QA British Isles Voyage

Megabear2

1 hour ago, Cruise Puss said:

Could anyone tell me how busy the Grills Lounge is before and after lunch and dinner?

Oh, and are there any bar stools?

Many thanks.

No bar stools, and the bar actually opened at 11am today.  Still too late, but a definite improvement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

No bar stools, and the bar actually opened at 11am today.  Still too late, but a definite improvement.

That means coffee up on deck will be available from 11am too so very useful info. Thx. 🙂

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Many thanks.

Does it stay open all day then?

(My Husband is not going to be happy there are no bar stools!)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cruise Puss said:

Many thanks.

Does it stay open all day then?

(My Husband is not going to be happy there are no bar stools!)

Yes, remains open till late evening.  Only a few steps from dining tables. Great for post-dinner drinks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, remains open till late evening.  Only a few steps from dining tables. Great for post-dinner drinks.

Are there many in there after dinner?

2 hours ago, Shingles Mark said:

Hi Megabear

Thanks for the photo of your inside cabin, please could you tell me if the television swings out from the wall as it looks in a difficult position to watch comfortably from the bed .

Mark

Unfortunately not.  There have been many complaints about this I understand.  It is indeed uncomfortable to watch, particularly for something like a film.  It is the one major flaw with the room design I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sorry for being tardy with my update from yesterday.  As has already been mentioned the tendering was delayed.  That is obviously important to what I write next and my story/opinion on the operation is partly the reason for the delay as if I'd written in haste it would not be a good idea.

I was in breakfast with some great people from New York state when the delay announcement came in.  As a result with none of us planning anything special we took the decision to linger a while eventually being the last out at around 9.45. Outside every public area on deck 2 was full with people, clearly the excursion crowd and those who'd taken early tender tickets.  It looked like everyone had their hands full so having said my farewells to my breakfast companions I decided to return to my room to pack my ashore bag with umbrella and raincoat and to await the next announcement.  This came a while later and after waiting another hour to let things start to move I walked down to deck 1 to take a seat and enjoy a coffee where I could monitor the crowd movement above. At around 12.15pm I decided to go to the tender ticket station to get an update on the situation.  On arrival two rather harassed young people were handing out tender tickets.  I wanted to gauge how long I'd be required to sit in the theatre if I took a ticket at that time, ie what numbers were currently leaving.  They didn't know, absolutely no clue or information to offer.  The cruise entertainment manager was standing to one side of them so I repeated the question.  He was rather evasive so I repeated did he have an estimate of how long the wait might be for a new ticket taker if they proceeded to the theatre now.  I pointed out as far as I was aware no further announcements on the operation had been made in the public areas for well over 90 minutes.  He told me announcements were being made in the theatre only.  Fair enough, so if I take the ticket now  No. 26 at what time do you estimate I will be on a tender?  This apparently was not a question he was able/willing to offer a reply to.  Eventually he told me 10-30 minutes was his estimate so I took the ticket and entered the theatre.  There were a couple of hundred people seated.  Spotting a couple I'd sat with a couple of nights back I went to sit in the empty row in front of them.  Hi guys, how long have you been waiting in here?  One and a half hours ... the boys were not very happy as they had plans they now couldn't make. A lady sitting behind them joined in, I've been here two hours, need the bathroom but am frightened to leave in case my number 19 gets called and I'm left for more hours. Oh dear I thought.

After 20 minutes our errant entertainment guy arrived and was immediately accosted by a group of very cross American ladies who also had number 19 and had been there nearly two hours by this time.  Lots of hasty apologies going on but leaving the wider audience waiting patiently for explanation.  Eventually he came on the microphone and informed the ensemble that he had two boats coming in which would seat 130 each.  He asked for a raise of hands to count for the first boat, groups 19 to 25 drawing the straw.  Those remaining were assured the second boat was immediately behind.  He informed us he'd stopped operation of general tendering to allow some late tour guests to go as they'd made the mistake of going to the theatre as a group rather than their meeting.  That caused a general mumbling of why hadn't the staff martialled them properly and made sure they went to the right place but apparently two preceding boats had taken those guests leaving the remaining groups sitting with no information as to why the wait was so long.

Ten minutes after this announcement he called groups 19 to 25 and off they went.  The remaining people he did a rough count and said we would be on his "immediately behind" boat.

Time ticked one, 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes... meantime more new arrivals with tickets coming in.  Long story short called 40 minutes after groups 19-25 left.  Followed Francesco as instructed, down to the loading deck  swipe out - oops sorry we aren't ready yet, go back to the other side of the barrier.  Along the walk down others asking how to get the tender were being told you still need a ticket.

I boarded first of the group at 2.15pm.  Standing room only and arrived shoreside 2.30pm.  

I've no idea if this was atypical but it was a dreadful experience for many.

Having got ashore after about 10 minutes the heavens opened again.  Many decided to just wander through the village to get lunch.  I took a taxi and asked the driver if he'd take me on a general tour avoiding central Edinburgh which he kindly did.  That was a great way to see a bit withgetting wet and he ended by dropping me for dome authentic shopping before taking me back.  

The queue was growing to get the tender back.  That was far better though completely uncovered, it was about 20 minutes.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Wow, you've got a lot more patience that me MB2, I think I'd of simply given up, especially given the evasive attitude of the crew, probably guess work just to get you moved on, not exactly good.

