Good reminder not to share your travel info on the internet

On 6/4/2024 at 10:06 AM, papaflamingo said:

I don't think it's that people are blaming the victims as much as the victims are blaming Carnival which is entirely unfair.  Sounds like Carnival went well above and beyond with an offer for a full refund via future cruise credit.  That is beyond fair. 

I agree, since the cruise was cancelled within 2 days of sailing they would incur a 100% cancellation penalty, Carnival offering a $10,000 FCC and to book them in 2 available inside cabins for that same sailing is going above and beyond in my book. I suspect that between the FCC and whatever rate the 2 cabins were going for would be pretty close to the $15K they claimed they lost. The cruise contract alone should be enough that Carnival doesn't owe them a dime except on port fees, etc that are refunded for anyone who doesn't sail. Not Carnival's fault that they didn't accept the offer to make it right. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

"First, under the general maritime law, a cruise line’s over service of alcohol to its
passengers constitutes a breach of the duty of reasonable care. See Doe v. Royal Caribbean
Cruises, Ltd., 2011 WL 6727959, at *4 (S.D. Fla. 2011) (where plaintiff was served alcohol at ship
lounge, was observed by crewmembers staggering around drunk and rebuffing advances of another passenger, and was later raped by other passenger, plaintiff stated actionable claim for negligence);Doe v. NCL (Bahamas), Ltd., 2012 WL 5512347 *6 (S.D. Fla. 2012) (“[A] cause of action for over service of alcohol [by cruise line] sounds in negligence”); Tello v. Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd., 2013 WL 1500573 (S.D. Fla. 2013) (Cruise passenger whose son fell overboard after bartenders over served him multiple drinks adequately pleaded a claim of negligence under the general maritime law)."

Ancient history + Royal Caribbean. Carnival limits drinks to 15 per day with no warning labels.

On 6/10/2024 at 1:47 PM, nc762shooter said:

I agree, since the cruise was cancelled within 2 days of sailing they would incur a 100% cancellation penalty, Carnival offering a $10,000 FCC and to book them in 2 available inside cabins for that same sailing is going above and beyond in my book. I suspect that between the FCC and whatever rate the 2 cabins were going for would be pretty close to the $15K they claimed they lost. The cruise contract alone should be enough that Carnival doesn't owe them a dime except on port fees, etc that are refunded for anyone who doesn't sail. Not Carnival's fault that they didn't accept the offer to make it right. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

From what I understood, the $10k was the cost for the cruise, but she wanted them to cover her extra costs for the other vacation.

She continues to make posts on TikTok almost every day slamming Carnival. She called them shady, says they screw people over all the time, she asks people to share their bad experiences to put pressure on Carnival to give her her money back, and that the new warning on Carnivals website to “not share personal info” is an admission of guilt on Carnivals part. She’s really going off the deep end in going after Carnival.

She even blames Carnival for her sharing her info to social media. She says in her posts that Carnival sends weekly emails that includes a countdown tracker that they encourage you to share on social media. And that the tracker has personal info onto it, so it’s not her fault for sharing it but Carnivals. I get emails from Carnival all of the time but I’ve never seen one that included the countdown tracker, or a link to share it. The only place I’ve seen the countdown tracker is on the hub app and yes there’s a link to share it but there’s no personal info on it. Am I missing something? Has anyone else gotten weekly emails from Carnival with a countdown tracker in it encouraging you to share it? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, cruisinqt said:

She says in her posts that Carnival sends weekly emails that includes a countdown tracker that they encourage you to share on social media. And that the tracker has personal info onto it, so it’s not her fault for sharing it but Carnivals.

I bet she signed up for some third-party site during her (probable) planning for the cruise and it was sending her emails with the "Share your countdown!" thing. Although why any of them would have your booking number in the tracker is beyond me. Maybe she personalized it and added that. 

• Like 1

To quote BlerkOne..."The simplest explanation is most likely the truth - she's lying."

The following is completely hypothetical and is not in any way associated with this post's scenario:

I book a cruise.  I spend way too much on it.  I don't buy travel insurance with a cancel for any reason rider.  I'm now in over my head and have to cancel but I'm gonna take a bath on the $$$ I will be losing.

So I post booking details on social media and have a trusted friend/co-conspirator "steal" those details and cancel my cruise.

I contact Carnival in a panic and play innocent victim figuring they will hand me buckets of money.  But Carnival has lawyers.  Good lawyers who write the Contract of Carriage and the Cancellation Policy.  They go above and beyond and offer me much more than they are legally required but I'm still not getting all my money back.

Crap!  I should have thought this through.  I've painted myself in a corner and will reach out to any form of media to get my story out.  I keep playing innocent victim being brutalized by the giant conglomerate known as Carnival Corporation.

As my plan continues to go sideways and backfire, I'm too foolish to simply walk away and lick my wounds.  Instead I begin slandering Carnival and open myself up to civil lawsuits.

The cycle continues and the hole I've dug keeps getting deeper.

To quote Sir Walter Scott..."O, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!"

• Like 5

11 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

She continues to make posts on TikTok almost every day slamming Carnival. She called them shady, says they screw people over all the time, she asks people to share their bad experiences to put pressure on Carnival to give her her money back, and that the new warning on Carnivals website to “not share personal info” is an admission of guilt on Carnivals part. She’s really going off the deep end in going after Carnival.

