QA British Isles Voyage

Megabear2

4 hours ago, safarigal said:

The Commodore Club was totally packed this morning. There was a plaque ceremony going on so the Captain was there, but I don't think this was the only attraction. It is the perfect place to sit in comfort and watch the rain and the fog outside while we are waiting to see if the weather will improve enough for the tenders to take us ashore in South Queens Ferry. 

Incidentally the ship you saw at Tenerife is the La Palma of 1912. Sorry this is the wrong place.

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Having just had a nose at the Grills Lounge, I can see why folk don’t like it. I wouldn’t want to sit in there when there are so many much nicer bars and lounges elsewhere on the ship. 

Actually, we find it very comfortable and pleasant.  After we enjoyed QE’s Grills lounge so much last year, we were a little concerned that Anne’s wouldn’t measure up, being so radically different in positioning and design.  For us, to our surprise, it’s actually superior, being more spacious and with both good conversation areas and cosy niches.  Bear in mind that Grills passengers have balconies from which to enjoy land and seascapes, virtually all day if they wish.  We enjoy chatting with other folk, reading our books and tackling crosswords in the lounge.  A view is unnecessary for such activities.  Our one gripe about the Grills lounge, and it’s a big one, is that the bar doesn’t open until 11.30am.  That opening time is ridiculous, being too long after breakfast, and too close to lunch, for a mid-morning coffee or tea.  As tea and coffee in the lounge is inclusive for Grills folk, perhaps it’s Cunard’s bottom-line trimming at work here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I can think of almost no day time activity at sea which isn’t improved by a view. In fact I even leave some of the curtains open at night to see the moon on the waves. Cabin balconies are great but only give a view of one side, unlike the Vista Grills Lounges.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes I have taken mine out.  It actually lay behind the top one rather than directly beneath so if I hadn't done so my long hanging space was 10 hangers in two narrow wardrobes.  This is how mine look now.  I've put the removed hanger up so you can see the width. 

On missing things I gave a strange one!  My under the sink shelf contains an unopened box of tissues, however I cannot find anywhere in the room or bathroom where a tissue dispenser can be found.  I'm tempted to open the new box and see where it travels to!

20240526_104225.jpg

There is a slit on the return of the marble shelf, just to the right of the basin. I only discovered it this morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I can think of almost no day time activity at sea which isn’t improved by a view. In fact I even leave some of the curtains open at night to see the moon on the waves. Cabin balconies are great but only give a view of one side, unlike the Vista Grills Lounges.

Not all cabin balconies.  We are in the middle of the stern, directly above the propellers, which affords a wonderful view of port and starboard, as we progress.  It’s as interesting as forward views, which we’ve enjoyed on several lines. The wake is mesmerising, almost hypnotic.  Right now we are facing the entire span of the magnificent, original Firth of Forth bridge.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, NE John said:

I saw him play with Thin Lizzy in 1979…FWIW. Great gig. 

He and his wife are delightful, and unassuming.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Not all cabin balconies.  We are in the middle of the stern, directly above the propellers, which affords a wonderful view of port and starboard, as we progress.  It’s as interesting as forward views, which we’ve enjoyed on several lines. The wake is mesmerising, almost hypnotic.  Right now we are facing the entire span of the magnificent, original Firth of Forth bridge.

Do you find the wake noisy? From the back of Deck 9, it seemed very noisy to me.

Just now, exlondoner said:

Do you find the wake noisy? From the back of Deck 9, it seemed very noisy to me.

No, not at all.  I at first assumed it was excellent soundproofing in the glazing, but even out on the balcony, and at a good steady rate of knots (pun intended), it’s a very soft “swishing”.  Quite soothing, in fact.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

No, not at all.  I at first assumed it was excellent soundproofing in the glazing, but even out on the balcony, and at a good steady rate of knots (pun intended), it’s a very soft “swishing”.  Quite soothing, in fact.

I think people have wildly different tolerances. I once asked a couple who had a cabin at the back of one of the Vistas. He said he never noticed it, she said she couldn’t sleep because of it. I think I might be in the second category, but I love to watch it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Bear in mind that Grills passengers have balconies from which to enjoy land and seascapes, virtually all day if they wish.

We never cruise without a balcony, and have a decent sized one on Queen Anne, but would still struggle to convince ourselves that of all the lovely bars and lounges on board, we would pick one that had no outlook. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We never cruise without a balcony, and have a decent sized one on Queen Anne, but would still struggle to convince ourselves that of all the lovely bars and lounges on board, we would pick one that had no outlook. 

