Boston in a day

5 hours ago, Traveling Library said:

I just did a pretend booking with Old Town Trolley Boston and all they wanted was the day. If you need to pick a time I’d say noon. Note you may only have time to ride the loop with one or two stops to hop off/on (looks like trolley ends at 4 or 5). Did you have something specific you wanted to see?

Thanks. I found I could just book the day through a well known travel advice site and it worked out £5 cheaper. We will get off the ship as soon as we can and then pick up the trolley at the port.🤞. I can cancel it if I find something better.

I haven't narrowed down what I most want to see, as it might be my only ever visit to Boston so I want to see as much as I can.

I am actually thinking i will take the 1 1/2 hour official freedom trail tour at 10. It ends at faneuil hall and i think i wrote down a place for lobster roll recommended. The place i won't visit is copley square. Is it compact enough i could visit with my luggage on the date of departure? Sorry to send all the emails. I've been thinking. I'll have to review the whole thread again for the great advice.

Thanks to nitemare and princeton for their posts! Due to you guys i had a great idea! If it worked out i could go on the freedom trail tour the date of departure! There is a 11/2 and 2 hour tour at 10 so those are short. We'll see if that works out. Other posts welcome. We are all trying to do boston in a day! Sorry to clog up the thread with my responses!

3 hours ago, latebuyer said:

There is a 11/2 and 2 hour tour at 10 so those are short.

No need to pay for a tour- quite easy to do on your own and the trail is literally marked by red bricks in the pavement to follow. 

Thanks Princeton. Are there a lot of info placards along the way? I'm canadian and not so familiar with US history. Also, in terms of splitting my time between Isabella Gartner and Museum of Fine Arts, i was thinking of going to isabella gartner from 10-12 then museum of fine arts from 1-5. Or should i split it some other way?

39 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Are there a lot of info placards along the way? I'm canadian and not so familiar with US history.

There are placards for a lot of the sites along the way but you can also download the official app for $10-- https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/tours/freedom-trail-tour-app which lets you do it at your own place. There are of course tours if thats your preference. 

40 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Also, in terms of splitting my time between Isabella Gartner and Museum of Fine Arts, i was thinking of going to isabella gartner from 10-12 then museum of fine arts from 1-5. Or should i split it some other way?

It honestly doesn't really matter the order-- as has been mentioned the MFA you won't be able to see most of anyway due to its large size so I would just concentrate on what you want to see and save the rest for next time. The Gardner Museum is much smaller and more manageable. The Gardner Museum is also very interesting and atmospheric from an architectural standpoint so spending time there is nice outside of viewing specific art.  

19 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Wow! Just looking at museum of fine arts website. It looks huge! I see what you mean. Actually i had an idea. I could go to museums first then if i left at 4:30 i could see some of the freedom trail until it gets dark at 6:15. I’ll think about it. 

For a bit more art stop at the Boston Public Library (BPL). Go to the McKim Building (entrance is on Copley Square) and visit the Bates Reading Room, and the art in the Abbey Room and the Sargent Murals. The library offers 1 hour tours (https://www.bpl.org/art-tours/#tours) or you can see these on your own.  Well worth a visit and another unique Boston attraction. The BPL is on the same trolley line as the MFA and Gardner (Green Line E) so it's easy to get to via public transportation.  You could also get on the Trolley (called "The T") and take the Green Line from the MFA/Gardner or BPL to Park Street Station. That's where the Freedom Trail begins. No matter what you do, have fun! Boston is a great city.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks, what i’m thinking of doing is do a walking tour from 10-12. It ends in copley square and i could eat lunch then uber to the museums. I realize its a lot but with boston hotel prices the way they are i may never get to boston again. I actually have problems with foot pain so definitely spending 5 hours on the freedom trail is not advisable. I will try and read about the museum of fine arts in advance so i know what i want to see there. Any suggestions of must sees there other than monets appreciated! Also any dining suggestins at copley square!

