New Silversea Royal Caribbean/Celebrity Status Match Announced

taxatty

On 6/1/2024 at 10:50 AM, CalTexCruiser said:

Agreed.

This is to entice Royal and X passengers who are already interested in premium small lines to stay in the RCG family.

The only VS 250 benefits that I care about are the free laundry and the 10% discount on future cruises. 

Here is my point of view on SS pricing.  Recently, SS increased their cruise prices a lot.  They introduced a new category called Essential pricing, which is PtoP without excursions.  This new category is the best price, a PtoP with a reduction of 10% will not give you a better price. And from what I read on these blogs about the quality of included excursions, I will book mine independently.

3 hours ago, tfred said:

You know that NCL holdings is looking at  this as well to see if it is successful. With them owning NCL, Oceania and Regent they would be a likely candidate for the same process 

less likely would be Carnival corp with everything from Carnival to Cunard. 

When Crystal went under Seabourn gave us equivalent status. Quite a good deal. 

7 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

I'd think that if I had the desire and the finances to take 40+kids and grandkids on a cruise I wouldn't be too worried whether a free bag of laundry was part of the deal. I agree with drron29, this will largely be one way traffic.

Aloha. We celebrated my parents 50th wedding anniversary years ago on the Queen Mary 2 with about 30 relatives. For one week it was a little more than the cost of inviting 100 people to a catered event lasting a few hours. Everyone had a memorable time and it certainly was a different experience and celebration. 

• Like 3

I can sail solo in a sky suite on X just a bit cheaper than in a window view cabin (Vista Suite) on Silversea, but that is without shore excursions included.  If I stayed within The Retreat bubble, it might seem similar to Silversea, but I think not quite the same ambience.  I would still have to venture out to crowded bars rather than relaxed lounges.  Having big production shows is the main difference.  Celebrity are still big ships that don’t dock as close to town as Silversea (a generalisation but you should get my drift). 

I am going to do just that, an Australia/New Zealand cruise in a Sky Suite later this year.  Then I will know for sure which experience I prefer.  However, small ships have my vote and I don‘t expect to be won over. I still love Azamara, and hold my Captain’s Club level with them.

Someone two pages back stated that Oceania was a luxury cruise.  Wrong!  They are also upper premium like Azamara.  Definitely not in the luxury category with Silversea, Regent, Seaborne and Crystal.

It has been said that RCG has been downgrading Celebrity.  They definitely seem to have started the same downgrading with Silversea.  Get in quick!

• Like 3

On 5/30/2024 at 10:23 PM, dawntrdr said:

I hate to be a party pooper on this forum, but I feel like I've gotten a punch in the teeth.  With the amount I have spent to get 100 days on SS, I could have had 250 days on RCI.  Persons with 250 days on RCI will get 10% off future SS cruises as VS level members, while I still only get the 5% for a 100 day VS member, and I am the one who demonstrated commitment to the brand.  Am I reading this change incorrectly?

I don’t blame RCi guests being all over this. 

Look on the bright side. It seems a fair trade to lose discounted fares and free laundry, for 10% off a glass of beer! Sounds like a fair exchange to me! 🤔

I wonder if any other lines give status exchange with SS? Sounds like a better option if the case!

• Haha 2

On 5/31/2024 at 4:56 AM, Neilio said:

No different than what hotel chains have done after acquisitions. In almost all cases an integration of systems, policies and perks takes place. The bottom line is that the corporation needs to grow their revenue and earnings. Cost cutting and synergies are a natural outcome. I can still stay at a St. Regis/Ritz-Carlton and use my Marriott Bonvoy benefits that I accumulated via stays at a Courtyard. The proof will be if the cruises are full and demand keeps growing. As many previous posters have noted the age demographic for most of these luxury cruise lines (exception being Alaska and Expedition) is 70 years plus. The cruise lines must find ways to attract and maintain a younger clientele. Happy Sailing to All.

This is an interesting perspective. Thank you for that. I definitely leverage points and miles earned on the less expensive rooms and flights for nicer rooms, upgrades, and BC on longer flights for special trips. I've never considered it "travel hacking," but playing the game well, while following the rules. 

I'm feeling less guilty over what seems a like really unfair benefit for folks like us. 

We've earned E+ status on Celebrity, with most of our points earned since the restart. 160 of those points were extras granted with the 2x points promotions just as European cruising was reopening. 

