QM2 Crossing review

Me from ME

45 minutes ago, Kordy said:

maybe if we do Fixed Dining on Deck 2, then we are more likely to have a separate table with more space around us?

Deck 3 feels more spacious due to the big empty area in the middle. Tables are equally close together on both decks (and indeed the Grills). The lower gallery deck 3 two tops are very much on their own.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kordy said:

When I do fixed dining on QM2.... what happens if I'm late or have to switch it up to a later seating?  Can I just turn-up late or use the Deck 3 instead?

If you hadn't already figured it out the reason you'd get fixed staff is because you'd have a fixed table.

Pushpit has covered this, but; If you had early or late sitting and on a particular night you knew you would want to change that, you could book one of the pop-ups or Verandah for the time you require.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, D&N said:

If you hadn't already figured it out the reason you'd get fixed staff is because you'd have a fixed table.

Pushpit has covered this, but; If you had early or late sitting and on a particular night you knew you would want to change that, you could book one of the pop-ups or Verandah for the time you require.

Thank you !

One more question - is it easy to change from Fixed Seating to Open Seating, in the middle of the cruise? Can they refuse that?

I still don't really understand the full pros+cons of open vs fixed seating, in terms, of which will have the better experience.  Having the same staff or the same table is not important to us - what is important is a nice table for 2 that is quiet/isolated, rather than being 6 inches from another couple. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kordy said:

I still don't really understand the full pros+cons of open vs fixed seating, in terms, of which will have the better experience.  Having the same staff or the same table is not important to us - what is important is a nice table for 2 that is quiet/isolated, rather than being 6 inches from another couple. 

Open on deck 3 has the benefit of the 2Tops near balcony rail shown in photo Pushpit posted on link below. Not sure you can be guaranteed to get one of them though. With fixed if you can get a table that suits to start with then it's yours for trip and you'll always be same distance from others (unless they move the tables!). It may be that if you have same staff who get to know your likes they may be more attentive as many folk are more likely to give additional tips to staff that have served them well at end of cruise/crossing. With different staff each night the standards might vary.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kordy said:

One more question - is it easy to change from Fixed Seating to Open Seating, in the middle of the cruise? Can they refuse that?

Though I am a fan of Open dining, I would probably advise someone new to Cunard to go with Fixed to begin with, unless there was a very specific reason to go Open. E.g. they find the timings really restrictive.  If you start with Fixed you should get the swing of it and get the most of the Cunard crew experience. 

By the sounds of it, table location is a big deal for you, in which case the timing aspect between Fixed and Open isn't important / less important. If you don't like your allocated table, then on Fixed dining you just ask for another, then you can be sure to have a suitable table night after night. With Open then it's more of a lottery, each night there is a different range of table available. I quite like that, you get to see all the different parts of the dining room but that's of no benefit to you. Hence Fixed would be more logical.

Note just because there is a table 15 cm away, doesn't mean there will be someone else will be there. I remember once getting window seat on deck 3 upper gallery, so 3 tables x 2, and being the only person there, which did feel a bit odd. On the other hand, if you are the lonesome type I would query why you would want to be on a ship with two thousand other passengers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kordy said:

Thank you !

Yes it's quite easy to change from Fixed dining to an Open evening dining   concept,  however, you can't chop and change whenever you find it agrees with your  evening arrangements .

If having a dedicated restaurant waiter (and table)  who understands your preferences and who will often greet you by name  is not important to you  and your travel companion, then 'Please opt' for open seating and allow other guests who prefer the Fixed dining concept, which is often fully booked ( or on a waitlist)

You mention your preference for a 'Specific' or a Quiet table for two - NO two evenings in the restaurant  are the same when on Open Dining , unless you want to take pot luck OR handed a pager and told to come back in 40 mins or so .     

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kordy said:

what is important is a nice table for 2 that is quiet/isolated, rather than being 6 inches from another couple. 

See if you can reserve Table 352 on Deck 2.  It was as isolated as you can get, but still had a partial view of the sea as well as the dining room.  There is a large structural column to one side, which effectively blocks off that area, and is next to a partial tiered wall by the stairs.  In other words, there is no one on either side of you.  I loved it.

• Like 2

Note that the table numbers - and tables - aren't totally fixed, they do move things around. So if there are a lot of extended family groups, during school holidays, they rig up more large tables, and thus shuffle other tables around. I think I know that table, which due to the geography there isn't much shuffling that can happen there, but it may not be 352. There are some other very quiet tables at the aft end of Britannia, both deck 2 and 3, though on deck 3 that's where they hide those taking liberty with the dress code....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I think I know that table, which due to the geography there isn't much shuffling that can happen there

Yes, that is correct.  It has very limited surrounding space so it would not be possible to add to, or take away from.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

There are some other very quiet tables at the aft end of Britannia, both deck 2 and 3, though on deck 3 that's where they hide those taking liberty with the dress code....

That is too funny because I actually did a double-take, on at least two occasions, when I saw some who were dressed as if they were going for a walk on the beach.  They were, indeed, coming from the aft end of Deck 2.  I was surprised because I thought the dress code was enforced.  One of the occasions was the Masquerade Ball!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kordy said:

When I do fixed dining on QM2.... what happens if I'm late or have to switch it up to a later seating?  Can I just turn-up late or use the Deck 3 instead?

You can’t just mix and match. They shut the doors after a while if you are late for early seating it’s not fair on the late dining folk if their table is not ready at the start of their dining time. I presume you could try and be accommodated in the freedom area but you may have to wait.