The Boston Public Library has a cafeteria in the Johnson Building which is very nice and reasonably priced.  While at the BPL you can see the art which is in the McKim Building which is attached via a lovely courtyard. See my other post about the art at the BPL. They also have a FAB map room if you are interested in maps.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Slightly off topic, we will be arriving in Boston with our rental car and the plan was to drop me plus luggage at the cruise terminal. If we could drop off luggage and weather is nice I will join hubby and we will walk back from Atlantic Avenue after returning rental car.

Based on above should we program 23/25 DryDock Ave instead of Black Falcon.

Prefer as little stress as possible pre cruise and don’t want to be late returning hire car.

thanks

Black Falcon Ave is one way. He can drop you and the luggage off there though I'm not sure there is a whole lot of room to wait for you to return. Black Falcon Ave is more like a very wide alleyway (though it's paved). He may want to drop you and the luggage off using Black Falcon Ave and then he can drive to the front of the big white building (Boston Design Center) and wait for you in one of the parking lots on the front side of the building.  There is lots of parking there because there are businesses in the Boston Design Center (if you need a snack Flour Bakery has a location in the building. Yummy baked goods).  From the parking lot where he is waiting you can drive from DryDock Ave to where you are dropping off the car and walk back or Uber back to the port. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the tip. I will check out the library. This is great as i didn’t clue in i can get from my lodging near hynes convention centre to copley square at copley along with parker street. I think i can walk from oasis guest house to the museums. I will check out the app so i can decide if i need a tour or not. As long as you can’t get lost.

Edited by latebuyer

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks for the tip. I will check out the library. This is great as i didn’t clue in i can get from my lodging near hynes convention centre to copley square at copley along with parker street. I think i can walk from oasis guest house to the museums. I will check out the app so i can decide if i need a tour or not. As long as you can’t get lost.

Nice guesthouse location. Yes, you can safely walk to the MFA and to the BPL. You will also be near the Summer Shack which has nice seafood. Also you are near the Mary Baker Eddy Museum and Mapparium (on the first floor of the MBE Museum) and the Mother Church. If it’s hot out go to the Sheraton Hotel and from there you can walk all the way inside thru the Prudential Mall (there is a food court here) to Dartmouth Street. When you reach Dartmouth turn left and walk down a slight hill to Copley Square and the entrance to the McKim building of the BPL. 

Edited by Traveling Library
  • Like 1

I found the Hop-On/Hop-Off to be an interesting tour, but my guide was a serious name dropper and was constantly mentioning how many famous people he's met, which did kind of ruin the experience for me.
If I had only one day in Boston, I would head to Faneuil Hall for the history and then walk around that area. The Holocaust Memorial is close enough to walk, and Quincy Market offers shopping and food.

Thanks Nitemare. Yes i'm thinking doing it independently would be best as i can get going at 9am while tours don't leave until 10am. I'm wondering if someone has a suggestion to where i can see the victorian houses in back bay? One of the tours referred to going to victorian houses and newbury street.

32 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I'm wondering if someone has a suggestion to where i can see the victorian houses in back bay? One of the tours referred to going to victorian houses and newbury street.

Just take a walk along Commonwealth Ave and explore a little and get lost from there. I wouldn't call them Victorian in the sense that most people refer to with turrets etc-- the historic homes there are mainly brownstone and brick townhouses. 

• Like 1

Just looking at freedom trail map, i was thinking of skipping USS Constitution and Bunker hill as look farther along. Are those must see stops? To be honest, as i'm not american i can't say this stuff overly interests me but i do want to do it. I thought i could backtrack after copps hill burying ground and take the tube back from government center.

5 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Just looking at freedom trail map, i was thinking of skipping USS Constitution and Bunker hill as look farther along. Are those must see stops? To be honest, as i'm not american i can't say this stuff overly interests me but i do want to do it.

