Southampton/Heathrow timing

pitchnduel

Posted (edited)

We're scheduled on the Apex next April with a scheduled disembarkation in Southampton at 0700. I'm currently looking at two options for return flights (LHR->IAD). One departs LHR at 1215, and the other departs at 1640. Would folks consider the 1215 departure feasible given the scheduled disembarkation time, or should we play it safe and take the 1640 departure? 

ETA: May be worth adding that, while we're new to cruising, we're pretty savvy navigators of international ground transportation and airports (if that makes a difference to the analysis). 

Edited by pitchnduel

Posted (edited)

Celebrity won't allow transfers to be booked, at least this year (I don't think they've set up next year's yet), for flights before 12:30 so I'd use that flight time as a guide.   If you prebook your own transfers and do express walk off you LIKELY could make the 12:15.  BUT I'd personally take the later flight since, well, SHIP HAPPENS and you could be SHIP out of luck if it's late returning or if there's traffic or whatever.

HTH

Edited by megr1125
  • Thanks 1

What day of the week is your disembarkation? Traffic around London can be wild, and what should normally be a 'just over an hour' drive could take significantly longer if you get caught in traffic. I also wouldn't rely on the ship's transfer for the 12.15 flight, as transfers can be delayed as they wait for people who are poking their way off the ship. 

On 6/2/2024 at 4:10 PM, pitchnduel said:

We're scheduled on the Apex next April with a scheduled disembarkation in Southampton at 0700.

Celebrity Apex appears to arrive in Southampton twice in April 2025: Sunday 13 April and Thursday 24 April. The answer could be different for each day, for reasons that should be pretty obvious.

On 6/4/2024 at 3:55 AM, klfrodo said:

If I just HAD to be BACK that day, I'd feel comfortable with the 12:15 flight.

Surely it's the other way around? If one had to be back that day, it would be safer to take the 1640 because there's less chance of missing it.

If you gamble on the 1215 flight and miss it, you could be taking an overnight delay.

1 hour ago, neeuqdrazil said:

What day of the week is your disembarkation? Traffic around London can be wild, and what should normally be a 'just over an hour' drive could take significantly longer if you get caught in traffic. I also wouldn't rely on the ship's transfer for the 12.15 flight, as transfers can be delayed as they wait for people who are poking their way off the ship. 

Good Q. Sunday disembarkation

56 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

I’d take the later flight. 

No-brainer.

In addition to all the discussion about traffic, there's also the issue of potential delays at LHR itself.  Check-in, security, passport control.  All are potential choke-points, slowing down the process.  Plus, you could find backups at more than one of those.  Or all three. You don't mention airline or class of service -- flying coach could give you long lines.

Take the later flight and relax.