Is a balcony worth it on a TA?

Tattycoram

I just got an email from Cunard with an offer to bid on an upgrade on our upcoming 8-day TA in July.

We've never been on Cunard (or any TA) before.  I've only been on a few cruises; we did have a balcony; I really liked it to read, get those ocean breezes, and look out. A few months ago I booked a Britannia Oceanview on Deck 6.  

My thinking was:  not too expensive (about the same as business class airfare--don't spoil the teenager); we could use public decks for air etc.; probably not too crowded to need privacy; might be too cold to use much; might be boring to look out (I don't really think this, because I love looking at the sea).  This is kind of a test trip to see if (as I suspect) my husband and I would book other trips on the QM2. 

Are my assumptions right?  

The starting bid for a Britannia sheltered balcony would be $230 for us both.  We got to choose our current cabin (under the spa entrance!).  I can get seasick so I went lower, but I'm not that worried on the QM2 in July.  With this bid we obviously wouldn't get to choose our location and maybe we'd get somewhere noisy?  obstructed?  What could possibly go wrong . . . ?

I've definitely come to value your knowledgeable opinions!

Sheltered balconies aren't obstructed, the life boats have to be accessible, so they are higher up. I think Sheltereds are really good during Crossings since even in shocking weather you can still use the outside space. Whereas on conventional balconies you might not even be able to open the door if the winds are strong. In poor weather they block the main promenade decks so Sheltered may be the only place to get fresh air. The downside is that if the weather is good and running alongside the QM2's speed of passage then a conventional balcony is a much more pleasant experience. But in the that scenario you best go up to the open decks.

There's nothing you can do to influence Plusgrade's choice of stateroom so I guess you could end up, as I did, directly above G32 but there was very little noise from that. But it is the risk with this process.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Bear in mind that if you bid and are successful you will be assigned a specific cabin. If that cabin is not to your liking AND there are other cabins in the same grade (e.g. BZ - forward sheltered balcony) available, you can call Cunard and change to a different cabin within that same grade without charge.  A quick “fake booking” inquiry on the Cunard site will show you which cabins remain available.  As of now, there seem to be quite a few sheltered balcony cabins available.

If you’re comfortable sharing, what are all the different grades that were offered for you to bid on?

I’m on the same sailing, by the way!

Edited by vieux_carre

What a great tip about the "fake booking" check!  

They had a Princess Suite and then a bunch of Britannias:  Club Balcony, Balcony, Sheltered Balcony, Obstructed View Balcony.

Nice to meet you here--and, I hope, there!

It would opt for a sheltered balcony every time. I did a 14 night TA Southampton return in August last year and the weather was very poor. High winds and rain . The promenade deck was closed on occasions but with a sheltered balcony I could still sit out and read. I don’t think you can guarantee the weather whenever you sail. I was so pleased I had gone for the sheltered balcony. Check with Cunard that you can change an upgraded cabin that you are offered via their upgrade program. I was unaware you had that option once the upgrade was assigned but hopefully others can correct me on this one. 

• Like 3

We originally wondered about booking an inside for a TA. However we weren't keen on having a room with no natural light for seven or fourteen days. We looked at Ocean View but decided we wanted the floor to ceiling windows and a glass fronted balcony to get as much light in as possible. Originally it would have been a carefully selected obstructed balcony that wasn't very obstructed and eventually we ended up in an unobstructed balcony in Club.

We travel during late spring or summer when there is good daylight. My wife rarely wears makeup but on QM2 applies some every evening between 5pm and 6pm. Having the full windows and pulling curtains back gives her more light for that. We've looked at PG layout on QM2 and don't think the dressing table mirror location in them will get same natural light benefit.

The balcony was also useful for our gym wear washing line. The garments are so light and quick drying that there's no point going to a laundrette with them. We quickly wash it through in sink and hang on balcony. If it's raining there is some cover from the deck above and we let it drip then finish the drying in the shower cubicle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I was unaware you had that option once the upgrade was assigned

That may be something to do with the difference between US and UK booking/upgrade T&C's

Even if you don't want to sit on the balcony -  or can't because of the weather - we find  a balcony is worthwhile for two reasons. As D&N said there is lots of light from the large window and glass door.

The other reason is fresh air.  Cruise lines don't like you to keep your balcony door open, but a few seconds won't cause any harm.  On the Atlantic if you open the door to the corridor just a little then open the balcony door the air will refresh in about 10 seconds.   (Be prepared to pick up papers or any other light-weight objects that will be blown around.) 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Tattycoram said:

I just got an email from Cunard with an offer to bid on an upgrade on our upcoming 8-day TA in July.

We've never been on Cunard (or any TA) before.  I've only been on a few cruises; we did have a balcony; I really liked it to read, get those ocean breezes, and look out. A few months ago I booked a Britannia Oceanview on Deck 6.  

My thinking was:  not too expensive (about the same as business class airfare--don't spoil the teenager); we could use public decks for air etc.; probably not too crowded to need privacy; might be too cold to use much; might be boring to look out (I don't really think this, because I love looking at the sea).  This is kind of a test trip to see if (as I suspect) my husband and I would book other trips on the QM2. 

Are my assumptions right?  

The starting bid for a Britannia sheltered balcony would be $230 for us both.  We got to choose our current cabin (under the spa entrance!).  I can get seasick so I went lower, but I'm not that worried on the QM2 in July.  With this bid we obviously wouldn't get to choose our location and maybe we'd get somewhere noisy?  obstructed?  What could possibly go wrong . . . ?

I've definitely come to value your knowledgeable opinions!

Sheltered are in the hull so won't - CAN'T be obstructed and are also low. Some people swear by them as being a great compromise as more protected, though in July... Half the cabins of course will be sunny side and half in the shade. We had a balcony in an October crossing, but was deliberately sunny side and was great. Starboard balconies would have been miserable as the wind was from NW

• Like 1

I did 4 TAs all balcony (1 obstructed, 1 sheltered, 2 full). And these DAs were in Decembers. I LOVED the balconies in December on the Atlantic. The sheltered worked very well even in stormy weather (Beaufort scale 9) as did the upper level ones and the obstructed was also good but not as good as the others. The ability to go out a door for bracing winds and air and to see the beauty of the seas (waves especially with whitecaps are majestic) was well worth it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I always go for a sheltered balcony on TAs, preferably on the 4th or 5th decks (those on the 6th are under the Deck 7 promenade so you do hear the strollers above which can be annoying esp. in the morning).

The sheltereds are usually not that much more expensive than the oceanviews and if you go in November or December a terrific value. I'm a solo traveler and have paid more for a night in a mediocre hotel at JFK than a night in a sheltered.

If, like me, you don't have a problem with seasickness, the forward sheltereds are an even better deal.

As others have mentioned, when the captain closes the outside spaces

By the way, I understand StephenPayne's private cabin is a sheltered on Deck 4.

Edited by Brummel
  • Like 1

Key thing is not to get 'auction fever' - and don't end up paying as much as that cabin grade would have cost had you booked it in the first place... You probably agonised enough when you made your initial booking

• Like 4