Royal Caribbean Sailing With Minors - Niece & Nephew

We are sailing for the first time with our nice and nephew. Nephew will be 19 years old at the time of sailing and niece will be 17 years old. There were no adjoining cabins available at the time of booking so they are in the cabin right beside my husband and I. No problems when we booked it. We realized our nieces last name was misspelled so we called the travel agent to have this updated (we all have the same last name BTW) and when she called Royal, now they are saying we have to be split into one adult in each room. 
This is contrary to a situation we had back in January (not our kids traveling with us) where kids in a cabin beside us were rowdy and guest services on the ship helping us with our noise complaint said there had to be an adult 18 or older in each cabin. Royal is telling us there has to be an adult 21 or older in the cabin in one call, another rep says it’s fine they are right beside us so no problem. 
Someone please help or provide guidance here, I know this is not an off the wall scenario. We just can’t get a straight answer and don’t want any issues on boarding day.

Just now, I love cruise ships said:

Someone please help or provide guidance here, I know this is not an off the wall scenario.

Welcome to CC.

Have your TA call back - that booking scenario should be fine.

Yes, we did that. After she told us what they initially said of an adult over 21 in each cabin we called Royal directly ourselves and got a rep that said no, the booking is fine have the TA call us back and we can sort it out. She called and the rep she got said no, the over 21 scenario is correct. Then we did a 3 way call with the TA and a Royal rep they are saying adult over 21. 
So just curious if anyone else has ever traveled with a similar situation and what actually happened or was allowed? 

2 minutes ago, I love cruise ships said:

So just curious if anyone else has ever traveled with a similar situation and what actually happened or was allowed? 

@Ourusualbeach can confirm that the booking should be fine as is.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, I love cruise ships said:

Royal is telling us there has to be an adult 21 or older in the cabin

This is correct.  The only way you can have kids in a cabin directly beside you or directly across the hall is of at least one of the kids is your own child.

Note that guardians means legal guardianship not just a close relative

image.thumb.png.575665f47aa37a6942d1a6101ebcc47a.png

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The only way you can have kids in a cabin directly beside you or directly across the hall is of at least one of the kids is your own child.

I assumed that the OP didn't mention the relation and the kids having the same last name would have avoided the issue. I assume that's how they were able to book it in the first place.

Edited by Biker19

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I assumed that the OP didn't mention the relation and the kids having the same last name would have avoided the issue. I assume that's how they were able to book it in the first place.

Possibly.  Unfortunately there is skso a high percentage of reps who get this policy wrong. 

So, yes, you must book an adult in each cabin BUT once on board no one cares who sleeps where. You can ask guest services for extra keys. On the upside, if one adult wants the drink package, the other adult doesn’t need to purchase anything. 

• Like 1

Ok, awesome! Thank you all for confirming this, we got so many conflicting answers 🤦🏼‍♀️ Now I know how to proceed. @gerif thanks for the info on the extra keys, we will definitely do that! Thank you all so much for the help❤️❤️❤️❤️