And I respect and understand your opinion completely.  For us, it’s not a major factor, we simply find a view nonessential.  We are truly enjoying the cosy comfort of this lounge, much to our surprise.  We called by Carinthia this morning, hoping to relax over a coffee and croissant as we had skipped breakfast. It was packed, with not a spare table either in the general area or out in the walkways.  We eventually scored two barstools, which were rather awkward to mount and perch on.  Because it’s such an open area, and packed to the rafters, it’s naturally noisy, so not a cosy, relaxing experience.  The huge plus:  the coffee and croissants were excellent.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

And I respect and understand your opinion completely.  For us, it’s not a major factor, we simply find a view nonessential.  We are truly enjoying the cosy comfort of this lounge, much to our surprise.  We called by Carinthia this morning, hoping to relax over a coffee and croissant as we had skipped breakfast. It was packed, with not a spare table either in the general area or out in the walkways.  We eventually scored two barstools, which were rather awkward to mount and perch on.  Because it’s such an open area, and packed to the rafters, it’s naturally noisy, so not a cosy, relaxing experience.  The huge plus:  the coffee and croissants were excellent.

The crowdedness was presumably compounded by the tendering difficulties, which must have all been a bit grim. And today would have been her first tender port.

As we stayed on board today, my wife and I have both toured the entire ship (2nd time for me) and viewed every public area, so now have an informed view of the ship. 

To get the negatives out of the way first, the biggest negative, and it’s a big one for us, is our cabin (accessible Britannia Club balcony cabin). As well as the fact that it is very poorly equipped for those with disabilities, the sound insulation is the worst we’ve had for some time. I can hear neighbours televisions and conversations, which is irritating at any time but particularly at 5.30am (sadly, our neighbours one side are VERY early risers). The other negatives are the promenade deck, which is frankly pathetic and the worst I’ve seen on any cruise ship, and the lifts that are too small and therefore challenging for wheelchair users, as with a pusher you need nearly half the lift. We had exactly the same challenge on P&Os Iona, which also has lifts that are far too small. 

However, those issues aside, we think that Queen Anne is a lovely ship. We both feel that the theming and quality of decoration and furnishings is excellent. The stylised and modern interpretation of Art Deco works extremely well and everything seems to be of a very good quality. 

Service has, in the main, been very good and we are pleased that we booked Britannia Club as the concept works really well for us, having our own dedicated table for 2 that we can use whenever we like for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Food has been very good (lunches just good, but breakfast and dinner both excellent). Service can be a bit slow, but better that than being rushed. You just have to be aware of the timings if you want to see a show after dinner. 

Entertainment so far has been excellent with some very creative and different shows e.g. Brief Encounter and Noir. 

Bars are all pleasant and the provision of complimentary snacks is much appreciated. 

In summary, most of our negatives have been caused by my wife’s disability and the fact that the ship is not up to par with modern day accessibility needs, which has come as a surprise and a disappointment. However, as the overwhelming majority of passengers won’t have the disability challenges that my wife has to endure, I would have no hesitation in recommending this ship. It really is lovely. Just hope that you don’t have noisy cabin neighbours!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

We haven’t used Carinthia yet but yes the whole ship was packed this morning due to the delayed tender operation, including the Grills Lounge that we illegally had a look at 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

As we stayed on board today, my wife and I have both toured the entire ship (2nd time for me) and viewed every public area, so now have an informed view of the ship. 

To get the negatives out of the way first, the biggest negative, and it’s a big one for us, is our cabin (accessible Britannia Club balcony cabin). As well as the fact that it is very poorly equipped for those with disabilities, the sound insulation is the worst we’ve had for some time. I can hear neighbours televisions and conversations, which is irritating at any time but particularly at 5.30am (sadly, our neighbours one side are VERY early risers). The other negatives are the promenade deck, which is frankly pathetic and the worst I’ve seen on any cruise ship, and the lifts that are too small and therefore challenging for wheelchair users, as with a pusher you need nearly half the lift. We had exactly the same challenge on P&Os Iona, which also has lifts that are far too small. 

Thanks for your, as ever, very balanced perspective.

Could you expand a bit on what is wrong with the promenade deck from your perspective.  Is it an issue with wheelchair accessibility or is it a more general issue?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Thanks for your, as ever, very balanced perspective.

Could you expand a bit on what is wrong with the promenade deck from your perspective.  Is it an issue with wheelchair accessibility or is it a more general issue?

Nothing to do with the wheelchair Mark - my wife hasn’t even been around it yet! The main issue for me is the obstructed view from it. The majority of it is enclosed by lifeboats, tenders and other mechanical obstructions. You only get a view from the aft and a few relatively short sections on the sides. All the obstructions make it look very unattractive IMHO. It’s also quite narrow, probably because they know that the design of it means that it won’t be used much! 

We always have a balcony, so never sit on a promenade deck, but I’ve heard a number of people bemoaning the fact that there are no steamer chairs on the Promenade deck. If you want to sit outside and don’t have a balcony you need to go ‘up top’ which can be more exposed and windy than a sheltered promenade deck. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Nothing to do with the wheelchair Mark - my wife hasn’t even been around it yet! The main issue for me is the obstructed view from it. The majority of it is enclosed by lifeboats, tenders and other mechanical obstructions. You only get a view from the aft and a few relatively short sections on the sides. All the instructions make it look very unattractive IMHO. It’s also quite narrow, probably because they know that the design of it means that it won’t be used much! 

