Noise from elevator

nightime

11 minutes ago, PRH said:

6058 is our favorite cabin.  Close to elevators and stairs, quiet.  Viking turns off the elevator notification bell at 9pm, BTW.

Just curious, as this fits into the discussion on this thread.  6058 appears to be across from elevator lobby.  Are the deckplans wrong on this deck also or  do you prefer to be that close to the elevators?  Assume the mirror cabins on Starboard side are just as preferable?  Always good to get different points of view.  

On 6/2/2024 at 3:47 AM, CCWineLover said:

for those who don’t mind deck 5….

It is little known that the forward elevator lobby as NO rooms opening onto the lobby.  We are in 5028.  Both it and 5030 (along with the starboard 5031 and 5029) have doors that face the wall.  Despite the Viking deck plan diagram which wrongly shows them facing the elevator.

Trying to understand your point.  If the Viking deck plan has the staterooms you noted in the wrong location (vis a vis the elevator) are 5044, 5046 and 5048 also not directly across from the launderette? I'd love to book that location if not for that. Thanks for your help!  

1 hour ago, Islander500 said:

Trying to understand your point.  If the Viking deck plan has the staterooms you noted in the wrong location (vis a vis the elevator) are 5044, 5046 and 5048 also not directly across from the launderette? I'd love to book that location if not for that. Thanks for your help!  

I'm becoming dazed and confused by this whole thread.  Must be our first serious heat wave-106 yesterday!!  Wine Lover (thank you again) gave me the answer I needed so will check out until she posts her document.😆 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Just curious, as this fits into the discussion on this thread.  6058 appears to be across from elevator lobby.  Are the deckplans wrong on this deck also or  do you prefer to be that close to the elevators?  Assume the mirror cabins on Starboard side are just as preferable?  Always good to get different points of view.  

Yes, 6058 is right at the elevator lobby and under the grill “kitchen supply” area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2024 at 12:46 PM, PRH said:

Viking turns off the elevator notification bell at 9pm, BTW.

On our cruise in May I think someone forgot to turn off the notification bell.  We were in 7018 and it was a common complaint from our long term neighbours in 7016 and 7014.  If we had known it was a possibility,  probably a trip to guest services would have taken care of it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, millybess said:

On our cruise in May I think someone forgot to turn off the notification bell.  We were in 7018 and it was a common complaint from our long term neighbours in 7016 and 7014.  If we had known it was a possibility,  probably a trip to guest services would have taken care of it.  

Good to know!  Guess we were lucky that our notification bell turned off at 9 as scheduled this past trip!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, millybess said:

Thanks.  We will be in 7016.  Good to know about the 9 pm turn off.  I will indeed be one to complain if it is not turned off and wakes me up.  😉 

Edited by island lady

42 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks.  We will be in 7016.  Good to know about the 9 pm turn off.  I will indeed be one to complain if it is not turned off and wakes me up.  😉 

Yes, well you would think between the 6 of us we could have figured that out. lol. Anyway it’s good info for the next time. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2024 at 4:19 PM, CCWineLover said:

I today took pictures and documented on Viking Mars of all the rooms facing the elevator lobbies forward and aft and the aft stairs.  I'll be putting it into a summary document.  In the meantime, for you, the 4th floor aft elevators:  

4072/4073 face the lobby and 4070/4071 can also slightly see the lobby.  Here's the picture.

Hope this helps. The full door you see is 4072 and the partial door to the right (as you move forward on the port side) is 4070.

4Aft-Elev4072-40704073-4071.thumb.JPG.4f6a13f12af2e805495ce2e206eaa759.JPG

Thanks for your picture.  This is very helpful! I think you might have saved me from having any noise issues as we are looking for a quiet room and cabin 5068 is available. 

We are on currently in cabin 4041 but it's on the starboard side of the ship and we won't see much of side facing the land so were hoping to grab a cabin on the port side.

There are some other options on floor six but I'm worried about noise since the floor above is a public floor.

Based on this thread, it looks like both of those cabins are directly in front of the elevator as well.