I would say that the USS Constitution is a highlight-- very impressive and the oldest actively commissioned warship still afloat. I typically will skip Bunker Hill. When going to the Constitution I will either walk or take a quick Uber and then take the small ferry from Charlestown Naval Yard back to the Boston waterfront. Essentially a cheap harbor cruise. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Just take a walk along Commonwealth Ave and explore a little and get lost from there. I wouldn't call them Victorian in the sense that most people refer to with turrets etc-- the historic homes there are mainly brownstone and brick townhouses. 

I agree.  I worked in that neighborhood for a decade and they are nice row houses made out of brick, but they aren't at all fancy.  Beacon Hill, like Acorn Street, might be a better destination and closer to the Freedom Trail to see historic and fancy houses

• 2 weeks later...

Arriving on a sunday around 3 and cruising on monday     hotel in seaport area.  will it work to drop off luggage at hotel and then spend the evening trying to see some of the sights in boston?  Arriving back in port on a Friday early am and not leaving for home until  1:30 from South station.(Amtrak)  Concerns regarding luggage drop if we were to try to see a little more before we leave.  from what i have read there is a drop at a convenience store at south station but that seems iffy to me.  also a drop on the fifth floor south station at Grayhound.  (sounds a bit more secure?)  anybody have experience with doing something similar? Thanks! We havent been to boston in years and would like to take advantage of the two little blocks of time we will have before and after the cruise!

2 hours ago, Gramontherun6 said:

Arriving on a sunday around 3 and cruising on monday     hotel in seaport area.  will it work to drop off luggage at hotel and then spend the evening trying to see some of the sights in boston?  Arriving back in port on a Friday early am and not leaving for home until  1:30 from South station.(Amtrak)  Concerns regarding luggage drop if we were to try to see a little more before we leave.  from what i have read there is a drop at a convenience store at south station but that seems iffy to me.  also a drop on the fifth floor south station at Grayhound.  (sounds a bit more secure?)  anybody have experience with doing something similar? Thanks! We havent been to boston in years and would like to take advantage of the two little blocks of time we will have before and after the cruise!

Sure, it will work out.  A hotel nearer the tourist areas might be more convenient for this purpose and won't take much longer getting to the dock on monday.

I'd ask your hotel if you can leave bags with them for a few hours upon your return.  I doubt they'd say no.  Most places will hold bags for a small tip ($5/bag or so).

Hi everyone. We are with Royal at the end of the month in Boston and we were thinking of walking to Quincy Market. Is it possible or is it too far and difficult to get there? Thanks in advance for the advice.

2 hours ago, m@rm@r said:

Hi everyone. We are with Royal at the end of the month in Boston and we were thinking of walking to Quincy Market. Is it possible or is it too far and difficult to get there? Thanks in advance for the advice.

We walked it to/from the Boston Cruise Port. Per Google Maps it's a 41-minute walk. Go for it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, m@rm@r said:

We are with Royal at the end of the month in Boston and we were thinking of walking to Quincy Market. Is it possible or is it too far and difficult to get there? Thanks in advance for the advice.

It's easy enough to do its just pretty boring-- the Seaport area you'll walk through is all newer highrises, condos, hotels etc so it isn't the most scenic area of Boston. I would take a taxi or Uber to save time to walk around much more historically significant and atmospheric areas like Beacon Hill, Comm Ave, Boston Common, etc. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

It's easy enough to do its just pretty boring-- the Seaport area you'll walk through is all newer highrises, condos, hotels etc so it isn't the most scenic area of Boston. I would take a taxi or Uber to save time to walk around much more historically significant and atmospheric areas like Beacon Hill, Comm Ave, Boston Common, etc. 

If you do walk it, and we've done that walk many times, aim for the water and take the HarborWalk.  It's not always well marked but it's much prettier to go via the ICA (Institute of Contemporary Art) and past the piers and behind the Courthouse and walk along the harbor than taking one of the main streets, which would be slightly quicker

• Like 1