Southampton Hotels

I have stayed at the Premier Inn Westquay and the Holiday Inn Southampton. Both were fine. Of the two, I preferred the Holiday Inn because it had a better breakfast selection. PI will probably be cheaper.

For something with a bit more character, you could try the Pig in the Wall. Roll call buddies of ours stayed there and enjoyed it. It's very small though so it does sell out quickly.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

On the map at the bottom of that page, the hotels between Blue 4 and Blue 8 are the best-located for the city's pubs, restaurants, shops, and its few old-town sights. Holiday Inn overlooks City Cruise Terminal & popular with those who cruise from there.

Blue 1, 2 & 3 are a short walk away, and most-convenient for bus & train stations (esp. the train station for those staying for a few days & wanting to visit place like Winchester, Salisbury+Stonehenge, Bath, & Portsmouth).

#s 9 (the city's only 5*), 12, 13, 14 are walkable but less-convenient. in particular #13 shown as Jury's Inn but now Leonardo (not to be confused with # 8, Leonardo Royal) is on a traffic island

Some are walkable to Ocean or City or Horizon cruise terminals, none on that map are more than a £10 taxi ride from any cruise terminal

Other than boutiques Pig-in-the-Wall (# 7) and Ennio's (# 8 ) they're modern, most are quite bland & functional.

Premier Inn is the UK's biggest & best budget chain (nb West Quay much more convenient than New Street). It's next door to Moxy, a quirky Marriot brand.

Other Marriot hotels and Hol Inn Extras are out on the city boundaries, very inconvenient.

A wide range of room rates, you broadly get what you pay for but there are none that I'd caution against except Mercure Dolphin, whose future in uncertain.

JB 🙂

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

THANK YOU so much for this! Very helpful. We are intending to stay a few days and planning to go to Winchester.

We looked at the hotels. Would you say the Moxy is a decent choice?  Thank you!

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

8 hours ago, whatcruiseisnext said:

THANK YOU so much for this! Very helpful. We are intending to stay a few days and planning to go to Winchester.

I haven't stayed there but reviews suggest the breakfast is more of a lightish continental style with limited choices so that might be something to take into consideration if a full breakfast is important to you.

You didn't mention your dates but if it's fairly soon, Accor (Ibis, Ibis Budget and Novotel) have a special offer running just now of 25% discount on stays of 3 nights or more. Book by June 4th for stays up to the end of September. Signing up to the Accor Hotels loyalty programme would get you an extra 10% off on top.

I have not stayed there yet either but got 3 nights at the Ibis Southampton at the end of August for £315 total including breakfast.

9 hours ago, whatcruiseisnext said:

. Would you say the Moxy is a decent choice?  Thank you!

Location is very convenient. 

Moxy is known to be a little quirky, perhaps geared to younger folk

We find Booking.com gives more hotel information, photos, verified reviews etc than other sites

https://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?ss=Moxy+Southampton%2C+Southampton%2C+Hampshire%2C+United+Kingdom&ssne=Southampton&ssne_

JB 🙂

We stayed at the Moxy last October & quite enjoyed our stay (& we are in our 70's!!).  Rooms are compact but we found them to be fine as most of our time was out & about.  We found the breakfast to be very good for us.  

The mall beside the Moxy has many restaurants - very convenient.

Booking ASAP is essential as it is a popular hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mrell345 said:

For those who self booked hotels in Southampton, how did you get from hotel to pier?  Taxi?

I stayed at the Moxie and booked my own taxi the morning of the cruise.  Pretty sure it was less than 10 pounds. I used local taxis a few times during my pre-cruise stay and, if my memory is correct, I booked them online (google searched taxis southampton on my phone and booked each trip as needed).  It was easy and never encountered an issue.

Edited by Kgills
changed wording

9 hours ago, Kgills said:

I stayed at the Moxie and booked my own taxi the morning of the cruise.  Pretty sure it was less than 10 pounds.

Depending which of the five cruise terminals, yes £10 from the Moxy would be the maximum.

But City, Horizon &  even Ocean cruise terminals are walkable given average fitness & decent weather. 

JB 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 6:57 PM, whatcruiseisnext said:

I have stayed at the Premier Inn at West Quay, which is next to Moxy. Either of those would be good choices for you because it's walking distance to the train station if you're going to Winchester.

One of the many things I like about the PI is that they have a phone in the lobby with a direct connection to a taxi service, so you can call and book your taxi that way. 

I booked my recent cruise rather last-minute and most of the less-expensive hotels were booked. But the Travelodge was available, so I booked it. It was only one night, fortunately. I do not recommend it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Travelodge was available, so I booked it. It was only one night, fortunately. I do not recommend it. 

Travelodge hotels are a mixed bunch. I used to regularly stay at one in the Brentford area of Greater London which was basic but fine for a night or two. But I stayed at an absolutely awful one in Llandudno a couple of years back - needed lots of maintenance work and didnt even have the usually poor cafe/restaurant. More recently, I've stayed at one of their "new design" hotels at Hexham and found it really nice - better than a PI even.