Can anyone advise? We need a room that faces forward above all else as I have issues sitting backwards, even on a train. Only these two rooms are forward, but both in front of the elevator. 🤔

1 hour ago, nikitty said:

Thanks for your picture.  This is very helpful! I think you might have saved me from having any noise issues as we are looking for a quiet room and cabin 5068 is available. 

We are on currently in cabin 4041 but it's on the starboard side of the ship and we won't see much of side facing the land so were hoping to grab a cabin on the port side.

There are some other options on floor six but I'm worried about noise since the floor above is a public floor.

Based on this thread, it looks like both of those cabins are directly in front of the elevator as well.

Can anyone advise? We need a room that faces forward above all else as I have issues sitting backwards, even on a train. Only these two rooms are forward, but both in front of the elevator. 🤔

Hi there - glad to help out.  However, I'm a bit confused by your post and don't totally understand what you think your options are.

You are currently on 4041 starboard, which is a forward facing room.  You don't say which itinerary you are on.  In my experience with Viking, there are only a few itineraries on Ocean where port or starboard makes a difference.  Most of the time you are out at sea too far to really see anything.  So which one is it?  and perhaps I can share any experiences.

So you wish to change to port side and 5068 is available.  That is indeed a forward facing room so no problem there.  " Only these two rooms are forward, but both in front of the elevator "  which two rooms do you mean?  5072 faces forward and 5070 faces aft.  They are the ones that can see the elevator area.   5068 is past that area and IMHO you would be just fine there without noise issues.  See the photo not Viking's diagram, which is not correct.  I agree with you, would not go on 6th floor there.  We've been there and to us it was noise early morning and late night moving chairs, furniture, and more above us.  Some say they heard nothing and no issues, but we had them and so have others.  All depends on how good your hearing is I guess and I have good (too good!) hearing.

• Thanks 1

I misspoke!  My sincere apologies so disregard part of the previous thread.  In my hurry I was looking at 5070/5072 and didn't see my own picture of 5068.   YES indeed you would be facing the elevator lobby with 5068!!    If that would bother you, you should just stay with 4041.  I don't think that's a bad room at all.

Kent

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I misspoke!  My sincere apologies so disregard part of the previous thread.  In my hurry I was looking at 5070/5072 and didn't see my own picture of 5068.   YES indeed you would be facing the elevator lobby with 5068!!    If that would bother you, you should just stay with 4041.  I don't think that's a bad room at all.

Kent

Hi there!

Sorry not to provide more detailed info. The cruise we are on is the Viking Saturn on Aug 31st from Bergen to Barcelona.  I am including a link to a map of the route which shows that most of the places we visit are located on the port side.

This route isn't very scenic on the starboard. At the time of booking, that was all that was available. Now there are a few room options but it seems like only in front of the elevators for both spots. (and a couple backward facing rooms.)

I don't know if anyone has stayed in room 5068 but when I went to search I thought it was funny that there was a photo of it.

A few others have said they have had a room right in front of the elevator without hearing any noise - and someone else said they turn the dinging off at 9 pm - so was hoping to get a little more information as I'd like to change our room if it's not an issue.

This is our first Viking cruise so there are a lot of gaps in our knowledge when it comes to this line! 

Hi there!

Sorry not to provide more detailed info. The cruise we are on is the Viking Saturn on Aug 31st from Bergen to Barcelona.  I am including a link to a map of the route which shows that most of the places we visit are located on the port side.

This route isn't very scenic on the starboard. At the time of booking, that was all that was available. Now there are a few room options but it seems like only in front of the elevators for both spots. (and a couple backward facing rooms.)

I don't know if anyone has stayed in room 5068 but when I went to search I thought it was funny that there was a photo of it.

A few others have said they have had a room right in front of the elevator without hearing any noise - and someone else said they turn the dinging off at 9 pm - so was hoping to get a little more information as I'd like to change our room if it's not an issue.

This is our first Viking cruise so there are a lot of gaps in our knowledge when it comes to this line! 

