I need help and advice

Brookspw70

10 hours ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

We have been on deck for those 2am locks.   It used to be “never miss anything “, but after :many years (first Viking trip was 2010), it has now tempered to TRY not to miss anything.  Sometimes we succeed, sometimes sleep wins.

we normally book V or DV depending on sailing and availability,   Recently upgraded to PV (gasp! Never happened before).   Cabin had way MORE room than we could use, and we spread out as much as we needed,  loved the upgrade and extra room, but nothing we would pay for (at this time in our lives anyway).

I get you on the 2am thing...  If we feel a "bump in the night" going through a lock we have gotten up and sometimes it is just confirm that we are indeed in a lock and go back to sleep.

I will say however one of the best early starts - 5:00am - was the approach to the Panama Canal.  In the dark the lights and the approach is breathtaking - from my perspective anyway.  This was almost as good as the actual lock.  We were on deck from 5:00am until we cleared the lock into the canal.

Re cabin upgrades, and especially on Ocean, we actually hope we are never upgraded because what I have gathered from posts is that you are not given a choice, you are just assigned the upgraded cabin with no option to keep what you booked initially.  We choose our cabin carefully and we like mid-ship to slightly Aft and we don't want a forward cabin at all.

On 5/29/2024 at 7:49 AM, molymoo said:

We always book a PV (usually on deck 4)... it has tons of storage so it is easy to keep tidy (we are almost always complimented by our room stewards who really appreciate an uncluttered room).  Unlike (apparently) everybody else we do spend time in our room.  Nothing is quite as delightful as an afternoon nap on a sea day, or having an early room service breakfast, catching a movie after dinner when you're too tired to socialize, or just sitting and enjoying the nights entertainment on our bed, in your pajamas!  We have had three complementary upgrades to PJS cabins and they are truly delightful ... just not worth the extra $$$ when booking.

I could have written this as we do exactly the same thing.  Like a PV for cruises with sea days.  Love the window/door configuration because i can lounge on sofa and see out window and my DH can work on photo edits at the desk and look out door.  DV is okay for very port intensive cruises.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I get you on the 2am thing...  If we feel a "bump in the night" going through a lock we have gotten up and sometimes it is just confirm that we are indeed in a lock and go back to sleep.

I will say however one of the best early starts - 5:00am - was the approach to the Panama Canal.  In the dark the lights and the approach is breathtaking - from my perspective anyway.  This was almost as good as the actual lock.  We were on deck from 5:00am until we cleared the lock into the canal.

Re cabin upgrades, and especially on Ocean, we actually hope we are never upgraded because what I have gathered from posts is that you are not given a choice, you are just assigned the upgraded cabin with no option to keep what you booked initially.  We choose our cabin carefully and we like mid-ship to slightly Aft and we don't want a forward cabin at all.

Thanks for the tip on the approach to the Panama Canal.  Its our next cruise.  We love early morning sail ins more then sail away as not many are up and we are early risers.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thanks for the tip on the approach to the Panama Canal.  Its our next cruise.  We love early morning sail ins more then sail away as not many are up and we are early risers.

Spectacular before the sun rise.

CF3265E8-140F-47A9-A244-5C4F99E88BD1_1_105_c.jpeg

DC58D314-4858-4831-979C-51998A124335_1_105_c.jpeg

3F6727D0-5678-4DC7-83C4-E283B1ABAB0C_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 6

We always get room service for breakfast and several times for lunch so maybe in the room more than others.  We do not like the loud dining facilities.  We like a PV at a minimum just to have a bit more room, especially when eating.

We're on board right now in an ES.  We have 4 sea days (out of 14 days total).  With a relatively high % of sea days we go with the ES.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Re cabin upgrades, and especially on Ocean, we actually hope we are never upgraded because what I have gathered from posts is that you are not given a choice, you are just assigned the upgraded cabin with no option to keep what you booked initially.

This wasn’t true for us the one time we were offered a last minute VO upgrade (2018). We received an email to call a specific person and were offered 3 different cabins - or just keep our initial booking.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

This wasn’t true for us the one time we were offered a last minute VO upgrade (2018). We received an email to call a specific person and were offered 3 different cabins - or just keep our initial booking.

Ok... after 10 Viking cruises, we are waiting for that phone call.

We were on re-start cruises at the end of the pandemic that 300 cabins open and were not offered an upgrade.  

