Oslo to Bergen (train) Pre-Extension question

SailorPaulH

6 hours ago, nikitty said:

Hello!

The 2 day Oslo Scenic train ride is sold out for the August 31st sailing out of Bergen so we are very interested in the tour you mentioned. Thank you for including the name of the tour operator!

Would you consider this a difficult itinerary to do on your own? My mother has mobility issues and has difficulty walking so I'm not sure if there are a lot of stairs in the train station.  Also, the reason we booked a Viking cruise was so that others could handle bags. I'm concerned I'll be the one trying to juggle 2 large suitcases and 2 smaller carry on suitcases.  I'm not sure if there are porters, etc so wondering what to do as I want this to be as stress free as possible. 😁

I was told that Viking isn't likely to add more openings to the Scenic Train ride so not sure that there are a lot of options for us other than this one.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Re your luggage concern if doing the trip on your own.  Check out PorterService Norway, a great service for luggage transfer between Bergen & Oslo.  We have used PorterService 3 times, both directions. Luggage is picked up in the morning at your hotel or ship and is delivered to your destination hotel.  If planning a stop over in Flam, all you need is your overnight bag & the rest of your luggage will be waiting at your final destination. Certainly makes the train trip easier.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PRH said:

Using Norway in a Nutshell, you can include luggage transfer in your itinerary.  We did the Oslo to Flam (with over night in Flam) and Flam to Bergen.  Took Uber to the hotel Thon.  There is a train transfer at Myrdal to Flam but people to help if you have mobility issues.  This is an incredibly beautiful trip and the fjords from Flam are superb.  You can find Norway in a Nutshell through Google search.

Thanks for the information!  So you recommend a stopover in Flam?  Did you book the hotel through Norway in a Nutshell as well?  I was having trouble figuring out how to do this on their site. 

I have so many questions. Maybe I should create a separate thread and not hijack this one.😆

7 hours ago, 2cruisecats said:

Re your luggage concern if doing the trip on your own.  Check out PorterService Norway, a great service for luggage transfer between Bergen & Oslo.  We have used PorterService 3 times, both directions. Luggage is picked up in the morning at your hotel or ship and is delivered to your destination hotel.  If planning a stop over in Flam, all you need is your overnight bag & the rest of your luggage will be waiting at your final destination. Certainly makes the train trip easier.

Thanks so much for this information! I would have had no idea this existed so this is really great info to know about and so useful!!!

If you aren't planning a hotel stay between the train ride and embarkation, what happens when you leave your Oslo hotel and go on the train ride and then on to the cruise ship?  Are your bags brought right to the ship? 

There are two hotels in Flam.  We stayed at the one closest to the water, Flambrygga Hotel (I think that’s how it’s spelled!).  Then boarded the ferry the next morning after the included breakfast.  Ferry through the fjords to where it ends where you catch the bus.  Given the train timing, not sure you have a choice but to spend the night.  Evening in the fjords is magical.  We ate at the restaurant next door.o

IMG_2649.jpeg

IMG_2650.jpeg

1 hour ago, nikitty said:

Thanks so much for this information! I would have had no idea this existed so this is really great info to know about and so useful!!!

If you aren't planning a hotel stay between the train ride and embarkation, what happens when you leave your Oslo hotel and go on the train ride and then on to the cruise ship?  Are your bags brought right to the ship? 

We have never used them going directly to the ship, usually ship to hotel or hotel to hotel.  We did contact them via email to get the specifics for ship pickup (it was an early pick up -- about 4:30 am!) so suggest you email them and ask about a ship drop off/delivery.  I do remember that they were a few hours behind the train as they use a van.  Then one time our luggage was on the same train. Hope they can help you.  It is a great service.

No stairs at the Bergen train station. Yes stairs to deal with in Oslo (I didn't pay much attention to the availability of elevators in the station).  Getting on and off the Bergen/Oslo train is one step. If you add overnight in Flam, then you need to find out if the Voss station has an elevator or ramp to get you down/up to street level (again not paying attention).

Bags can be shipped between Oslo and Bergen. There isn't a lot of room on the trains for luggage. If a ship is involved, you have to make the reservation by e-mail.