When the sale of Azamara was announced. I jumped on a B2B I'd been hemming and hawing over. Knowing that it would grandfather us into the same level (Elite/Discoverer) helped me get off the fence. Then, the programs took longer to sever than originally planned, and we unexpectedly got points on two early 2023 Celebrity cruises, moving us up not only to E+ on Celebrity, but also D+ on Azamara.I know from reading here on CC that we were far from alone in getting unexpected points. 

Now, we will get the 350 night benefit on SS, on only our second expedition cruise with them? That seems to definitely tip in the favor of folks moving up to SS. 

I appreciate the folks saying that this is good for the company and for shareholders (including us). I think they are right. It does, however, feel we are getting a better deal than we deserve. I can certainly understand any resentment some X cruisers are feeling about Royal cruisers, and that some long-term SS cruisers are feeling about Royal and X cruisers. Of course, if this program helps keep SS up and running in the face of growing competition, I suppose it benefits them as well. 

We tend to do itineraries of 10-17 days, and have never even been to the Caribbean, so I suppose we aren't the "typical" cruisers. I've never been interested in Royal. However, if we ever have grandchildren, that could change, and loyalty benefits might sway us.

In the meantime, I am super grateful to have the laundry benefit on our upcoming Arctic expedition on Endeavour.

• Like 1

Oh, as a point of clarification, one does not need to be a Zenith to get laundry benefits on Celebrity. Zeniths do get unlimited laundry. However, Elites get one bag each, and Elite Plus folks get two bags each. There are also dry cleaning benefits.

For us, that is a fantastic perk, especially since X does not have self-serve laundry facilities. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Oh, as a point of clarification, one does not need to be a Zenith to get laundry benefits on Celebrity. Zeniths do get unlimited laundry. However, Elites get one bag each, and Elite Plus folks get two bags each. There are also dry cleaning benefits.

For us, that is a fantastic perk, especially since X does not have self-serve laundry facilities. 

I agree that it's a great perk and we use it frequently. But it's wash and fold only, so the clothes are still a bit wrinkled and there's no place onboard to iron them yourself. I'm assuming on SS that the clothes we send out will be washed and pressed? That will be really nice!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

This is an interesting perspective. Thank you for that. I definitely leverage points and miles earned on the less expensive rooms and flights for nicer rooms, upgrades, and BC on longer flights for special trips. I've never considered it "travel hacking," but playing the game well, while following the rules. 

I'm feeling less guilty over what seems a like really unfair benefit for folks like us. 

We've earned E+ status on Celebrity, with most of our points earned since the restart. 160 of those points were extras granted with the 2x points promotions just as European cruising was reopening. 

When the sale of Azamara was announced. I jumped on a B2B I'd been hemming and hawing over. Knowing that it would grandfather us into the same level (Elite/Discoverer) helped me get off the fence. Then, the programs took longer to sever than originally planned, and we unexpectedly got points on two early 2023 Celebrity cruises, moving us up not only to E+ on Celebrity, but also D+ on Azamara.I know from reading here on CC that we were far from alone in getting unexpected points. 

Now, we will get the 350 night benefit on SS, on only our second expedition cruise with them? That seems to definitely tip in the favor of folks moving up to SS. 

I appreciate the folks saying that this is good for the company and for shareholders (including us). I think they are right. It does, however, feel we are getting a better deal than we deserve. I can certainly understand any resentment some X cruisers are feeling about Royal cruisers, and that some long-term SS cruisers are feeling about Royal and X cruisers. Of course, if this program helps keep SS up and running in the face of growing competition, I suppose it benefits them as well. 

We tend to do itineraries of 10-17 days, and have never even been to the Caribbean, so I suppose we aren't the "typical" cruisers. I've never been interested in Royal. However, if we ever have grandchildren, that could change, and loyalty benefits might sway us.

In the meantime, I am super grateful to have the laundry benefit on our upcoming Arctic expedition on Endeavour.

Laundry is a game changer on an expedition. Though in the case of the Endeavour we noticed that there was hardly anyone in the laundry room and the Crystal built ship had an excellent laundry room. The previous year we were on the Cloud and we gave our clothes for washing  a lot as the laundry room wasn’t great. 
Enjoy your trip on the Endeavour ….such a fabulous ship. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, late2cruisin said:

I agree that it's a great perk and we use it frequently. But it's wash and fold only, so the clothes are still a bit wrinkled and there's no place onboard to iron them yourself. I'm assuming on SS that the clothes we send out will be washed and pressed? That will be really nice!