If she was actually planning legal action, an attorney would be telling her not to discuss this on social media. 

37 minutes ago, tidecat said:

If she was actually planning legal action, an attorney would be telling her not to discuss this on social media. 

Maybe an attorney did tell her that and she is ignoring it. I don't think anyone is accusing her of being smart. 

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Sounds like a mental case. Normal people don't behave like this woman.

She is a "naturopathic doctor" - so there is no question she is a nut. People who believe in stuff like homeopathy are either crazy, or lying to scam people.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aborgman said:

She is a "naturopathic doctor" - so there is no question she is a nut. People who believe in stuff like homeopathy are either crazy, or lying to scam people.

Or living in a third world country with no other options.  EM

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PayneAS said:

I bet she signed up for some third-party site during her (probable) planning for the cruise and it was sending her emails with the "Share your countdown!" thing. Although why any of them would have your booking number in the tracker is beyond me. Maybe she personalized it and added that. 

Hmm I never thought of that possibility 

14 hours ago, crusingrightnow said:

I feel for her too but how can you spend 15 k on a cruise ?

It seems like it would be difficult.

She booked, if I remember correctly, the presidential suite for like 4 (or was it 6?) people: Her, her husband, and their kids. It might have been her first cruise and she was going all out on getting the best room and no VIFP/previous cruiser discount on the room. I think that total also included all the air travel to and from the port, hotel stays, etc. I think Carnival's offer for the 10k refund only included their cruisefare but she was holding out on getting her travel reimbursed too since they had already begun their journey to the port when it all happened. 

3 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Maybe an attorney did tell her that and she is ignoring it. I don't think anyone is accusing her of being smart. 

or telling the truth.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 5:57 AM, Cruisercl said:

There are cruiselines that require a phone call to cancel a cruise. I know NCL does for sure.

I thought it was a pain to have to do that.

It may be more of a deterent, more to trace if something like this happens, albeit not perfect.

They are victims of a crime. Why are people blaming the victims? We have all done things that we could possibly end up being a victim just because. That is for a different discussion.

Be safe all! 😎

This!

It's crazy to me that so many blame her, when she and her family were the victims of a crime. She has a slight level of responsibility for showing her boarding information online, but to blame her for a blatant act of theft by a third party is a bit ridiculous. 

Edited by cruiseracer

3 minutes ago, cruiseracer said:

This!

It's crazy to me that so many blame her, when she and her family were the victims of a crime. She has a slight level of responsibility for showing her boarding information online, but to blame her for a blatant act of theft by a third party is a bit ridiculous. 

I think the reason people are blaming her is because she is denying responsibility and taking zero percent of the blame when nothing would have happened had she not shared her full name, confirmation number and email online. Even though they didn’t have to, Carnival tried to meet her halfway by giving her 2 inside cabins or 10k to book the same cabin on a future cruise and she turned them down. She won’t accept anything but Carnival taking full responsibility and paying her for everything including airfare, hotel, etc. Plus it upsets people that she’s making new videos about it daily on TikTok slandering Carnival saying that “Carnival is shady,” and that “Carnival screws people over all of the time,” and that “there was no identity theft, Carnival probably double booked my cabin.” In the beginning she even made a video asking cruisers on board the cruise she missed to go to cabin 17210 and ask them how long ago they booked that cabin. I was so worried about that poor cruiser getting harassed on their cruise. And now she is requesting that people leave comments about their bad experiences with Carnival on the comments section of her video so she can get with them and file a class action lawsuit against Carnival. Initially I felt sorry for her and tried to help, but her inability to take responsibility for her actions plus her unprovoked attacks on Carnival has made it impossible to pity her. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, cruiseracer said:

This!

If she was a victim of a crime, why not get law enforcement involved? Why resort to extortion and why keep changing the story?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cruisinqt said:

I think the reason people are blaming her is because she is denying responsibility and taking zero percent of the blame when nothing would have happened had she not shared her full name, confirmation number and email online. Even though they didn’t have to, Carnival tried to meet her halfway by giving her 2 inside cabins or 10k to book the same cabin on a future cruise and she turned them down. 

Carnival tried to meet her halfway by giving her 2 inside cabins or 10k in cruise credit... If she would go on social media and  publicly state that Carnival positively resolved the issue.

39 minutes ago, cruisinqt said:

. And now she is requesting that people leave comments about their bad experiences with Carnival on the comments section of her video so she can get with them and file a class action lawsuit against Carnival. Initially I felt sorry for her and 

A new level of absurdity. You can't file a class action suit - it takes a judge to grant class action status. She was dumb enough to post sensitive information on the Internet and is now asking others to do the same? Well, there are a lot of stupid people out there 

• Like 1

Just now, BlerkOne said:

If she was a victim of a crime, why not get law enforcement involved? Why resort to extortion and why keep changing the story?

Apparently she has - latest I've seen is the Florida AG is investigating.

...and this is not extortion under US federal law, or any US states law.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Carnival tried to meet her halfway by giving her 2 inside cabins or 10k in cruise credit... If she would go on social media and  publicly state that Carnival positively resolved the issue.

Allegedly.