Thanks for your continued posts, it's a very interesting read.

Edited by S1971
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We’ve not heard anything, but it may just be that we have time to kill as it’s an easy run to Kirkwall and we’ve been plodding along at 11 knots. 

However, please keep monitoring just in case this becomes a maritime equivalent of MH370 😱 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

We’ve not heard anything, but it may just be that we have time to kill as it’s an easy run to Kirkwall and we’ve been plodding along at 11 knots. 

However, please keep monitoring just in case this becomes a maritime equivalent of MH370 😱 

I think you have now turned North. 😀

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think you have now turned North. 😀

Yep. We are in the Britannia Club dining room by a window and the sun is setting our side (port) which has to mean that we are heading North 😂

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yep. We are in the Britannia Club dining room by a window and the sun is setting our side (port) which has to mean that we are heading North 😂

I'm in the buffet(!) facing forward and the sun is just on my left and slowly disappearing.  Really nice light a few minutes ago.

20240527_210438.jpg

20240527_210430.jpg

20240527_210426.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm in the buffet(!) facing forward and the sun is just on my left and slowly disappearing.  Really nice light a few minutes ago.

20240527_210438.jpg

20240527_210430.jpg

20240527_210426.jpg

Lovely. Did you see the red moon the first night? I had to do a double take as I’ve never seen anything like it. The photo came out rubbish but at least you get the colour. It was just above the horizon. As it rose it turned orange before eventually white. Quite incredible. 

IMG_2118.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Lovely. Did you see the red moon the first night? I had to do a double take as I’ve never seen anything like it. The photo came out rubbish but at least you get the colour. It was just above the horizon. As it rose it turned orange before eventually white. Quite incredible. 

IMG_2118.jpeg

Yes, I did but I didn't have the camera.  Really seeing some unexpected things on this voyage.

Just saw the marvellous Mr Ure so missed dinner tonight.  I had my Diamond free lunch in Sir Samuel's today and I can only manage one large meal a day now I'm under the health coach.  Thought I'd pop in here for some cheese and biscuits and was treated to 15 minutes of nature's spectacle.

I've never been to Scotland (yes I know) so these late nights and open skies are a real treat for me.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Sorry, back to operation catch up and to the business in hand before the theatre called my name.

The tenders back were having reduced capacity as apparently 80 seats are outside and with the rain pouring down no.one wanted to use those seats.  Everything was full with standing down the middle row.  On pulling up to the tender platform they said they wanted to do disembarking row by row. Not a hope in he'll, I'm afraid. I was quite shocked that before the standing passengers had finished leaving or the ones downstairs had climbed the stairs the guy next to me was chiveing me to get up and stop the queue because he was in a hurry.  I did eventually step out to let him through but I thought it was rather rude and irresponsible.

Incidentally the floor and connecting platform very slippery despite best efforts with mops.

Back onboard I had time for a reviving g&t and a hot chocolate to take the chill off before heading back to my room to prepare for the night's festivities. I had booked Bright Lights Society for 7.15 show with no idea what Noir actually was.  I was about to learn big time!

Firstly as I said previously I wear very bright clohhjng in the evenings and on this occasion it must have been a big target on my back.

I found a nice table on the second level as I'd been told to avoid the front row and ordered a drink - I can confirm the mojito served there was by far my favourite drink on the ship to date - and was joined by another solo lady traveller.  A sort of pre-show was happening which we were enjoying when approached by the female presenter who asked if we would be prepared to help out, nothing too taxing just a bit of dancing.  My new friend didn't seem too worried so I nodded along.  Yes  you can guess what happened next! The male "star" came over and said he'd heard we were going to help by being very brave, and who was going to be bravest he says looking straight at me!   Big smile, I thought, our main man will pass on by.  Did he heck ... without spoiling the plot for those to come I found myself with a seriously big part as a suspect in the case!  You only have to read of the cue cards and adlib he says ... yes right.  When my time came I looked at the first card and thought it was in a foreign language- Swedish I told them which brought the house down.  To hell I thought, best ad lib this one in case I cant read anything else.

It was hilarious, great fun but not for the faint hearted zbd i really I needed my second mojhito fast- well that was my excuse anyway they really are very good.

Despite my unexpected participation this was great entertainment and I'd recommend everyone's.  Certainly I'm hoping to go again, even if only for those mojitos!

Dinner followed  again excellent and our table had grown another couple do we are now full.  

Despite the traumatic tendering it was another great day both onboard and ashore, crowned by my now infamous performance as Jonesie!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 16
  • Haha 1

I was awoken this morning by the sound of the gentleman playing the bagpipes on the dock. It's not even raining, and there are patches of blue skies, it's going to be a good day! There are loads of flags on the dock - an interesting assortment of countries. Welcome to Kirkwall.

IMG_6672.jpg

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, safarigal said:

I was awoken this morning by the sound of the gentleman playing the bagpipes on the dock. It's not even raining, and there are patches of blue skies, it's going to be a good day! There are loads of flags on the dock - an interesting assortment of countries. Welcome to Kirkwall.

IMG_6672.jpg

Interesting to see that Nieuw Statendam, which is the same design, is also there today. Perhaps some pictures of the sisters.

• Like 1