂

I’ve not done it, but just be aware that any excursion must be cancelled no later than 48 hours or you will still be charged 

Just now, Liao said:

I’ve not done it, but just be aware that any excursion must be cancelled no later than 48 hours or you will still be charged 

Thank you Liao! That's a good point! If we book it, we will select our last sea day to give us time to cancel if desired. 🙂

• Like 1

Replying to my own question here... LOL! 

I did a search and see that this tour has been asked about twice recently between March and April without any input. So I'm assuming it's a newer on board offering along with the Argentinian steak classes and the like. I'll be patient and wait for feedback when more people take part. 

And of course if we do book it, I'll share my thoughts about it post cruise! 🙂

• Like 4

I'm curious about this as well.  When you read the tour description, it doesn't mention any tastings/lunch, which is odd since the name of the tour states "& Lunch".  This is what kept me from booking - if there's no lunch included, it's really just a glorified galley tour.  Hopefully if others do this, they will chime in here at some point.

• Like 1

It's definately new (I asked about it a few months ago), they had it on our Beyond cruise 2 weeks ago. It sold out everyday they offered it. I didn't enquire about it, because they use to offer this tour for free (without the lunch) listed as "Heartbeat of the operation", the free tour is no longer offered. Suprising as it use to attract hundreds of guests - I guess its all a money grab. I use to go on the tour everytime it was offered, and they were still running it last year, but unfortunately not this year.

• Like 1

we just booked the Galley to Table tour and lunch for our final sea day. It does include lunch as described in the verbiage:

What's Included

• Guest will be able to Indulge in a delectable special lunch crafted by our talented chefs, featuring signature dishes exclusive to this experience Important
  • Like 2

I've booked this Galley to Table "excursion" on the Equinox TA this fall. I expect the specialty "lunch experience" will add variety and spice to a seaday. Price is reasonable at $41 during the current "flash" sale.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

FYI, there is a recent video review of Solstice on YouTube and the vloggers mentioned this tour. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link. They personally didn't recommend it as they couldn't hear the chef as he wasn't microphoned. They did reveal that the lunch was held in Blu and Beef Cheek was on the menu. 

As per @Eggs2Go comment, I'm seeing it as something interesting to do to add spice on a sea day! Staying tuned on this! As long as future reviews share that the experience isn't too crowded I'm in. We're in Concierge Class but have usually been in Aqua in the past so a lunch at Blu would be a lovely change in scenery, in our opinion.

Edited by BeachTunes
  • Thanks 1

Just participated in the Galley to Table tour and lunch "excursion" on Reflection on the June 3rd 4 night sailing.  This was our 15th cruise and we have been on at least 4 or 5 galley tours in the past on Celebrity and other lines, all of which were not excursions, but FREE tours.   We were glad that we booked this on sale because it was actually the shortest galley tour of any previous ones we've been on.  It literally took more time to assemble the small group, complete health question forms and get set up with wireless earpieces than time spent in the galley.  We had a brief walk-and-talk in part of the MDR galley and went through a door to find ourselves in the dining room.  It became apparent that the tour was over and we were on to the lunch.  We were kind of stunned actually.  The food was totally fine and included a choice of 3 starters, 3 entrees and 3 desserts.  I can't recall all the choices, but I had a Frisee Salad with bacon and poached egg, the Luminae Burger, and carrot cake.  DW had a petite filet and chocolate lava cake.  We had our meal while chatting with the 6 other participants, which frankly was a bit uncomfortable since we are socially awkward, lol.  One redeeming factor was that we were joined by an absolutely delightful officer from the Hotel staff, Maria from Russia, but we would not pay to do this again.

• Thanks 5

@Epperbiker Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your experience.

I was optimistic about this but are now on the fence. We won't be in suite class so the opportunity to try the Luminae Burger is intriguing but I can get an amazing burger on land for much less. I'm thinking we can spend our weak Canadian dollars better in another venue. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I booked this "excursion" also for our upcoming Summit cruise to Alaska.  I'm disappointed to read @Epperbiker review.  I did a similar galley tour and lunch on a Royal Caribbean cruise and it was well worth the money.  We toured the galley area and saw each station - some had cooks working on tonights meal (making the bread for example).  Then we were shown where they keep the food for guests with dietary restrictions.  Then we had a nice lunch with champagne.  This doesn't sound like that at all 😞 

I guess I'm going to cancel our reservation.  I'd rather pay for lunch in Sushi on 5 if I'm going to pay...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BeachTunes said:

Luminae Burger is intriguing but I can get an amazing burger on land for much less. I'm thinking we can spend our weak Canadian dollars better in another venue. 🙂

Hi Ellen.😃

Great to see you on the Celebrity boards.  Tim still reminisces about the Crystal cruise as one of his most memorable and relaxing.☺️

I am in 100% agreement with you.  I can think of a few other venues.  
Murano.  

Sushi on 5.  

Inside Access excursion.

It is unfortunate that Celebrity may be cutting the galley tours short.  We have done the free galley tour of days gone bye bye before as well as the one included with the Inside Access: Behind the Scenes Ship Tour excursion.  Both provided an extensive overview in the galley.  The latter being the more recent one that hasn’t yet escaped my memory included commentary from one of the chefs who sadly was not understandable at all through the provided wireless earpieces.  

Once we did one on a December sailing and the crew was working on the construction of the gingerbread houses for the displays.  That was really cool.😎 

We have another Behind the Scenes tour booked on our upcoming Beyond sailing mainly because we hope it will be a bit different than the previous one since it is on a different class of ships.  We are doing it more for the bridge and control room access than anything else, but we will enjoy it all.  On board it is US$155.10 per person, but I caught a pre-cruise 30% off flash sale bringing it down to US$107.99 per person.  I booked the excursion at the end of March.  If you and DH have not yet considered this tour, you should have a look at it.