That would be nice. Since I'm doing an expedition, I'm less concerned about wrinkles. Still, clean and possibly wrinkled clothes are better than not having the benefit, for sure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Emdee said:

Laundry is a game changer on an expedition. Though in the case of the Endeavour we noticed that there was hardly anyone in the laundry room and the Crystal built ship had an excellent laundry room. The previous year we were on the Cloud and we gave our clothes for washing  a lot as the laundry room wasn’t great. 
Enjoy your trip on the Endeavour ….such a fabulous ship. 

Thank you.

This is Hubby's 60th birthday trip, and we are taking the adult offspring with us. They have all been on 2 Celebrity cruises, and are Classic Level, so they won't get the laundry benefit. It's nice to know that they will have a good laundry facility to use. I'll appreciate using it for the things I prefer to wash myself, such as things I don't want to be machine dried. It will be nice not to have to wash some things in the sink. 

• Like 2

We will also be seriously looking at Galapagos expeditions on SS. With the 10% discount and the 5% book on board discount, we might be looking at doing the Galapagos for my 58th or 59th birthday, instead of waiting for my 60th, since booking for then won't be availble yet. 

I suppose there is noting wrong with moving a milestone in order to save money. 

• Like 2

The laundry on SS ships is excellent my shirts come back on hangars and are not wrinkled and my underpants and socks come back folded and wrapped up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

We will also be seriously looking at Galapagos expeditions on SS. With the 10% discount and the 5% book on board discount, we might be looking at doing the Galapagos for my 58th or 59th birthday, instead of waiting for my 60th, since booking for then won't be availble yet. 

I suppose there is noting wrong with moving a milestone in order to save money. 

Galapagos was so great (we did it on Celebrity Xpedition back when that ship had 100 pax) that it is the main place DW wants to revisit.  This time I'd like to add Machu Picchu, which Celebrity offers – but I don't see it on the Silversea website?  

[Tauck does offer Galapagos on SS Origin + Machu Picchu – but we will probably do their other version on Isabella II since that ship has a glass-bottom boat and we don't snorkel]

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Galapagos was so great (we did it on Celebrity Xpedition back when that ship had 100 pax) that it is the main place DW wants to revisit.  This time I'd like to add Machu Picchu, which Celebrity offers – but I don't see it on the Silversea website?  

[Tauck does offer Galapagos on SS Origin + Machu Picchu – but we will probably do their other version on Isabella II since that ship has a glass-bottom boat and we don't snorkel]

Thank you for this! 

One of my dearest friends also happens to be my travel agent, with whom we often travel. He did Galapagos on an Agent Rate on the flora, and loved it! He did Machu Picchu on his own on a different trip before flying down to do Iguazu Falls, then boarding a Celebrity ship in Buenos Aires to go around the horn, up to Valparaiso while we were in Australia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific using up 2020 and 2021 Covid credits... otherwise, we probably would have been with him. 

All that to say that we are definitely open to a variety of Galapagos options. It is a high priority. 

Almost a year ago, a rather rare (1/5000) genetic heart disease caught up with me. I had been lucky until then, but I'm 98% positive that Covid finally made me susceptible, as I have obviously had the gene my whole life. It usually hits folks in their teens to early 30s. My cousins were 17 and 29. My late brother was 25, I was 56. Not everyone with the gene gets the disease. My 81 year-old mom does not have the disease, but she has literally sat in a recliner for most of the last 20 years, "living" in fear. I refuse to do that, I'm not sure that Machu Picchu is even still a possibility, but I'm hoping! A year ago, I was averaging walking 7.5 miles a day, and could do 9-11 mile hikes with 1500 foot elevation changes with no problem. I took a 5 mile walk every night after dinner. Then, BAM! I could barely walk from my bed to my couch, then I needed 20 minutes to recover. I've gained over 30 pounds in the last 12 months. It is not pretty! 

Anyway, I have NO desire for sympathy. I can afford to cruise. Very few of the 8+ Billion people on the planet can say that. I have never had to worry if I can feed my kids. I have never had to worry if I can find shelter. The only nights i have gone without running water and electricity have been by choice (I love camping).

PLEASE do NOT pity me! 

