Live-ish report.Vista, Trieste to Athens June 1-12 2024

Did you see the of people streaming up and down the hill to get to and from the St. John's Fortress overlooking Kotor? We did that off Riviera 11/2023. Absolutely amazing views, but a very strenuous hike indeed.

38 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Did you see the of people streaming up and down the hill to get to and from the St. John's Fortress overlooking Kotor? We did that off Riviera 11/2023. Absolutely amazing views, but a very strenuous hike indeed.

We climbed to the top, and yes it's not for anyone with mobility issues. The funny thing is we were walking around the town looking for the entrance to the path, and this little dog came up to us, then took off, then came back like he wanted us to follow him. So we followed him and he led us right to the start of the path. He stayed with us about a 1/3 of the way up then went back. It was a fun day. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, ORV said:

We climbed to the top, and yes it's not for anyone with mobility issues...we were walking around the town looking for the entrance to the path, and this little dog came up to us, then took off, then came back like he wanted us to follow him. So we followed him and he led us right to the start of the path.... It was a fun day. 

Being a feline fancier, I remember all the CATS that were everywhere. So many just near the start of the path.

We got to the path right early, unfortunately as the ticket taker had just opened (if you get there earlier you don't pay). Thankfully it was nice and cloudy as we climbed up. When we came back down around 11 am it was hot and sunny. Those poor bastards climbing up didn't realize how many steps up it is! Better to do it when it is cooler, rather than hotter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Our friends travelling with us actually did it.. too hot and strenuous for me!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Being a feline fancier, I remember all the CATS that were everywhere. So many just near the start of the path.

We got to the path right early, unfortunately as the ticket taker had just opened (if you get there earlier you don't pay). Thankfully it was nice and cloudy as we climbed up. When we came back down around 11 am it was hot and sunny. Those poor bastards climbing up didn't realize how many steps up it is! Better to do it when it is cooler, rather than hotter.

There weren't as many visible cats as I expected today. Maybe it was too hot for them 

• Like 1

We are currently sitting in Baristas which is an Italian themed bar on the evening . I think we are the only ones here.. We are about to try out waves pizza . I need a night off the big meals 

• Like 2

If you left the walled city, not too far away, a short, is a grocery store. Something like "Ideal"? "Idea"? I fell in love with it. Stocked upon on Montenegro beer (was 33% off sale, only E0.69 per 500 ml can) and Serbian brandy (the Vinjack at E10.69). Came back on board with my O bag full of beer and hard liquor.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, daydreamer62 said:

We are currently sitting in Baristas which is an Italian themed bar on the evening . I think we are the only ones here.. We are about to try out waves pizza . I need a night off the big meals 

It was very under-utilised during our cruise too.  I thought it was a nice spot for an evening beverage. If they continued to serve coffee in the evening, it would probably be full. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

After our Apero at Baristas we moved to Waves for pizza (around 7:45) again it was very quiet. The burrata starters are great . I had the one with prosciutto. Then we shared a pizza between us. Half chicken and half meat   it was an excellent pizza with not too many toppings for the thin base.  We then moved to the Terrace Cafe and got a table in the stern for a quick dessert and a pot of peppermint tea . It had obviously been busy there but by the time we got there, there were plenty of tables available. 

Today we are in Bari Italy and we have a private excursion booked to Matera and Alberobello. 

We also have the 1st timers cocktail party 

I got the upgraded drink package. (Husband did not)

You really only need to purchase 2 cocktails to break even. But the drinks are strong. They aren't like what I remember from the previous 2 cruises  I was on where they tasted very watered down. Every one I've had has definitely been full strength. 

If I had a similar port intensive itinerary again I may not buy it but I like not having to have 2 the same as required by the 2 for 1 happy hours so it's been good to have it so far . 

20240604_194356.jpg

Edited by daydreamer62
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, daydreamer62 said:

After our Apero at Baristas we moved to Waves for pizza (around 7:45) again it was very quiet. The burrata starters are great . I had the one with prosciutto. Then we shared a pizza between us. Half chicken and half meat   it was an excellent pizza with not too many toppings for the thin base.  We then moved to the Terrace Cafe and got a table in the stern for a quick dessert and a pot of peppermint tea . It had obviously been busy there but by the time we got there, there were plenty of tables available. 

Today we are in Bari Italy and we have a private excursion booked to Matera and Alberobello. 

We also have the 1st timers cocktail party 

I got the upgraded drink package. (Husband did not)

You really only need to purchase 2 cocktails to break even. But the drinks are strong. They aren't like what I remember from the previous 2 cruises  I was on where they tasted very watered down. Every one I've had has definitely been full strength. 

If I had a similar port intensive itinerary again I may not buy it but I like not having to have 2 the same as required by the 2 for 1 happy hours so it's been good to have it so far . 

20240604_194356.jpg

That looks great, thanks again for taking the time.

• Like 2

Your updates are very enjoyable.   Seems like you have a nice, relaxed, positive attitude.  Glad you are enjoying your first O cruise!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, daydreamer62 said:

They aren't like what I remember from the previous 2 cruises  I was on where they tasted very watered down

These were on another cruise line?