If all you are doing is taking the train between Oslo and Bergen, then you don't need book through Norway in a Nutshell (NIN or NIAN). Just buy your train ticket on the vy.no website. You will have to book whatever hotels you will need in Bergen and/or Oslo and you will have to figure transportation to/from the airport (with your suitcases) and shipping the suitcases between Oslo and Bergen.

Classic NIAN includes trains buses and ferries, however it is possible to go between Bergen and Flam by ferry (which, if you have mobility issues seems to have some advantages over including the bus+ferry combination of the classic).

Of course, if you already have your flights, you might not have the night to spend in Flam (no matter how beautiful the diversion is).

BTW, if do stay overnight in Flam, do not stay at the hotel on the dock because that is where the cruise ships park and any view that you might have had is obliterated at least for part of your stay if not all of your stay.

FYI...Viking gives you an envelope with information when you arrive. It will have your seat assignments for the train. When we went two years ago, the seat assignments were really messed up. Couple were spit up in different seats and people not with Viking, got on and took any seat they wanted, leaving Viking people standing there puzzled where they would sit. There were people in both my husband and my seats but somehow we found two seats together. Other couples were not so fortunate. 

12 hours ago, PRH said:

There are stairs involved in transferring from the bus to the train but I seem to remember ramps were available.  Anyway, communication with NiaN and see what they have to say.  This is a far superior trip to the Viking one (my sister took that one) but it does involve coming into Oslo a day or two earlier.

I saw a ramp on wheels rolled up to the train at Myrdal to help a person with a wheelchair assist leave the train.  I don't know if advance notice is required, or if the train staff notify the station staff.

This site says there is also a wheelchair ramp at the Flam end of the line.

https://www.nomadbytrade.com/flamsbana-flam-railway/

3 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

FYI...Viking gives you an envelope with information when you arrive. It will have your seat assignments for the train. When we went two years ago, the seat assignments were really messed up. Couple were spit up in different seats and people not with Viking, got on and took any seat they wanted, leaving Viking people standing there puzzled where they would sit. There were people in both my husband and my seats but somehow we found two seats together. Other couples were not so fortunate. 

Two years ago, it could have been post-pandemic confusion.

These days, all the conductor needs is the right bar code on your paper work to find your assigned seat number. The Bergen-Oslo train is assigned seats.

We had no idea that we had assigned seats when we boarded in Myrdal. We asked one of the conductors about open seating and he said that there was no open seating and asked to see our paperwork.  He flipped through  until he found the right bar code, used his mobile to find our seat numbers, wrote them down for us and we boarded.

If you have assigned seats and someone is sitting in them, ask the people to move. If you have both been assigned the same seats, get the conductor involved.

Thanks for all the replies!

I read somewhere in the forum a post where someone said you should sit on the right side of the train but it's a mad dash to get seats.  That would be terrible to attempt with my mom but it sounds like if you have assigned seats you can't do that anymore?

So Viking and Norway in a Nutshell use the exact same service?  I had imagined the train ride via Viking to be a panoramic ride that lasted a couple of hours but the NIAN itinerary sounds like a full day event with many stops with time at each place? I'm not sure how fitting that would be for my mom who has mobility issues. She isn't in a wheelchair, she is just extremely slow and not good with stairs, so getting on/off the train and wandering around for an hour or so at each stop wouldn't be great for her.

We have until Friday to nail down our flights so and I'd love to be able to add the scenic train ride via Viking but don't think there's much hope that this will come out, so am just trying to decide if I still want to book flights to begin in Oslo and do it all on my own (which sounds like a lot of research and effort.)  

This is our first time on a Viking cruise and one of the big selling points for us was getting everything taken care and not having to do research or worry about transfers so I'm trying to decide. 