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Like 1

Please help me to understand why anyone would book & pay for anything that is undefinable?

Like people said this galley tour was free before. It is shorter now and offers a lunch which you already paid for in your cruise price. 

Too many things are now no longer free. Yes, many things have changed from free to money makers for the cruise lines.

We see postings where people are asking for information about:

I purchased a xxxxxx.

What does it contain, what will i get, how long may I use it, where is it located, etc.?

Tell me why I should cruise this ship? Are these ports for me? 

I see and read these on all of CC Forums. I just don't understand it.

Research, use a TA, Internet, call Cruise Line. Before you commit!

JMHO, I know it is your money.

5 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Hi Ellen.😃

Great to see you on the Celebrity boards.  Tim still reminisces about the Crystal cruise as one of his most memorable and relaxing.☺️

Murano.  

Sushi on 5.  

Inside Access excursion.

It is unfortunate that Celebrity may be cutting the galley tours short.  We have done the free galley tour of days gone bye bye before as well as the one included with the Inside Access: Behind the Scenes Ship Tour excursion.  Both provided an extensive overview in the galley.  The latter being the more recent one that hasn’t yet escaped my memory included commentary from one of the chefs who sadly was not understandable at all through the provided wireless earpieces.  

Once we did one on a December sailing and the crew was working on the construction of the gingerbread houses for the displays.  That was really cool.😎 

We have another Behind the Scenes tour booked on our upcoming Beyond sailing mainly because we hope it will be a bit different than the previous one since it is on a different class of ships.  We are doing it more for the bridge and control room access than anything else, but we will enjoy it all.  On board it is US$155.10 per person, but I caught a pre-cruise 30% off flash sale bringing it down to US$107.99 per person.  I booked the excursion at the end of March.  If you and DH have not yet considered this tour, you should have a look at it.

Another Money maker that use to be free for Elite+ & above. I heard you can not take any pictures anymore.

40 minutes ago, asctony said:

Please help me to understand why anyone would book & pay for anything that is undefinable?

Like people said this galley tour was free before. It is shorter now and offers a lunch which you already paid for in your cruise price. 

Too many things are now no longer free. Yes, many things have changed from free to money makers for the cruise lines.

I purchased a xxxxxx.

What does it contain, what will i get, how long may I use it, where is it located, etc.?

YIKES!!  
Time for an attitude of gratitude adjustment.

Please settle down, scroll on by, and go look for another cruiseline not trying to make a buck.

OP really does not deserve such a reply.

By the way she has not committed to or purchased said tour.

Last I checked Cruise Critic was a perfectly acceptable avenue for asking questions.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

YIKES!!  
Time for an attitude of gratitude adjustment.

Please settle down, scroll on by, and go look for another cruiseline not trying to make a buck.

OP really does not deserve such a reply.

By the way she has not committed to or purchased said tour.

Last I checked Cruise Critic was a perfectly acceptable avenue for asking questions.

I did not specifically address this to any one individual! It is a very open statement to anyone who wanted to read an honest assessment of some of the topics recently on these forums. 

This forum is not only applicable to questions, but opinions in responses to questions.

Thanks for your official opinion and remarks. I voiced my opinion and you voiced yours. 

I cruise other lines & read other CC Forums, too. 

Sail on!

14 hours ago, asctony said:

I purchased a xxxxxx.

Thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion. With all due respect, I asked the question about this tour because my understanding is that is a fairly new offering to Celebrity so I was hoping to hear from people who have recently experienced it. Mission accomplished! 🙂

Happy Seas to You!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Hi Ellen.😃

Murano.  

Sushi on 5.  

Inside Access excursion.

Hello Friends! 

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the Behind The Scenes Tour. That might be a better use of our time and funds! 

And yes, that Crystal cruise was dreamy! Virtual hugs to you both! 🙂

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BeachTunes said:

Thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion. With all due respect, I asked the question about this tour because my understanding is that is a fairly new offering to Celebrity so I was hoping to hear from people who have recently experienced it. Mission accomplished! 🙂

Happy Seas to You!

I'm sorry if you took my opinion as being directed at you. Like I said before, it was a general statement to inform people to use all the available resources.

Just like I have people ask me what is my favorite Cruise Line? I don't have one as they all provide something both plus and minus.

Happy Sailing. Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, asctony said:

I'm sorry if you took my opinion as being directed at you. Like I said before, it was a general statement to inform people to use all the available resources.

Just like I have people ask me what is my favorite Cruise Line? I don't have one as they all provide something both plus and minus.

Happy Sailing. Enjoy your cruise. 

All good! No worries at all! Yes, these boards can be "amusing" at times. 

By the way we ADORE Italy. What a beautiful country you live in! 🙂

• Thanks 1

I've done similar tours on other cruise ships, most recently The Summit in October.  It's definitely worth it, particularly if you're a foodie.  They show you the entire galley, which runs the length of the ship for all restaurants.  They'll be in the middle of lunch/dinner prep, so you'll see how they make the desserts, breads, and pastas that night to name a few.  Please wear close-toed shoes for safety reasons.  It will be very loud, and you'll see people moving about trying to get things done quickly, just be kind and move out of the way if possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To add on to what another person said. Who do you believe as everyone has an opinion? 

One says, 'Yes, worth it and the other said NO, not worth it.'

The more we accept the charges and pay for them, the more they will charge us. 

It is your decision and only you can decide. 

Happy Cruising! 

• Like 1