Are there days the White Pass Railroad doesn't operate?

juanarcin

My wife and I did Alaska for the first time last year and we loved it! We want to take her parents and ar eplannign a trip but there are two main points of interest. Glacier Bay and  the White Pass railroad. We found a cruise on NCL that has these stops and is in our budget, but if I look at the excursions, I don't see White Pass Railroad as an option. I also checked a popular excursion website that I sometimes do 3rd party excursions from and it doesnt show the train. Then if I check The actual Railroad website I see it doesnt search that far in advance (April of 2025), but I also see a lot of blocked out dates. I'm not sure if those dates are sold out or unavailable, and now I'm concerned about getting a cruise only to find out that the train isn't an option since it's one of the main reasons we are going. Any idea how I can verify if it operates on the dates I will be in Skagway?

18 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

April is too early. They might not be running yet. I'd also be concerned about getting into Glacier Bay that early.

Someone on these cruise boards did a cruise from Asia to Alaska and went to Glacier Bay in April on Crystal. Their picture of Glacier Bay was absolutely amazing with all the snow. So if one gets in, it will be worthy of a sight.

• Like 1

I would contact White Pass off of their website and see what date they start operating. There is snow in the Yukon in April (and May also). They may not be operating when you are planning on going.

On 6/3/2024 at 5:51 PM, Coral said:

I would contact White Pass off of their website and see what date they start operating. There is snow in the Yukon in April (and May also). They may not be operating when you are planning on going.

We did an AK cruise this year that started on late April.  We had no problem w Glacier Bay.  Note to the OP - is your April cruise date a firm date and why did you pick that date?

DON

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

We did an AK cruise this year that started on late April.  We had no problem w Glacier Bay.  Note to the OP - is your April cruise date a firm date and why did you pick that date?

DON

Likely it’s one of the very early, very cheap NCL cruises.  The ones with the bad weather and missed ports, and where most of the excursions haven’t started yet and a lot of the stores are closed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

I actually don't think access to Glacier Bay would be a huge issue. The pictures I have seen in April are absolutely stunning. It is like a winter wonderland.

White Pass could be an issue.