I find the whole upgrade thing an interesting concept with Viking.

we have many nights aboard Viking Oceans and Rivers even an Expedition...never been offered an upgrade.  But we use a Travel Advisor..perhaps they only offer to those who book directly?

Our offer was for our first VO after completing 2 VRs. We’ve completed 3 more VRs and 6 more VOs with 4 future booked - and never received another offer. All were booked directly with a Viking agent.

Posted (edited)

Concerning cabin upgrades… my theory is 3 reasons.
1) Overselling a lower class (eg. all DVs)

2) An undersold repositioning cruise, they are consolidating occupied areas of the ship so the staff can be more efficient.

3) Issues with a booked cabin and no other in the same category is available.

I’m tracking availability for our next cruise. It was about 50% booked about 3 months ago. In those three months several promotions occurred. Now all remaining Vs and DVs are listed as “Guaranteed” with no cabin numbers. I suspect this is the exact situation that will cause the upgrade dominos to start falling. There are lots of PVs available. The upgrade fairy will visit some luck pax.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

45 minutes ago, deec said:

we have many nights aboard Viking Oceans and Rivers even an Expedition...never been offered an upgrade.  But we use a Travel Advisor..perhaps they only offer to those who book directly?

Nope, on our BIE cruise this past month we were upgraded from PV1 to PJS1.  We have a TA and no reason was given.  And no advance notice.  All our luggage was tagged for our original cabin.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Nope, on our BIE cruise this past month we were upgraded from PV1 to PJS1.  We have a TA and no reason was given.  And no advance notice.  All our luggage was tagged for our original cabin.

This could be the exact “Guaranteed Stateroom” situation I described above. I suspect the “guaranteed” late booking got your room and you were upgraded. Much easier to sell a PV than a suite and they want to sail at full capacity. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

I dread this situation. 

We don't want to get a surprise of a cabin that we don't like the location of.

If someone called us and offered us that is one thing, but I have read this before that someone arrived at the ship and were checked in to a different cabin than booked and could not have their original booked cabin.

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

This could be the exact “Guaranteed Stateroom” situation I described above. I suspect the “guaranteed” late booking got your room and you were upgraded. Much easier to sell a PV than a suite and they want to sail at full capacity. 

But, my understanding in this situation - because we were in this in December with a booking two weeks out from sailing - is that anyone in a Guaranteed situation is informed before arriving at the ship.  And, it was also my understanding that the Guaranteed cabin person that is given the upgrade, not someone that already has a cabin number assigned.

Nope. Guaranteeds not always notified before checking in. And doesn’t matter if someone already has a stateroom assigned—when they’re shuffling people around it’s like musical chairs. I believe it’s rare to get a “forced” upgrade, but I have seen it mentioned on CC more since Covid re-start. Before Covid we were twice offered upgrades for a fee—we took one which was from DV to PV. Never been forced to upgrade though!

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I dread this situation. 

We don't want to get a surprise of a cabin that we don't like the location of.

If someone called us and offered us that is one thing, but I have read this before that someone arrived at the ship and were checked in to a different cabin than booked and could not have their original booked cabin.

It was not the most pleasant of surprises.  There was a lot of turmoil checking in, and no room key for us.  We had to tender over on the Greenwich boats with a checkin person and meet for half an hour with the Guest Services manager.  She seemed completely flummoxed about why someone might not want the upgrade.  But I don’t really like the Junior suites.  They are cluttered and crowded.  Two chairs and a sofa is just too much and instead of feeling roomy they feel cramped.  The two huge TVs right next to each other are just laughable to us.  And the TV attached in front of the mirror over the desk at the foot of the bed renders the mirror useless, and there is no good place to dry my hair.  We did enjoy the larger bathroom, and the free laundry.  But the room location was terrible.  Very Noisy. Second worst ever, the worst being a Guarantee room.  We could afford to book a PJS if so inclined, but do not.  We picked our room a year in advance, and we always book the same room, deck six, forward.  I asked to have that room back, but they had already given it away.  If they had asked, I would have said no, especially when I saw where it was. So I guess I would call this a forced upgrade.

