Horizon / (*Not) Live / Solo - May - 25 - June - 2024...

I hope you enjoy your cruise and look forward to reading the "new" Sid review. While I always enjoy  your live reviews, you deserve to relax and enjoy your new ports without the stress of keeping in constant contact.

M

• Like 4

Another margarita with my cheese steak sandwich, and I've accomplished pretty much most of the packing. Only thing left is the shirts, which I usually wait until morning to pack, although I'll probably go ahead and knock them out so I can get an extra half hour of sleep... 

For the past couple of months I've been having a rough time getting excited for this cruise. I think that it's finally starting to hit me now! I haven't been "completely disconnected" from the outside World in a long long time, so hopefully I'm prepared for that. I've vowed that no matter what, I'm not going to purchase an Internet plan once on board...

PXL_20240523_215447407.thumb.jpg.4d52fac0b8f6a45deaa516b3bc07d1b0.jpg

PXL_20240523_215454084.jpg

• Like 26

9 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

I've vowed that no matter what, I'm not going to purchase an Internet plan once on board...

“No soup for Elaine” and “No internet plan for Sid!”

• Like 5

My port plans so far are pretty thin. I know that I want to visit one or more of the beautiful beaches in Aruba, so that's on my list. Also, we'll be in port until 10:00 there, so I may even try to have a nice dinner on shore. 

This will be my very first time to Bonaire, and it appears to also have some decent beaches, but I don't have a firm game plan there yet. I've looked into a couple of food trucks and beach bars at a public beach not very far from the port. We're only there until the early afternoon, so I don't want to stray too far. I've read that they have a little public bus system that's pretty easy to catch and cheap.

As for Amber Cove and La Romana, I'll probably just call it a “sea day”, and enjoy the mostly empty ship. I've been to Dominican Republic a few times, and honestly it's among my least favorite ports. I'd even go so far as to say I'd put it down there with Nassau…

Screenshot_20240429-201747~2.png

• Like 28

Posted (edited)

Switched to straight tequila now, but I'm not going to go too far overboard... Hopefully everything I need is either in my bag already or on deck soon. I did remember to break out my hand drawn packing list to make sure I didn't leave behind anything crucial. I remember the one time when I forgot the Q tips... Worst vacation ever!... 

Screenshot_20240519-112403~2.png

PXL_20240523_233325178.jpg

Edited by sid_9169
  • Like 10
  • Haha 10

Posted (edited)

The shirts are laid out but not wrapped yet... Other than that, packing is pretty much 95%... It's looking like a beautiful evening here in Atlanta, and I hear that it's been pretty hot down in Miami. The alarm is set, and by this time tomorrow I'll be knee deep into the streets of Miami... 

PXL_20240524_004321648.jpg

Edited by sid_9169
  • Like 23

8 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

I'm hoping to be able to get a seat at the bar at Alchemy, but I suspect that I could camp out on the first day just to try and cement my place there. I likely don't know any of the Alchemy bartenders there either, unless I get lucky. I've had some pretty good luck with the “good tip” straight off the bat to try and keep the drink's coming quickly if I can't get a spot at the main bar, and end up out at the outer bar, which is unique to the Vista class of ship as far as I know

Freedom had that outer bar at Alchemy as well. We unfortunately got stuck sitting at it a few times.

Enjoy your cruise, Sid - I'll be here for the after party!

• Like 2

I'd give almost anything to be able to get a good night's sleep... I had the alarm set for 6:15, but I've been up basically since 4:00... I laid there with my eyes shut but sleep just wasn't happening. I finally just went ahead and got up before the dang alarm even went off...

Hopefully this pot of black coffee will give me enough motivation to push through the lack of good rest.

PXL_20240524_102518132.jpg

• Like 21