They turned the dinging off for us.  we were just off the Trade Routes from Barcelona to Beregn.  We were on the Starboard side and I can speak with conviction that it did not really make a difference that we were not on the port side.

Again, I would stay with 4041.  I think you will be fine.

You travel mostly away from the coast and don't see much in reality, having just been on this cruise in the reverse direction on Viking Mars.  But of course your decision.  I would persoanlly take 4041 over 5068 on this cruise.  I don't think the land will be viewable much at all.  Also, on the Starboard side is where you mostly dock, so you'll get to see more "activity".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

They turned the dinging off for us.  we were just off the Trade Routes from Barcelona to Beregn.  We were on the Starboard side and I can speak with conviction that it did not really make a difference that we were not on the port side.

You travel mostly away from the coast and don't see much in reality, having just been on this cruise in the reverse direction on Viking Mars.  But of course your decision.  I would persoanlly take 4041 over 5068 on this cruise.  I don't think the land will be viewable much at all.  Also, on the Starboard side is where you mostly dock, so you'll get to see more "activity".

Thanks for your input!  I am not sure I understand why you wouldn't see anything when you are sailing into each port though.  Can you explain in more detail?  How are these not viewable?  Just trying to envision what this would look like as I can't picture it!  😊

Did you enjoy the cruise?  

On 6/4/2024 at 6:43 PM, Ready to Sail! said:

We book on deck 3 forward if possible.  If someone would make a list for the forward elevators that would be great also.  Picture not necessary for each deck, just list.  Maybe a fun project for someone with two many sea days on their hands.😂 We love all the lists and charts provided by others regarding catagories, direction of beds ect.  I have saved them all.  

We're in 3029 right now; very quiet, as opposed to the sea, which is not. We had to skip Dover because of high winds. Looked like 10-foot seas out there, perhaps even higher.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, longterm said:

We're in 3029 right now; very quiet, as opposed to the sea, which is not. We had to skip Dover because of high winds. Looked like 10-foot seas out there, perhaps even higher.

Can you elaborate? The winds and the sea are loud? What itinerary are you doing?

12 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

When we did Trade Routes in April, 2022 we tested positive for Covid and were quarantined for 12 days and moved to a V1 cabin on the port side. As we couldn’t leave the cabin, we fully concur that you don’t see much. And we spent a lot of time looking as our veranda was the only place we could go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nikitty said:

Can you explain in more detail?  How are these not viewable?  
Did you enjoy the cruise?  

nikitty -

Yes, we thoroughly enjoyed the Trade Routes - went from Barcelona to Bergen arriving May 25, I have a pretty good feel for what the ports and views were.  To me it is one of the most underrated and best value cruises on Viking!  (compared to the popular Mediterranean, Homelands, and British Explorer cruises which are nice but much more expensive).

Regarding viewing, you really don't see much when cruising until you start reaching the ports themselves.  Even then, we would go to Explorers Lounge outside or up on Deck 8 to watch us pull into or out of port rather than sit on our balcony.  However - here is a summary of the ports in the order you will be taking.  Many have the port entry view best for one side entering and best on the other side leaving - so it's a toss up.

Bergen:  beautiful to sail out of between the islands.  Port and Starboard both nice.  watch the city from the fantail and/or the approach to open sea from the front.

Amsterdam:  you sail in via the locks (if you are going to central Amsterdam, which at some point will be stopped for cruise ships).  Either side fine, but starboard side sees the city on the right hand side heading in.  

Zeebrugges:  Industrial port - no real views from either side

Hornfluer (we did not dock at LeHavre):  You come from the ocean and up the Rouen River.  Nice view of the city and dock from starboard side.  Reverse upon leaving.

Portsmouth UK:  You'll come down the coast from the white cliffs with views on starboard side.  Entry into the Portsmouth area has best views on starboard side. Reverse upon leaving.

Falmouth UK:  You'll go along the UK coast at night.  Great views on starboard side entering the tiny port.  Reverse upon leaving.