We always have a balcony, so never sit on a promenade deck, but I’ve heard a number of people bemoaning the fact that there are no steamer chairs on the Promenade deck. If you want to sit outside and don’t have a balcony you need to go ‘up top’ which can be more exposed and windy than a sheltered promenade deck. 

Very annoying, but I do think the upper decks are glorious outdoor spaces, with a surprising amount of shelter, and some good shaded areas, and great views.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Very annoying, but I do think the upper decks are glorious outdoor spaces, with a surprising amount of shelter, and some good shaded areas, and great views.

Looking forward to using these outdoor spaces. I can live without the views. I only walk round the deck early morning for exercise. I enjoy people watching rather then just sitting on my own balcony but apparently the deck 4 ones are much larger. I wonder if anyone would notice me moving a lounger. Annoyingly on the HAL ships  deck 4 rooms come with loungers. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We haven’t used Carinthia yet but yes the whole ship was packed this morning due to the delayed tender operation, including the Grills Lounge that we illegally had a look at 😉

What time, approximately, were you sneaking around the Grills lounge?

26 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

What time, approximately, were you sneaking around the Grills lounge?

I wasn’t clock watching, but I’d say mid morning. As I said, most people were still on the ship as tender operations had been delayed, so all lounges were busy, including Grills. 

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I wasn’t clock watching, but I’d say mid morning. As I said, most people were still on the ship as tender operations had been delayed, so all lounges were busy, including Grills. 

I only ask because so far, and that’s important because we’ve only been aboard three days, the only occasions I’ve noticed the G lounge with a substantial gathering is just before or just after meal hours.  It’s a natural area to enjoy a pre or after-dinner drink, and we also prefer to linger over the coffee there, because it’s till now been a superior cup to that served in the restaurant.  It’s not just the machine that’s important, but the Barista’s expertise.

While heavily patronised at these times, we’ve so far always found a seat.  A few times on QE last year, there were no spots available, and several fellow passengers experienced the same situation.  Of course, the vessels are different in size, so the lounges are designed accordingly, but Elizabeth’s is just too compact for the number of Grills passengers, IMHO. 

Anyhoo…it all boils down to opinions and perspectives, really.  We simply find Anne’s Grills lounge inviting and comfortable.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I only ask because so far, and that’s important because we’ve only been aboard three days, the only occasions I’ve noticed the G lounge with a substantial gathering is just before or just after meal hours.  It’s a natural area to enjoy a pre or after-dinner drink, and we also prefer to linger over the coffee there, because it’s till now been a superior cup to that served in the restaurant.  It’s not just the machine that’s important, but the Barista’s expertise.

While heavily patronised at these times, we’ve so far always found a seat.  A few times on QE last year, there were no spots available, and several fellow passengers experienced the same situation.  Of course, the vessels are different in size, so the lounges are designed accordingly, but Elizabeth’s is just too compact for the number of Grills passengers, IMHO. 

Anyhoo…it all boils down to opinions and perspectives, really.  We simply find Anne’s Grills lounge inviting and comfortable.  

I’m sure that it was exceptional due to the delayed tender operation, which forced all those who wished to disembark to find somewhere to ‘hang around’ plus, due to the poor weather, a lot of us just stayed on the ship (my wife couldn’t have got off anyway as she can’t use tenders and I’ve been to Edinburgh dozens of times so was happy to skip it). 

Our only comparison is QM2. When we stayed in PG on her the Grills lounge seemed to be deserted during most of the day, the only busy times being afternoon tea and pre dinner.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Incidentally the ship you saw at Tenerife is the La Palma of 1912. Sorry this is the wrong place.

Thank you so much for letting me know this :). She must have been a real beauty in her day!

• Like 1

Hi Megabear

Thanks for the photo of your inside cabin, please could you tell me if the television swings out from the wall as it looks in a difficult position to watch comfortably from the bed .

Mark

On 5/25/2024 at 12:03 AM, Megabear2 said:

Having just retired after watching the theatre show by Julian Smith and a swift nightcap in the Golden Lion, I think that overall it's been an excellent start to the voyage.  Not sure if I've just been lucky but apart from the dinner hiccup service has been good in all the places I've tried and everyone has been happy to help. 

The most important thing to me is my room which is really convenient for the stairs and lift and is extremely quiet (that was my big worry before boarding.

So far the view from the cheap seats has been excellent!

20240524_145936.jpg

20240524_150000.jpg

20240524_150243.jpg

20240524_154148.jpg

20240524_175309.jpg

20240524_175314.jpg

20240524_175317.jpg

20240524_181847.jpg