I go on several cruises (and other trips) each year, but can't seem to find an ANNUAL plan that offers much coverage.  One cruise cancellation would wipe-out the annual coverage limit...and quite likely not fully cover the paid amount of the cruise.

Should I continue to purchase a separate travel insurance policy for each cruise or trip?  Or, is there another product that you'd recommend?

20 hours ago, TxLnghrnz said:

I go on several cruises (and other trips) each year, but can't seem to find an ANNUAL plan that offers much coverage.  One cruise cancellation would wipe-out the annual coverage limit...and quite likely not fully cover the paid amount of the cruise.

Should I continue to purchase a separate travel insurance policy for each cruise or trip?  Or, is there another product that you'd recommend?

Hi TxLnghrnz,

I haven't found an Annual Trip Cancellation plan that is good enough for me to sell due to their plan limitations, loopholes and with what's needed to cover the changes in travel since Covid started. Look at this this thread on my CruiseCritic.com TripInsuranceStore.com - Summer 2023 Q&A:

I hope this makes sense.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

I purchase an annual policy from Allianz. It gives me good coverage for medical and emergency evacuation, but only token coverage for cancellation, trip interruption, etc. I am okay with this as I am willing to take the risk of losing the cost of the cruise, but not the mega costs associated with medical emergencies. The policy costs me less than $500 for the two of us. An annual policy covering cancellation for multiple cruises would be hard to underwrite as the risk would depend on how many trips at what cost. Not likely to be available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJANDH said:

It gives me good coverage for medical and emergency evacuation, but only token coverage for cancellation, trip interruption, etc. I am okay with this as I am willing to take the risk of losing the cost of the cruise, but not the mega costs associated with medical emergencies.

What do you consider to be good medical coverage? Does you regular medical insurance cover you outside of the country?  Are you looking for your annual travel plan to just supplement your regular insurance for things like copays and deductibles, or is the annual plan your only travel medical coverage?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

What do you consider to be good medical coverage? Does you regular medical insurance cover you outside of the country?  Are you looking for your annual travel plan to just supplement your regular insurance for things like copays and deductibles, or is the annual plan your only travel medical coverage?

Medical: $50,000

Emergency Transportation: $500,000

My US medical insurance does not cover me outside the country.

Premium: $419 for the two of us for a year.

4 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Hi CJANDH,

Are you old enough to be on Medicare?

Steve Dasseos

4 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately while $50K in medical coverage may work for you, I would prefer more for the same reason you mentioned - the potential mega costs associated with medical emergencies.  I agree that $500K in Emergency Transportation is way more than enough in dollars, but the coverage is more limited than in some other plans.

If you care mostly about a medical emergency, did you look at one of the GeoBlue Trekker plans offered by Steve's company.  It offers much more medical coverage (with a small deductible) and more robust emergency evacuation at a lower annual premium.  It does not give you any trip cancellation/interruption benefits.

3 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

did you look at one of the GeoBlue Trekker plans offered by Steve's company.  It offers much more medical coverage (with a small deductible) and more robust emergency evacuation at a lower annual premium.  It does not give you any trip cancellation/interruption benefits.

I did. The evacuation coverage is the same. The medical is $100K versus $50K. The premium is in fact a little higher (not a deal breaker) and it does have deductibles that the Allianz plan doesn't. The little extras in the Allianz plan (lost luggage, small cancellation/trip delay etc.) are nice but not important. Overall, I would be happy with either plan. I am just pointing out that there are inexpensive ways to cover for catastrophic events if you are willing to self-insure for the trip cost itself.

1 hour ago, CJANDH said:

The medical is $100K versus $50K. The premium is in fact a little higher (not a deal breaker) and it does have deductibles that the Allianz plan doesn't

I guess you are over 70. So my comments on premium cost for you were wrong. Serves me right for assuming. After age 70, the GeoBlue premium goes up and the coverage goes way down. GeoBlue medical after age 70 is $100K per year and Allianz is $50K per trip.  Not sure which one is better, but there are valid arguments for both.

1 hour ago, CJANDH said:

The evacuation coverage is the same

Yes the amount is the same, but you might want to compare the coverages before your next renewal. Pay attention to the coverage for getting you back home after an emergency evacuation.  I think the additional coverage offered by GeoBlue is beneficial, but it may not be important for your needs.

On 6/2/2024 at 4:48 PM, CJANDH said:

Yes.

Hi CJANDH,

If you want good medical and medical transportation coverage, I suggest you get the Geo Blue Trekker (Multi-Trip) Essential or Choice plan for your trips outside the USA that aren't longer than 70 days for any one trip. The Essential and Choice plans cover pre-existing conditions.

You may see all the Geo Blue Trekker plan details here:
https://tripinsurancestore.com/geo-blue-trekker-travel-medical-plans/

Steve Dasseos

Hi Steve,

We're 75 & 77 with no health problems. We have the GeoBlue Trekker Choice plan and also have Aetna Medicare Plus HMO. 

Our travel consists of RCI cruises. Do we need to also purchase cruiseline insurance for any onboard medical expenses. It seems adding an additional 3rd party policy is becoming expensive with our age per our last phone conversation.

Have always appreciated your help with our policies but now starting to question what's best for us at our age.

Thank you so very much.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ashland said:

Hi Steve,

We're 75 & 77 with no health problems. We have the GeoBlue Trekker Choice plan and also have Aetna Medicare Plus HMO. 

Our travel consists of RCI cruises. Do we need to also purchase cruiseline insurance for any onboard medical expenses. It seems adding an additional 3rd party policy is becoming expensive with our age per our last phone conversation.

Have always appreciated your help with our policies but now starting to question what's best for us at our age.

Thank you so very much.

Hi Ashland,

Is your Aetna plan an Advantage plan or a former employers' retiree health plan?

Steve Dasseos

6 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Ashland,

Is your Aetna plan an Advantage plan or a former employers' retiree health plan?

Steve Dasseos

Hi Steve,

It's an Advantage Plan nothing to do with my retired husbands employer.

Hi Steve ,

Welcome and thanks for being here for us.

I was considering the Geoblue trekker plans for our next cruise in September, 

At home we have Original Medicare with AARP United Health Care Supplement.

My question is would the Geoblue trekker plan cover us onboard the ship once we have departed US waters ?

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 12:46 PM, horseymike said:

Hi Steve ,

Welcome and thanks for being here for us.

I was considering the Geoblue trekker plans for our next cruise in September, 

At home we have Original Medicare with AARP United Health Care Supplement.

My question is would the Geoblue trekker plan cover us onboard the ship once we have departed US waters ?

Hi horseymike,

You're welcome.

GeoBlue only covers you outside the USA, so yes, you would be covered. And you would also be out of its large network so you'd have the $200 per person deductible.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ashland said:

Hi Steve,

I hope you can answer my question post #14 & follow up #16.

Thanks so much.

Hi Ashland,

Sorry about that.

> Do we need to also purchase cruiseline insurance for any onboard medical expenses?

No.

And, your Advantage Plan may have non-USA coverage for when you are out of the network. It's worth finding out.

Steve Dasseos

15 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Ashland,

Sorry about that.

> Do we need to also purchase cruiseline insurance for any onboard medical expenses?

No.

And, your Advantage Plan may have non-USA coverage for when you are out of the network. It's worth finding out.

Steve Dasseos

Steve

Thanks so much for your response. I'll check but thinking our plan doesn't cover international.