Porto:  You come right from the open ocean into the smaller somewhat industrial port town of Lexioes (a bit of a ways from actual Porto).  Starboard side actually had better views.

Going down the coast and around to Spain - you are too far away to see much.

Malaga:  entering port, great views on Starboard side.  Reverse upon leaving.

Cartagena:  entering port, great views on either side. Reverse upon leaving.

Barcelona:  entering port, best views on Starboard side.

So I would have to say, staying on Starboard for you is definitely best.

Hoping this helps!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I am in 7016 on Orion.   If that dinging keeps me awake at night, I will bring the "bulldog" (AKA me when I am not in a good mood) down to guest services.  😉 

I have that bulldog as well!  Has the dinging kept you awake? Have you had to unleash yet?  😂

Curious, do you find being in the front section causes more seasickness? I was worried about this so I tried to stay in the middle but the cabin I chose for next month's cruise is slightly forward.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

nikitty -

Yes, we thoroughly enjoyed the Trade Routes - went from Barcelona to Bergen arriving May 25, I have a pretty good feel for what the ports and views were.  To me it is one of the most underrated and best value cruises on Viking!  (compared to the popular Mediterranean, Homelands, and British Explorer cruises which are nice but much more expensive).

Regarding viewing, you really don't see much when cruising until you start reaching the ports themselves.  Even then, we would go to Explorers Lounge outside or up on Deck 8 to watch us pull into or out of port rather than sit on our balcony.  However - here is a summary of the ports in the order you will be taking.  Many have the port entry view best for one side entering and best on the other side leaving - so it's a toss up.

Bergen:  beautiful to sail out of between the islands.  Port and Starboard both nice.  watch the city from the fantail and/or the approach to open sea from the front.

Amsterdam:  you sail in via the locks (if you are going to central Amsterdam, which at some point will be stopped for cruise ships).  Either side fine, but starboard side sees the city on the right hand side heading in.  

Zeebrugges:  Industrial port - no real views from either side

Hornfluer (we did not dock at LeHavre):  You come from the ocean and up the Rouen River.  Nice view of the city and dock from starboard side.  Reverse upon leaving.

Portsmouth UK:  You'll come down the coast from the white cliffs with views on starboard side.  Entry into the Portsmouth area has best views on starboard side. Reverse upon leaving.

Falmouth UK:  You'll go along the UK coast at night.  Great views on starboard side entering the tiny port.  Reverse upon leaving.

Porto:  You come right from the open ocean into the smaller somewhat industrial port town of Lexioes (a bit of a ways from actual Porto).  Starboard side actually had better views.

Going down the coast and around to Spain - you are too far away to see much.

Malaga:  entering port, great views on Starboard side.  Reverse upon leaving.

Cartagena:  entering port, great views on either side. Reverse upon leaving.

Barcelona:  entering port, best views on Starboard side.

So I would have to say, staying on Starboard for you is definitely best.

Hoping this helps!

Thanks so much for this detailed overview. I am going to save this info!

I'm actually really surprised by what you have written. From the map it looks like the port side is the far and away winner.  Curious though, because you sailed starting in the opposite direction from the way we are sailing, would that have any effect on what side is ideal for the scenery?

Thank you again!

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

When we did Trade Routes in April, 2022 we tested positive for Covid and were quarantined for 12 days and moved to a V1 cabin on the port side. As we couldn’t leave the cabin, we fully concur that you don’t see much. And we spent a lot of time looking as our veranda was the only place we could go!

Oh no! I'm sorry that happened to you!  

Which way did you travel from? Just wondering if Bergen to Barcelona has the better views on the port and Barcelona to Bergen would be better on starboard? 

I think I need to create a separate post as I don't want to hijack this thread! 😊

30 minutes ago, nikitty said:

Oh no! I'm sorry that happened to you!  

Which way did you travel from? Just wondering if Bergen to Barcelona has the better views on the port and Barcelona to Bergen would be better on starboard? 

I think I need to create a separate post as I don't want to hijack this thread! 😊

We travelled from Barcelona to Bergen.