Post Cruise Athens

Jimorel

So we sail into Preius on the first Saturday in October and fly out of Athens on Monday Morning at 10.  We have never been to Athens and don't know anyone that has.  Any pointers as to where to stay and eat?  We are both 75 and as such not the most mobile rabbits in the field.  I believe a hop-on`hop-off bus tour would be advantageous just to get the lay of the land in Athens.  I would love to do a rooftop sunset dinner that shows the Acropolis in all it's visual glory any suggestions? I love cruise critic for planning help!!

Thank you in advance for any help.

We stayed at the Electra Metropolis a few weeks ago.  It is a lovely hotel and right in the center of things.  You can see the Acropolis from their upper floor bar and restaurant.   There are numerous restaurants within walking distance.  I will say that the cobblestone streets were a little difficult to walk on if you have issues walking.  Be sure and do your research and get tickets to things that you would like to see beforehand, like the Acropolis.  It might be a difficult walk up.

I would definitely stay more in the Plaka area then. That seems to be where everything was happening and easy to get to things. We did an extension through Viking. While we loved everything else about it, the hotel they put us in was not good (Intercontinental). I should say, the location. It was a nice hotel, but not really walking distance and it was in a residential area.

I agree with @texasstar get tickets to things ahead of time that you know you want to do. Yes, the Acropolis is a challenge to get up, but we had people that still did it, and it was lightly raining! We also went to the National Archeological Museum early and that was a good thing, as it was packed with school groups. The changing of the guard is great to see at noon, get there a little early to snag a spot at the front.

We stopped at the Hotel Electra for their rooftop views! It was beautiful up there!

Resized_20240419_140818_1713533664626.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Look at Matt Barrett's  website on Greece. It has extensive information on Greece, especially Athens.I have 4nights booked at the Hotel Attalos myself. He also lists ideas for tours, places to go, public transportation,  hotels, neighborhoods, etc!

On 6/19/2024 at 2:50 AM, sambamama said:

Look at Matt Barrett's  website on Greece. It has extensive information on Greece, especially Athens.I have 4nights booked at the Hotel Attalos myself. He also lists ideas for tours, places to go, public transportation,  hotels, neighborhoods, etc!

Yes, I have been using Matt Barrett's website to research Athens too. Lots of helpful information, especially in terms of the best districts to stay in, and hotel ratings. 

• 4 weeks later...

We stayed at the Athen’s Gate Hotel and loved it. Half of their restaurant overlooks the Acropolis and is very conveniently located near that, shopping and restaurants. We enjoyed eating our free breakfast buffet while looking at the acropolis. I’ve included a picture of the view from their restaurant and delicious meals we had for dinner there. 

IMG_4261.jpeg

IMG_4258.jpeg

IMG_4259.jpeg

We also stayed at the Athens Gate Hotel one year and had dinner on their rooftop restaurant with the lit Acropolis in the background.  It was magical.

Barb

• Like 1