All of that is to say that I will add Tauck to our list of vendors we are considering for the Galapagos. 

Thank you!!!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

The laundry on SS ships is excellent my shirts come back on hangars and are not wrinkled and my underpants and socks come back folded and wrapped up.

I've even had SS washed undershirts come back on hangers!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, canderson said:

I've even had SS washed undershirts come back on hangers!

In fairness, they probably mistook it for your formal outfit given the recent dress code changes! 

• Haha 7

Has anyone figured out how to manually link accounts? I use different email addresses for Celebrity and Silversea, so nothing was automatic. I would really rather not change either address.

Posted (edited)

A little more clarification in another email I just received. I'm a Diamond on RC.

YOU’VE BEEN UPGRADED
Dear,

Congratulations! We are pleased to let you know that your Venetian Society benefits have been upgraded as part of our recently launched Loyalty Status Match programme with Royal Caribbean®, Celebrity Cruises® and Silversea®.

Your new Loyalty Status Match 250 VS DAYS level rewards you with enhanced savings and added onboard benefits, making your next Silversea journey all the more enticing. Enjoy Venetian Society onboard benefits on sailings departing 5 June 2024, and onward. Venetian Society Member Savings are applicable on new voyages booked on or after 30 May 2024. For complete details see Terms and Conditions.

Begin exploring your myriad options for discovering the world’s authentic beauty.

We look forward to our next adventure together!

† VS Member Savings benefit on all future sailings when booking Door-to-Door or Port-to-Port All-Inclusive fares. Not combinable with Essential fare. Venetian Society Member Savings applicable on new voyages booked on or after 30 May 2024.

† VS Member Savings benefit is combinable with Venetian Society Sailings 5% Savings. VS Member Savings benefit is not combinable with Essential fare. Venetian Society Member Savings applicable on new voyages booked on or after 30 May 2024.

*Laundry benefit is also applicable for guests booked in the higher category suites, (Premium Medallion, Medallion, Silver, Royal, Grand, Junior Grand, Signature, Master, Otium and Owner's Suites). Excludes dry cleaning and "press only".

Venetian Society Member benefits for Loyalty Status Match Programme participants apply to sailings departing on or after 5 June 2024, excluding the Venetian Society Member Savings benefit, which is applicable to new bookings made on or after 30 May 2024. Further restrictions apply. For Venetian Society loyalty programme complete terms and conditions, please visit www.silversea.com/loyaltyterms.

Since Loyalty Status Match members only receive the Member Level and not the associated VS Days, they are ineligible for the Venetian Society benefits listed: Complimentary cruises, Milestone recognition, “Sail with Us” referral offer prior to first Silversea voyage

image.png

Edited by taxatty
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 9:07 AM, Port Power said:

When on a SS ship, conversation sometimes relates to how many days we have on Silversea.  Very friendly, because everyone starts at the bottom.  NEVER is loyalty level ever mentioned.  Well, duh! That’s because loyalty is calculated in days sailed.

If I start hearing passengers discussing whether they are Elite or Zenith, I’ll keep on walking.

Silversea is a natural progression after Celebrity as we start wanting more personal service, larger cabins and included beverages.  Will this move really encourage Royal cruisers to spend so much more money for their cruise?

I hear a lot of discussion on topics that make me to keep on walking on all cruise lines I’ve been (including Regent, Ponant, Azamara, Seabourn, Paul Gauguin).  One problem with this approach is it’s hard to keep on walking while enjoying a neat scotch shot with a glass of water in the other hand and lovely night entertainment performance in a nice lounge.

On 5/30/2024 at 5:07 PM, MHF said:

Me too. I was on celebrity beyond in the retreat this past February for Panama Canal with my cousin.  Not again.  Any time we went outside our retreat bubble, we were dismayed.  Huge lines at the buffet at lunch, trouble finding a table, lines at shows, big pool parties.  Just not for me.

I then went on Regent Splendor immediately afterwards and wow!  Will stick with the smaller ships.

I'm just curious, if you were in retreat, what would posses you to visit the buffet? I don't do suites and do everything to avoid it.

10 minutes ago, Homebruu said:

I'm just curious, if you were in retreat, what would posses you to visit the buffet? I don't do suites and do everything to avoid it.

The suite restaurant (Luminae) is not open for lunch. So on port days, the buffet is really the only choice. (Unless things have changed since I booked a suite on Celebrity)