I think my next step will be to look at some videos and contact Norway in a Nutshell for more info. 🤠

There are several stops like at the waterfall that do not require you to leave the train.  We took pictures out an open window.  You change trains at Myrdal (ours was in a snow storm in late April) for the ride down into Flam.  In Flam you take a ferry (which again makes stop but you don’t get off until the end) to (can’t remember the name—there is a small cafe) catch the bus to the train station.  No steps here but crossing over to the bus is a short walk.  You should have your train tickets in hand so go directly up to the platform.  There are very helpful guides on the platform who will tell you which train and assist in boarding on your way to Bergen.  We were able to board an earlier train than our ticket said—no problem and no assigned seats.  I think we got into Bergen around 3pm.  If you go through NiaN, you will have all your tickets necessary (train, Flam train, ferry, bus and train to Bergen).  It may sound complicated but it really isn’t.  We bought our tickets independently following their itinerary but NiaN makes it easy.  I think there are YouTube videos which may help you decide.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Two years ago, it could have been post-pandemic confusion.

These days, all the conductor needs is the right bar code on your paper work to find your assigned seat number. The Bergen-Oslo train is assigned seats.

We had no idea that we had assigned seats when we boarded in Myrdal. We asked one of the conductors about open seating and he said that there was no open seating and asked to see our paperwork.  He flipped through  until he found the right bar code, used his mobile to find our seat numbers, wrote them down for us and we boarded.

If you have assigned seats and someone is sitting in them, ask the people to move. If you have both been assigned the same seats, get the conductor involved.

Our experience from Oslo to Bergan sounds different than yours. We boarded with the Viking Rep and she took care of everything, I don't even recall seeing the conductor. We were fairly scattered on the train so she walked back and forth the whole way trying to keep contact with the group. No one received any help with having people move who were not in their assigned seats, the Viking Rep said to just try to sit where you could. It was a very awkward situation but people tried to make the best of it. 

7 hours ago, nikitty said:

So Viking and Norway in a Nutshell use the exact same service? 

No, they are different tours. Viking offers a 7 hour scenic train ride between Oslo and Bergen. NIAN is more extensive. 

A video of all 7 hours of the Bergen to Oslo train ride is online here

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1

On our Viking transfer between Oslo and Bergen, the luggage went by truck with a during the night pickup at the hotel. The Viking passengers were in a reserved last train car with assigned by Viking seating, and the last few rows of a regularly assigned car ahead. That may be a function of how many people have taken the extension.

The train was very comfortable, the guide made occasional comments about looking to the left or right for various scenes. We didn't see a conductor.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how fitting that would be for my mom who has mobility issues.

The train ride Oslo to Bergen is 6-7 hours no matter how you slice it.

Although I haven't done it myself, I suggest the following: Oslo to Myrdal to Flam (on the Flamsbanen/Flam Railway) to Bergen via ferry. It will be a long ferry ride but you will be able get up and walk around, use the bathrooms, buy a meal. On the ferry, opt for the level where you enter the ship to avoid the steps (which on our ferry were very steep with narrow treads).

Taking the ferry Flam to Bergen will save your mother having to deal with the bus (more steps) and the Voss train station. The bus ride is lovely but it is very similar scenery to what you will see on the Flamsbanen portion. It is one less train station to deal with -- and the least convenient train station on the trip (Voss) because of the long flight of steps to the platform. Before you even think about taking the bus,  find out if Voss train station has an elevator or a ramp from the street level (all I remember is a very long flight of steps).

15 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

We boarded with the Viking Rep

We were traveling on our own. If there had been people in our seats when we boarded in Myrdal, I would have found the conductor to straighten it out, especially since we had just been told (by a conductor) that the train was assigned seats.

So Viking and Norway in a Nutshell use the exact same service?

Think of it this way, Viking and NIAN (which is the name of a specific tour package not the company that sells it) are third party providers. They have put together a tour package and you are buying it. They are different packages.

NIAN (FjordServices) is one stop shopping (and therefore very convenient) for things that you could book on your own directly with the train, hotel or tour companies. I used NIAN/Fjordservices for the convenience.

OR, you may decide that that two trains and a ferry or two trains,a ferry, a bus and another train, even with an overnight stay) is too much for Mom. In which case, all you want is a train ticket direct to Bergen (which you can buy online directly from the train company).

Regardless of what you choose flying is exhausting and Mom will appreciate a night in a hotel in Oslo before the next leg of the journey.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much to everyone for the info.

I went to the Norway in a nutshell website and thought I was contacting them but instead Nordic Visitor replied and said they only do 5 day tours so we can't book with them. They then directed me to contact Norway in a Nutshell.