Today we did a private excursion from Bari that took in Matera and Alberobello as the cruise line didn't have one that did both. We booked it through Viator and even with 8 of us it was more expensive than most of the ship tours. On the positive side. He got us to both Matera and Alberobello.. I know I'm normally a pretty positive person but that's about the only positive thing I can say. If he actually knew what he was talking about then he clearly had no interest in imparting the truth. I research a lot about the places I am visiting so maybe I know more than most of his clients but when he did talk he pretty much told a lot of poppycock. He certainly wasn't  a charismatic person. In fact I think he should find a job where he doesn't interact with people!! And the driving...... All 8 of us plus him were squeezed 3 across an old rickety van. He would not run the air conditioning all the time so it was stifling in the back and he drove at speeds typical of Enzo Ferrari. This I wouldn't mind but the suspension in the back was non existent meaning I probably need spinal work done when I get home!!  ( Ok that's an exaggeration) 

Put it this way . None of us felt the need to tip him .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Sorry to hear about your tour experience.  We learned from previous experiences that in Italy, a driver is one profession, and a licensed guide is another profession.  So if you only have a driver on a tour, that person is not a guide and will not be able to provide the same experience as a licensed guide.  From our experience, some companies are better at explaining this before you book, and those companies offer to make arrangements for a licensed guide to join the tour at places where a guide will be beneficial.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

It was very under-utilised during our cruise too.

And on our recent one. One evening, there was only us there. Can't understand it. Lovely spot for an aperitif. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

Sorry to hear about your tour experience.  We learned from previous experiences that in Italy, a driver is one profession, and a licensed guide is another profession.  So if you only have a driver on a tour, that person is not a guide and will not be able to provide the same experience as a licensed guide.  From our experience, some companies are better at explaining this before you book, and those companies offer to make arrangements for a licensed guide to join the tour at places where a guide will be beneficial.  

We've had great experiences with single driver/guide tours in Italy in the past over the years . I believe they can't enter museums but can still provide a great experience. Romeinlimo is a good one and we used another great one in lake Como among others. They can't enter museums but still give excellent tours 

I can't believe they're were no other poor reviews on this guy. He honestly was dreadful! But at least he got us to both places and back to Bari ( though not back to the ship,.. we walked back from the old town)

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, daydreamer62 said:

We've had great experiences with single driver/guide tours in Italy in the past over the years . I believe they can't enter museums but can still provide a great experience. Romeinlimo is a good one and we used another great one in lake Como among others. They can't enter museums but still give excellent tours 

I can't believe they're were no other poor reviews on this guy. He honestly was dreadful! But at least he got us to both places and back to Bari ( though not back to the ship,.. we walked back from the old town)

I’m curious if you chose to be dropped in the old town or the guide didn’t want to go back to the ship. If so it’s unacceptable.

Well originally we had communicated with us and we asked if we could start earlier and  add some sightseeing in Bari to the itinerary.. which he agreed to. Only clearly he wasn't inclined to do that today. One of our 4 couples wanted to be dropped back to the ship and he refused . The entire tour really was unacceptable !! He pulled "facts" from thin air . Some of them totally ridiculous. 

Last night we had the first timers cocktail party. There are 679 out of 1189 on board who are new to Oceania so something is clearly working to bring in new customers . 

We have met a lot of people due to the meet and greet we set up. Most have had a similar experience to us in that it's been hard to fault and they not only want to come back.. they don't want to get off!!

I've heard of a few issues from a couple of people .. Nothing is perfect. But for us so far it's been excellent 

We decided to eat in the Terrace Cafe outside. I have be be honest and say I'm not a buffet person for dinner. I don't mind for breakfast or even lunch but I like a served and plated dinner. 

I had a BIG plate of sushi that was excellent and a couple of plate individual salads . Then a couple of little desserts. I would have had something from the grill but it was quite busy there. 

My opinion of buffets stands. Even though this is MUCH better than a standard buffet. I just prefer the relaxation of a standard plated meal. 

We had an early night and didn't go to the comedian who we found only mildly amusing and  had seen a few nights ago 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2024 at 12:36 PM, daydreamer62 said:

Well originally we had communicated with us and we asked if we could start earlier and  add some sightseeing in Bari to the itinerary.. which he agreed to. Only clearly he wasn't inclined to do that today. One of our 4 couples wanted to be dropped back to the ship and he refused . The entire tour really was unacceptable !! He pulled "facts" from thin air . Some of them totally ridiculous. 

He definitely needs AI; at the very least, it would provide some better information😝

On 6/4/2024 at 1:10 PM, daydreamer62 said:

Nice to know. On our Vista voyage in April, we were too busy trying to get a seat in Martinis. Now I’ll know better and check it out.

18 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

On our Vista voyage in April, we were too busy trying to get a seat in Martinis

We found Martini's to be consistently very cold. Too cold to sit and enjoy a drink or two. It was the only public room on the ship that was like that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Nice to know. On our Vista voyage in April, we were too busy trying to get a seat in Martinis. Now I’ll know better and check it out.

We were in martinis last night. Plenty of space there but definitely busier than Baristas