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

It was not the most pleasant of surprises.  There was a lot of turmoil checking in, and no room key for us.  We had to tender over on the Greenwich boats with a checkin person and meet for half an hour with the Guest Services manager.  She seemed completely flummoxed about why someone might not want the upgrade.  But I don’t really like the Junior suites.  They are cluttered and crowded.  Two chairs and a sofa is just too much and instead of feeling roomy they feel cramped.  The two huge TVs right next to each other are just laughable to us.  And the TV attached in front of the mirror over the desk at the foot of the bed renders the mirror useless, and there is no good place to dry my hair.  We did enjoy the larger bathroom, and the free laundry.  But the room location was terrible.  Very Noisy. Second worst ever, the worst being a Guarantee room.  We could afford to book a PJS if so inclined, but do not.  We picked our room a year in advance, and we always book the same room, deck six, forward.  I asked to have that room back, but they had already given it away.  If they had asked, I would have said no, especially when I saw where it was. So I guess I would call this a forced upgrade.

I know this doesn’t erase the lousy situation—but worth writing to TellUs and get a.) an apology or at least an explanation for not giving you a choice, and b.) a nice OBC for your next cruise. Just a thought.

1 minute ago, LindaS272 said:

I know this doesn’t erase the lousy situation—but worth writing to TellUs and get a.) an apology or at least an explanation for not giving you a choice, and b.) a nice OBC for your next cruise. Just a thought.

You are right, I should and will do that.  In addition to not liking the room, we lost that wonderful feeling you get upon embarkation where you go to your cabin, drop off hand luggage, and go to a wonderful lunch on the Aquavit terrace.  We spent time arguing at the guest services desk, and by the time we were finished, I wasn’t even hungry!  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Obviously the booking terms and or ticket contract must allow for this. Exemplary customer service, which this was not, entails communication with a passenger before embarkation and permitting declining the upgrade, which most likely was offered for Viking’s convenience.

The surprise evoked from the Guest Services manager demonstrates an increasing disconnect between customers and travel/hospitality industry service providers. An important attribute of luxury is the ability to choose among available options according to what is most relevant to the customer. Clearly this was not “free” to @SantaFe1 as there were significant costs borne by the diminished experience compared to expectations when the PV stateroom was booked.

Another disturbing trend, becoming more prevalent among luxury and premium cruise lines, is operators deflecting complaints (including using insults and shaming), and not offering or even denying recompense, by asserting the terms & conditions, etc. The “trust” that commonly exceeded minimum expectations contained in legal contracts appears to be eroding.

Caveat emptor, though of ancient origin, remains ever valid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Our first cruise in 2025 is for our 10th wedding anniversary.  We are not telling Viking or our TA because we dread this kind of thing happening.

If I get into this situation ever - and I hope I don't - and Guest Services could not give us back our original cabin or one that we considered acceptable in exchange, I would be emailing tellus@vikingcurises.com while on the cruise.  

This would be a fatal blow for me and I am not one that would appreciate this as a surprise.

The 2025 cruise has been booked with our selected and desired cabin for almost a year now.  Don't change my cabin.

Airlines can upgrade me to business anytime and I don't even care if my husbands seat is within talking distance, but don't change my cabin.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Our first cruise in 2025 is for our 10th wedding anniversary.  We are not telling Viking or our TA because we dread this kind of thing happening.

Then I must tell you this story.  We often travel over our anniversary

( in fact it’s tomorrow, and we are just back).  A few years ago, on our anniversary on the ship, we exchanged cards in the morning and I set them up on the desk.  That evening, when we got back from dinner, there was a special cake and champagne for us.  I guess our room steward reported it. So you never know.  But that was nice. 

• Like 3

It's such a small ship that there really isn't a 'bad' cabin but I would say that if there are 'mobility' issues, the cabins/decks close to the buffet/etc level or close to the restaurant level would be the best to consider, no matter what the room type is.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

After this happened, have you been asking to have the notation PLEASE DO NOT MOVE CABIN ASSIGNMENT to all your future bookings? It means you need to remember to request it, each time. I think it’s worth the effort.

16 hours ago, May B said:

After this happened, have you been asking to have the notation PLEASE DO NOT MOVE CABIN ASSIGNMENT to all your future bookings? It means you need to remember to request it, each time. I think it’s worth the effort.

This is a thing that you can do???????

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

This is a thing that you can do???????

Yes it is. I’m sure I learned it on Cruise Critic! 

It’s probably not foolproof, b/c somebody has to actually READ it. But at least you know you’ve done everything in your power to prevent it from happening.

• Thanks 1