Train tickets: https://www.vy.no/

Norway in a Nutshell tickets: https://www.norwaynutshell.com/

When I click the NiAN link, it automatically reverts back to:
https://www.fjordtours.com/en/norway/tours

I have no idea how to contact NiAN. 🤣

I think if I were with my husband it would be no problem but right now the idea of trying to do this with my mom might be too much. Not sure why Viking can't convert some of their 4 day Oslo pre-extensions to the 2 day ones. Obviously people don't want to do the extra 2 days in Bergen as I inquired and there are at least 50 of those left.  So remove the Bergen part and create more of the 2 day tours for people who want it. They clearly have the space.

Sorry if I sound defeated. I went on a cruise last year with my mom and I'm still burnt out from all the planning. 😆

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

No, they are different tours. Viking offers a 7 hour scenic train ride between Oslo and Bergen. NIAN is more extensive. 

Thanks for this video. That is very helpful!  I sent it to my mom and also included a video of the route to Flam.

I'll let her decide if she's interested or not. I think I'm more interested than her. 😂

5 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

So I sent my mom the video of the Oslo to Bergen train and she wasn't that interested but she LOVED the Flam ride.

So I think I'll have to book this for us. Thanks again for sharing!

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The train ride Oslo to Bergen is 6-7 hours no matter how you slice it.

Although I haven't done it myself, I suggest the following: Oslo to Myrdal to Flam (on the Flamsbanen/Flam Railway) to Bergen via ferry. It will be a long ferry ride but you will be able get up and walk around, use the bathrooms, buy a meal. On the ferry, opt for the level where you enter the ship to avoid the steps (which on our ferry were very steep with narrow treads).

Taking the ferry Flam to Bergen will save your mother having to deal with the bus (more steps) and the Voss train station. The bus ride is lovely but it is very similar scenery to what you will see on the Flamsbanen portion. It is one less train station to deal with -- and the least convenient train station on the trip (Voss) because of the long flight of steps to the platform. Before you even think about taking the bus,  find out if Voss train station has an elevator or a ramp from the street level (all I remember is a very long flight of steps).

We were traveling on our own. If there had been people in our seats when we boarded in Myrdal, I would have found the conductor to straighten it out, especially since we had just been told (by a conductor) that the train was assigned seats.

Think of it this way, Viking and NIAN (which is the name of a specific tour package not the company that sells it) are third party providers. They have put together a tour package and you are buying it. They are different packages.

NIAN (FjordServices) is one stop shopping (and therefore very convenient) for things that you could book on your own directly with the train, hotel or tour companies. I used NIAN/Fjordservices for the convenience.

OR, you may decide that that two trains and a ferry or two trains,a ferry, a bus and another train, even with an overnight stay) is too much for Mom. In which case, all you want is a train ticket direct to Bergen (which you can buy online directly from the train company).

Regardless of what you choose flying is exhausting and Mom will appreciate a night in a hotel in Oslo before the next leg of the journey.

Thanks so much for all these details!  It's very helpful!

I know you said you didn't take the train to Flam, but does anyone know if the train ride from Flam to Bergen is also super impressive? 

I was thinking we should just do the ferry for that leg as you suggested but wondering if we are missing out on breathtaking scenery?

Also, if we fly in to Oslo the day before, take the train the next day, do we need to stop in Flam overnight or could we go straight to Bergen and get on the cruise?

Is it worth booking a hotel in Flam?  If I use that porter service, I don't think we would have our luggage so just trying to envision what is the best itinerary for us, and taking into account my mom's mobility issues.  

I am really surprised my mom didn't say skip it so am excited we might actually get to do this. 😁

Norway in a Nitshell is the NiaN I was referring to.  Use them!  And I agree, taking the ferry to Bergen might be the easiest solution.  The Flam train from Myrdal to Flam is amazing.  As are the fjords out of Flam on the ferry.  Not to be missed.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nikitty said:

Not sure why Viking can't convert some of their 4 day Oslo pre-extensions to the 2 day ones. Obviously people don't want to do the extra 2 days in Bergen as I inquired and there are at least 50 of those left.  So remove the Bergen part and create more of the 2 day tours for people who want it. They clearly have the space.

It probably has to do with availability and contracts with both the railroad and the hotels. On a 4 day extension, guest stay in Oslo for 2 days then leave, then the 2 day extension guests arrive, then there are also guest traveling in the opposite direction from cruises that have disembarked. That's a lot of moving parts. Things are not always as simple as they seem. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

It sounds like the scenic portion is between Oslo and Flam? If so, that works out well. 🙂

I previously mentioned this but I don't think I understand how to contact Norway in a Nutshell. I went to what I thought was their website and Nordic Visitor wrote back and sent me a link to write to NiAN but it redirects back to the nordic visitor.  So confusing.  😂

Also, my travel agent told me the train is easier for mobility challenged than the ferry. I don't think she's actually taken that trip though so maybe she's guessing? 

I definitely need to do more research as I want this to be a breathtakingly scenic experience for my mom but also have to keep in mind her mobility issues. (She doesn't use a wheelchair but walks very slowly and has issues with stairs.)

I will do a search here on CC and see if I can get more info from previously answered questions. 🙂

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

It probably has to do with availability and contracts with both the railroad and the hotels. On a 4 day extension, guest stay in Oslo for 2 days then leave, then the 2 day extension guests arrive, then there are also guest traveling in the opposite direction from cruises that have disembarked. That's a lot of moving parts. Things are not always as simple as they seem. 

Ooh yes that makes sense. The pre-cruise becomes a post-cruise.  Very true. Nothing is as simple as it may seem.  Of course, I don't find things that simple in general. 😂

54 minutes ago, nikitty said:

It sounds like the scenic portion is between Oslo and Flam? If so, that works out well. 🙂

I previously mentioned this but I don't think I understand how to contact Norway in a Nutshell. I went to what I thought was their website and Nordic Visitor wrote back and sent me a link to write to NiAN but it redirects back to the nordic visitor.  So confusing.  😂

Also, my travel agent told me the train is easier for mobility challenged than the ferry. I don't think she's actually taken that trip though so maybe she's guessing? 

I definitely need to do more research as I want this to be a breathtakingly scenic experience for my mom but also have to keep in mind her mobility issues. (She doesn't use a wheelchair but walks very slowly and has issues with stairs.)

I will do a search here on CC and see if I can get more info from previously answered questions. 🙂

To me the most impressive part is the Myrdal to Flam trip as you descend from over 800 metres to sea level. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nikitty said:

Apologies if I misunderstand the details of your trip, but it sounds like your cruise begins in Bergen on Aug 31?

Given your mother's mobility challenges, have you considered flying to Bergen instead of Oslo  in advance of departure and touring from there? It would avoid you worrying about luggage and there are a number of options that might suit your purposes - one of which is a full-day tour that incorporates train and ferry.

It's easy to be confused by the NiaN references. "Norway in a Nutshell" is not a company, it is the name of a customizable tour offered by a company called Fjord Tours (and perhaps others). You can look at the various Nutshell tours on the website you posted much earlier ( https://www.fjordtours.com/en ). Scroll down and you'll see a number of "Nutshell" tours to various locations.

One of them is called the "Sognefjord in a Nutshell" tour, which incorporates train travel from Bergen to Myrdal to Flam (the most scenic portions of the rail trip) followed by a ferry cruise from Flam back to Bergen though the Aurlandsfjord and Songnefjord (which, in my view, is far more scenic than the admittedly beautiful train routes).

Here is a screenshot of the tour if you follow the booking links:

image.png.72a1b122701e029ef4e2ae4cc88a6b33.png

It's a long day, but will have less stress for your mother in terms of walking/stairs, etc.

Alternatively, there is a 1/2 day fjord cruise from Bergen.

https://www.fjordtours.com/en/norway/tours/bergen-mostraumen-roundtrip . While the scenery is not as dramatic as the nutshell day, it's still quite good and would be easy to handle for your mother.

Hope this helps a bit and does not add to the planning angst! Here's one teaser for the Sognefjord. 🍺🥌

image.thumb.png.88e5f713b45a415678548b3cba23a914.png

• Like 2